Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Judgment has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judgment has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judgment has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judgment has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judgment has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judgment has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judgment has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judgment has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judgment has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judgment has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Judgment has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Always had a general interest. And I've always felt it a man's duty to just know these things.

Started with a local Karate place when I was about 11-13.

Did BJJ for two years before joining the military.

Finally a Krav Maga place opened locally and I've been doing that. Of all my experiences I enjoy this the most.

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Samraiwise View Post
    Please click the "Show" button in order to read the rest of his post.

Thanks for sharing a great story, m'friend. That was the most beautiful, inspiring and insightful personal history of Martial Arts I've ever heard. *bow*

------------------------------

>(Sorry for making this a short novel.)

You know what, we both love good stories. The more elaborate the story is, the more immersed I could be in that story.

Thank you Grouchy, you are a fearless Soldier, a great Martial Artist and most of all A Perfect Friend in this imperfect world. *bow* -Kaz
    You are far too kind my friend.

BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by iloveus View Post
    I apologize. I'm ignorant about ATA. I should have just wrote that.
    It's no big deal! I understand why people have that misconception. But every school is unique, every instructor is different, but I'm lucky to work for a group of 17 or 18 ATA schools under the same name -- it gives us the systems to teach on a consistent basis and whatnot.
    Not all ATA schools have this sort of support/systems in place so we're lucky for sure.
    I don't fault anyone for assuming tbh, only if they continue to assume after I've explained what it really is that we're teaching haha.
    Insta 2_goblins_in_a_trenchcoat

badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) badreligion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BbyGainz View Post
    Lots of ATA schools are mcdojos (or I guess McDojahng lol), but not all. I've had excellent instructors who were not just handing out black belts. I definitely don't give black belts out to someone who isn't ready.
    Martial Arts needs more instructors like you
    In Hoots We Trust.

🥋 A Karate Kid age 64 🔥 Samraiwise's Avatar
    Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz
    Martial Arts and Your Life Crew List

BJJ (Brazilian jiu-jitsu):

ChristmasFnatic
    I3igAl
    FuzzCod
    nosirrahx
    iloveus
    PrimarisIn
    mark2288
    FLman333
    RonaldMcflurry
    Bassackwards
    Gui524
    Fit1NYC
    SazabiBrah (Want to...)
    Voecheb (Want to...)
    jiujitsubro
    Fit1NYC (Might do this month)
    BbyGainz
    hoib (thinking about something more practical)
    JoocyMane13
    pojo18 (* an instructor for kids, the next generation.)
    miscHelix (also *smoker for muay thai was illegal in Canada before)
    MEDITATE
    Dirtymanjames
    Manletbolic
    Tapciv
    Judgment

Tae Kwon Do (Taekwondo):

ChristmasFnatic
    I3igAl
    byzantine75
    nosirrahx
    iloveus
    PAU1
    mark2288
    Azn00Superman
    Gui524
    sl_17b
    Voecheb
    jiujitsubro
    BbyGainz (An ATA instructor)
    XOneAndOnlyX (*ITF)
    Dirtymanjames (...interested)

...* ITF = the International Taekwon-Do Federation
    ...* ATA = the American Taekwondo Association

Muay Thai:

FuzzCod
    byzantine75
    BlackJojo
    PAU1
    Azn00Superman
    guerillaboiii(trial)
    Gui524 (thinking...)
    KENKONG
    Jax05
    jiujitsubro
    BbyGainz
    XOneAndOnlyX
    inb4everything
    W1LLW
    miscHelix
    Manletbolic
    grouchyjarhead

Karate:

BlackJojo
    byzantine75 (*Kyokushin)
    thunderykoala
    Gui524
    hoib
    Voecheb
    jiujitsubro
    XOneAndOnlyX (*Shotokan)
    badreligion
    miscHelix
    grouchyjarhead (Kyokushin and Goju Ryu)
    Judgment

Boxing:

TypeNirvash
    yellowfeverbro
    PAU1
    Rajc (thinking...)
    BlackJojo (thinking...)
    guerillaboiii
    Voecheb
    Fit1NYC (really want to...)
    latverian41 (interested in...)
    W1LLW
    grouchyjarhead
    Tapciv
    miscHelix's brother

Judo:

byzantine75 (also Ninjutsu)
    thunderykoala
    Jax05
    XOneAndOnlyX
    grouchyjarhead

KickBoxing:

ragingcrayon
    Voecheb's father
    JoocyMane13
    inb4everything
    Dirtymanjames

Tang Soo Do:

JonV10
    VeganBrahh
    KENKONG

Ving Tsun (Wing Chun):

KENKONG (*Teaching)
    hoib
    jiujitsubro
    latverian41 (interested in...)

Aikido:

byzantine75
    Voecheb (Skeptical but philosophy behind it is kind of cool)
    jiujitsubro
    hoib (interested in ...., but skeptical)

Wrestling:

FLman333
    PAU1
    Plateauplower
    W1LLW

Japanese jiu-jitsu:

byzantine75
    Plateauplower (*Danzan Ryu)
    Plateauplower's son (*Danzan Ryu)
    Plateauplower's daughter (*Danzan Ryu)
    grouchyjarhead

Mixed Martial Arts:

Jax05
    Voecheb (Want to..., his family is)
    hoib (thinking about something more practical)

Arnis (Kali, Eskrima):

ChristmasFnatic
    Bassackwards

Hapkido:

iloveus
    byzantine75

Jeet Kune Do:

Ace Corona
    KENKONG

Krav Maga:

badreligion
    Judgment

Grappling:

I3igAl
    Croatbrah

Seven Star Praying Mantis (Northern Praying Mantis):

KENKONG (*Teaching)

Black Dragon Kung-Fu:

KENKONG

Baguazhang:

KENKONG

Tai chi (T'ai chi ch'uan, or Tai ji quan) :

KENKONG

Hsing-i Quan (Xing Yi Quan):

KENKONG

Sambo:

Voecheb's father

Savate (french version of kickboxing):

miscHelix's father

Daido-Juku Kudo:

Self-Defense against Weapon:

Voecheb (his father was into)

Kung Fu (* style not mentioned):

helmet12
    MEDITATE
    🌺 Lauren Brooks Kelly (snailsrus) - Jul 25, 1991 – Jan 29, 2022
    Thread: RIP Snails : https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181070293&page=100

⭐ Samurai Break: 140kg(308lb) Failed Bench Press Recovery Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8eIkpZ29u0
    ⭐ Over 35 Journals > Samurai, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4832373&page=200
    📌 Please Call me Kaz, a 64-year-old 🥋 Karate Kid in Tokyo.

Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Tapciv View Post
    These stories have all been great! I'll jump in as well with my story - a bit long....

My first exposure to martial arts was when I was a kid and my father had one of those "illegal black boxes" that everyone had back in the 90's. I would flip through the channels and caught a few old UFC events. Seeing smaller guys beating up bigger ones always peaked my interest but I never really wanted to train. A friend wanted to check out a Karate gym (I was maybe 13 at the time) and we went over but the whole thing was strange and I never was into it.

Then the UFC (which I was not a regular viewer of anymore) became mainstream with the ultimate fighter and I got more interested in martial arts. I looked at a BJJ gym while I was in college but couldn't afford the fee (the instructor had just got signed to the UFC at that time IIRC).

Fast forward to 2009, a gym had opened closer to home which I had been interested in but heard the price and said F that. My brother said "well lets try it out and see if we like it, if we do, we can find somewhere else if the pricing is too high". We tried it out and it was awesome and the gym pricing had went way down so we signed up. My intent was to try BJJ and boxing but I got hooked on BJJ. I was 23 at the time and I really wish I had started when I was 18 and in college looking at it.

For the first 6 months, I was awful. Being one of the smallest and least talented in the room, I got smashed every class. I didn't tap a single person for 5 months. I competed after 5 months and also got dusted. But after I competed, the coach and better students took more interest. Through white belt, I got absolutely demolished. I went about 1-10 in competition and after about 1 year and 8 months I got promoted (undeservedly, I thought) to blue belt. My first competition at blue belt I won a few matches and got a bronze medal and surprised myself.

After putting a lot of time and effort in, I actually started doing decent and won the large majority of my matches at blue belt and was one of the better local blue belts at the time (for me this was cool because I was an awful white belt). In late 2012, I entered my first advanced BJJ division (advanced no gi) and surprising to myself, I was able to win. In my bracket I beat a BJJ black belt/professional MMA fighter, and a blue belt who had beat me before and also won no gi pans (at our weight) the year before. I won the majority of matches (lost some that I shouldn't have) at blue, and have been training on and off since 2014. I was promoted to purple in early 2015 but have been on and off.

More recently, I have trained more frequently but mostly no gi and have also picked up a little bit of boxing (still a beginner). My brother (who started BJJ with me, is still a blue belt but has been very on/off and moved around but also had some good competition success) picked up boxing and won his one ammy fight by TKO and trains once in a while so I have picked it up at a basic level and enjoy it (no plans to compete).

Having something where I am motivated to improve at, has been the primary reason that I keep going back. A lot of friends have got into it as well so it is awesome to work with them.

In terms of cool experiences, aside from that competition success that I never expected, training with some people who compete at the highest level/compete in the UFC/competed in the UFC has been awesome. In terms of BJJ, Gui Mendes is probably the best person I've rolled and in terms of best martial artist, I'd say Ryan Hall is the best martial artist (overall) that I've shared the mat with. One of the best instructors I've come across is Jon Thomas - if anyone in the BJJ world has a chance to do his seminar/get a private, I'd highly recommend it (and I generally hate seminars and private lessons as a rule of thumb)!
    Thanks for sharing a great story, brother.

I didn't know the term "no-gi" until reading your post, so I checked it.

Wiki>>Grappling>>Types of grappling

Gi or NoGi Training: The Ultimate Debate

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to learn new things. *bow*

--------------------------

You have been building your confidence by never stopping competing. Understanding is one thing and actually keep doing is another. My admiration. *another bow*

I love "Wizard of Oz", one of my favorites literature. The Scarecrow wants a brain, the Tin Woodman wants a heart, and the Cowardly Lion wants courage. Through helping each other with Dorothy and Toto, they finally found what they all wanted, "the confidnece".

As a child we all did want it and as an adult we still all want that, "confidence". The difference between the one who won it and who didn't was obvious. I don't have to ask myself that, "Have I tried it ever?" Well, with that said, I have to believe that "it's never too late", even for this old man. Hope this make any sense.
    Thread: RIP Snails : https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181070293&page=100

My late father, born as a farmer's son. had been a Sergeant Major of JGSDF(Japanese Ground Self Defense Force) and an instructor. He and I had never see eye to eye and all those years I thought that was because I had disappointed him. But there was three exceptions which proved me wrong in retrospect. The first two were when I got married and subsequently my daughter who's his granddaughter was born and the third one was.............

Years ago, when I was combing through his belongings to clear them out I found a set of protective gear and a moku-ju (*wooden replica of a rifle with an white rubber tip instead of bayonet). I remembered them well because the last time I had touched them my father got really angry. I was a little boy and just curious.

Showing my mother his gears and wooden rifle, I asked her if she knew why my father got that angry. She laughed and told me that my father didn't want me to become a soldier like him. He wanted me to be a doctor, lawyer or banker. So he had never talked about his military training including hand-to-hand combat, which he must be good at after all he's an instructor. Wish he taught me some of his techniques when I was a child. My father and I had never played catch or any physical activity together. The word I had ever heard from him was "Study!"

Of course, I've never become a doctor, lawyer or banker. But the last time I saw him before he died, - even with his dementia he always recognized me -, he looked at me and nodded approvingly. "You look good, I know you've been lifting weights. Maybe I was wrong......" said my father. He seemed tired, closed his eyes and went to sleep.

Two weeks later, my mother called me. That was the saddest day of my life, the day I lost the one who I thought didn't like his son but actually I was that son who was wrong all along.

What is Jukendo?
    Jukendo means the “Way of the Bayonet” and it is a modern budo that can be traced back to the traditional Japanese schools of sojutsu (spearmanship).
    Spoiler!
    Most of the practitioners are Japanese military personnel, there are civilians too but not many.

I wonder similar Martial Arts are practiced/developed in other countries military as well, or what kind of hand-to-hand military combat training are there?

jukendo-2.jpg
    Last edited by Samraiwise; 01-21-2019 at 03:25 AM.

KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I am sure that there are many members here in BB.com who practice martial arts, one form or another.

What's your story, how/why you started it (especially your choice of martial arts) and you are still doing it.

Why you love it so much?

Humor this old man, ANYTHING!!

Share your story with us or forget it forever.

*Sorry my English sucks as always. *shrug*
    I would knock you out

Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Azn00Superman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by KingSWRV View Post
    I would knock you out
    Lol brag about KOing a 51 year old man, tough guy you are. I'm sure hed wreck your shyt when hes younger tho.
    *Misc Zombie Response Team*

MISC WRITING CHALLENGE:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151602103
    MISC MUAY THAI CREW
    MISC WRITER CREW

iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This is irrelevant but can't wait for this:

Financial Freedom/Passive Income Crew
    Entrepreneur Crew
    MMA Crew
    Cinematographer Crew
    Photographer Crew
    Ski/Snowboard Crew
    Guns Crew

iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iloveus has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would knock you out
    Entrepreneur Crew
    MMA Crew
    Cinematographer Crew
    Photographer Crew
    Ski/Snowboard Crew
    Guns Crew

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

What's your story, how/why you started it (especially your choice of martial arts) and you are still doing it.
    Is Shota-Kan a Martial art, or was that just a Kata I learned? At any rate I started because a BB was teaching it in the park as part of a summer kid's program. He picked several of us to continue with him and I studied under him for 3 years, got my Orange belt as I recall.

No longer doing it but no regrets at all for that experience in my life.

1st time I walked up to a monolift for my 1st powerlifting event there were hundreds of people just watching me. Due to Karate and Wrestling that was a non issue, I was not intimitaded for a single second.
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) TheIronAsylum has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    i keep getting injured in bjj so about done with that
    iv done muay thai as well

i want to pick up martial art with the Karambit or knife stuff tbh

jwalker42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jwalker42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jwalker42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jwalker42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jwalker42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jwalker42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jwalker42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jwalker42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jwalker42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jwalker42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jwalker42 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm from Iowa so if your parents are in the sport they start you off as soon as you're able. Parents, uncles, cousins, friends... we all do it. A few of the good ole boys still even say it with a long, drawn out a, wraaastlin they call it. It's hard to describe how important this sport is around here to an outsider. In school I competed all the way up through High School. I was small though. Always one of the lighter weight classes and growing up that attracts bullying. When you've been trained to wrestle your whole life you tend to not take a lot of **** though. In Elementary I got into fist fights with bigger kids who thought their size was important. Although it was normal here, and the teachers were cool enough to understand boys will be boys, my parents decided I needed an extra amount of schooling. From 5-16 they put me into tae kwon do as well. So after wrestling5x a week, 3x a week I would go train at the local dojo. Intermittently I get to do things like muay thai/boxing/jits but I don't do it as much as growing up. Kinda burnt out tbh but I still practice my kata and roll with my mate who is a pro fighter. I haven't been in a real fist fight since college though. There's this akido story about a master training so that he may never have to throw another punch. The true essence of marital arts imo.
    "You've gotta make that **** look appealing, not like you're attempting to mix a batch of cake batter like your life depends on it." TheClips on jerking off in front a girl

Rep back 100%

Mods are kingz <---mod negged 2x for quoting TheClips and they keep changing it to this crew.

Will rep TheClips 4 life crew.

veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) veggie530 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Started in TKD at 5. Kung Fu at 13. Did BJJ/Muay Thai/Judo/Wrestling/boxing at 21. Dabbled in every art you can think of over time.

Taught from ages 15-22. Most rewarding thing I've ever done.

edit: If you want to put me under something: Kung Fu, Karate (goju ryu), BJJ, wresting and Muay Thai
    Last edited by veggie530; 01-20-2019 at 09:34 PM.
    August 2023:
    BW: 194
    B: 315 x 3, 225 x 14 (PR: 335)
    S: 315 x 2, 225 x 18 (PR's)
    DL: 405 x 1 (PR); Trap Bar DL: 405 x 1
    OHP: 185 x 3 (PR), 135 x 16
    Chins: 22(PR) Pushups: 83 (PR: 101)
    1 Mile: 6:45 (PR: 5:52)

Originally Posted by TheIronAsylum View Post

Kali-Arnis Escrimo or Pencak Silat

Forgot about this gem:
    Last edited by iloveus; 01-20-2019 at 09:46 PM.
    Entrepreneur Crew
    MMA Crew
    Cinematographer Crew
    Photographer Crew
    Ski/Snowboard Crew
    Guns Crew

I would knock you out
    Of course, you could. Look at your abs! So what's your story? When you have time, share it with us.

Originally Posted by Azn00Superman View Post
    Lol brag about KOing a 51 year old man, tough guy you are. I'm sure hed wreck your shyt when hes younger tho.
    Thanks for covering my six, my old friend.

Now since you mentioned it, the word "old man", actually I am "59" not "51", I'm flattered and honored. *bow&chuckle*

Hey, take care of yourself, brother. *bow*

---------------------

BTW, what's wrong with y'all, young generations nowadays with those six pack and all! What your mama feed you, I can't help but wonder!?

Haha, to be honest, I'm just jealous.

Originally Posted by Bando View Post
    Is Shota-Kan a Martial art, or was that just a Kata I learned? At any rate I started because a BB was teaching it in the park as part of a summer kid's program. He picked several of us to continue with him and I studied under him for 3 years, got my Orange belt as I recall.

No longer doing it but no regrets at all for that experience in my life.

1st time I walked up to a monolift for my 1st powerlifting event there were hundreds of people just watching me. Due to Karate and Wrestling that was a non issue, I was not intimidated for a single second.
    All these years and still now what I want is "confidence". Thanks for sharing, good to know at least one of us got it from Martial Arts.

Originally Posted by TheIronAsylum View Post

Aside from knife fighting or Stick-fighting, there are also many hand-to-hand combat techniques and especially against opponents with weapons.

But tell you the truth, in real fights, especially a strong person like you, most of the time it's your own strength which hurt your own body, like wrists, shoulders, knees and ankles when you strike opponents. The stronger you are, the higher the risk of injuring yourself would be. That's why you must get used to not only be beaten but beat others body, skeletal structures and hard muscles and learn where you shouldn't hit or which body part of yours shouldn't be used when you fend off the attack. That's my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by jwalker42 View Post
    I haven't been in a real fist fight since college though. There's this akido story about a master training so that he may never have to throw another punch. The true essence of marital arts imo.
    I cannot agree more. "The best way to win is not to fight." or at least "not to start a fight".

I never fought with bigger kids when I was a kid, they just beat me up. That's sad and embarrassing but it's the truth about my childhood.

Originally Posted by veggie530 View Post
    Started in TKD at 5. Kung Fu at 13. Did BJJ/Muay Thai/Judo/Wrestling/boxing at 21. Dabbled in every art you can think of over time.

Taught from ages 15-22. Most rewarding thing I've ever done.
    That's what I really want to hear. Thanks for sharing, glad to have you here. *bow*
    Originally Posted by veggie530 View Post
    edit: If you want to put me under something: Kung Fu, Karate (goju ryu), BJJ, wresting and Muay Thai
    With pleasure!
    Last edited by Samraiwise; 01-21-2019 at 04:56 AM.

Polaris has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Polaris has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Polaris has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Polaris has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Polaris has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Polaris has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Polaris has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Polaris has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Polaris has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Polaris has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Polaris has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Did Tae Kwon Do when I was a little kid (didn't like it all).

Later did Wing Chun for a while.

Later trained at an MMA gym.

Have been out of martial arts for a long time now, for various reasons, but part of me really wants to get back into some BJJ and possibly some Muay Thai or boxing. If I started I'm not sure I'd be motivated enough to show up to class consistently though. The biggest reason - I love just working out on my own, because you can do that on your own time/schedule. I like to go straight after work, knock it out, and then still have a decent amount of time left in the evening to chill (and get to bed at a decent time as I generally wake up around 5 am). Whereas if you take classes, then obviously you have to base it around their schedule.

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I watched Fedor fight a few times on YouTube, and also watched ECW sometimes. Rob Van Damme FTW, don’t mess with me bro.

On a serial note I worked at a prestigious Tkd school, it’s all BS, the Olympic Champ who ran the chain of schools would get f*cking mauled by any high school wrestler, too much red pill.

KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KingSWRV has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Azn00Superman View Post
    oh really he looked mid 30s my bad. thats just my approach to the arts bruh. nothing personel kid. thats just how I fight. I see a target I KO it. respect my chosen style of outlet of self expression pls

I cannot agree more. "The best way to win is not to fight." or at least "not to start a fight".

Entrepreneur Crew
    MMA Crew
    Cinematographer Crew
    Photographer Crew
    Ski/Snowboard Crew
    Guns Crew

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
    Did Tae Kwon Do when I was a little kid (didn't like it all).

Later did Wing Chun for a while.

Later trained at an MMA gym.

Have been out of martial arts for a long time now, for various reasons, but part of me really wants to get back into some BJJ and possibly some Muay Thai or boxing. If I started I'm not sure I'd be motivated enough to show up to class consistently though. The biggest reason - I love just working out on my own, because you can do that on your own time/schedule. I like to go straight after work, knock it out, and then still have a decent amount of time left in the evening to chill (and get to bed at a decent time as I generally wake up around 5 am). Whereas if you take classes, then obviously you have to base it around their schedule.
    The same here, I mean currently train myself at the spots alongside the rivers or beaches where I often jog and also I lift at my home alone. My schedule, at my convenience.

BTW, I noticed that you are BB.com class of 2003, one of the oldest members (not about age, lol). It's a great pleasure to meet you! *bow*

apo99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) apo99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) apo99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) apo99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) apo99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) apo99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) apo99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) apo99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) apo99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) apo99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) apo99 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    just signed back to Pankration/Pankrace here in Montreal after a 3 year break. very happy to be back. Pankration was a great part of my teenage life.
    100% spartan-
    cxbl paintball-
    fortune only comes once, but misfortune keeps on coming-
    eliniko crew

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    oh really he looked mid 30s my bad. thats just my approach to the arts bruh. nothing personel kid. thats just how I fight. I see a target I KO it. respect my chosen style of outlet of self expression pls
    Lol, I’d tear your skinny little noodle arms off and beat you with them....

Caz serious question. Why does Japanese have so many words for the same bodypart or is just a misunderstanding on my part.

Te = hand
    Katate = wrist, in example katate tori (wrist torture)
    Kubi = neck
    Then tekubi (neck of hand which is also wrist)
    I’m trying to “learn” the parts of the language I need to know so instead of just memorizing “words” I will actually know what the technique “means” in Japanese, but jeez some of this is confusing. I made kind of a cheat sheet to study so when I do a belt test this Saturday I’ll know what I need to do based on the Japanese name of the move. So far it’s working well with the exception of a few like mentioned above where I just have to remember that both words mean the same thing...

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Confidence is silent. Insecurity is loud.

Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    Lol, I’d tear your skinny little noodle arms off and beat you with them....
    Originally Posted by grouchyjarhead View Post
    Confidence is silent. Insecurity is loud.
    Hey, easy soldiers!! (*bow*) He turned out to be a nice young man. He just reminds us of our own youth, haha.

Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    Caz serious question. Why does Japanese have so many words for the same bodypart or is just a misunderstanding on my part.

Te = hand
    Katate = wrist, in example katate tori (wrist torture)
    Kubi = neck
    Then tekubi (neck of hand which is also wrist)
    I’m trying to “learn” the parts of the language I need to know so instead of just memorizing “words” I will actually know what the technique “means” in Japanese, but jeez some of this is confusing. I made kind of a cheat sheet to study so when I do a belt test this Saturday I’ll know what I need to do based on the Japanese name of the move. So far it’s working well with the exception of a few like mentioned above where I just have to remember that both words mean the same thing...
    Since you said the test is scheduled on "this Saturday", here is my quick res. Hope this would help and good luck, m'friend!!

1) Te = hand, YES but conditional....

*Katate = Kata-te = single hand or one hand, related expression : Ryo(u)-te = both hands or two hands
    ** Kata means "one of two", Ryo means "both of two"
    e.g. Kata-ashi = single foot, Ryo-ashi = both feet

*** Te-no-hira = sho(u) = palm, te-no-ko(u) = back of the hand,
    Ordinary people usually think Te = finger + palm + back of the hand, and sometimes including wrist too
    But we Martial Artists distinguish the differences between those three (four) parts.

Spoiler!

2) Kubi = neck, YES

*Te-kubi = wrist, similar expression : Ashi-kubi = ankle

Spoiler!

Originally Posted by Fatoichi View Post
    I came to martial arts very late in life. I now train in Shinkendo which I find interesting and a challenge. I tried Kendo, but it wasn't for me.

I used to train in Aikibujutsu, but there aren't any dojos in my area. I also did Krav Maga for a bit - would like to go back if I can feel comfortable dedicating the time.

It always was and is more about coordinating mind and body as well as getting some exercise. The social aspect was a draw as well, meeting people with a similar interest.
    Thanks for sharing your story! Pray tell us more about Shinkendo, Aikibujutsu and especially Krav Maga when you have time, much appreciated!!

Originally Posted by apo99 View Post
    just signed back to Pankration/Pankrace here in Montreal after a 3 year break. very happy to be back. Pankration was a great part of my teenage life.
    Very interesting, you too tell us more about Modern Pankration, thanks for the res!!
    Last edited by Samraiwise; 01-23-2019 at 06:24 AM.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks for the explanation Kaz. Yea I have a ryote tori in my Yawara stuff as well basically double wrist and elbow locks from double hand grabs. And a ryote hazushi or two hand escape as well as a morote versions which are two on one. My favorite is Akushu kotemaki tori (probably spelling it wrong) but it’s a winding joint lock (thumb, wrist, elbow, shoulder -in that order up the joint chain)from a handshake or grab. My wife is loving her new role as my Uke for the next few days as I try to make sure I can hit them all smoothly .

BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BbyGainz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    GUYYYYSSSS

I just received my 2018 District Champ AND World Championship placement certificates in the mail.
    I got 1st in my district (the whole southeastern US) in traditional weapons (bo staff)
    I placed 12th in the world in my ring, which is probably one of the most competitive and talented groups of women in my organization.

Insta 2_goblins_in_a_trenchcoat

fidélité à la mort MajesticLion's Avatar
    MajesticLion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajesticLion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajesticLion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajesticLion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajesticLion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajesticLion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajesticLion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajesticLion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajesticLion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajesticLion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MajesticLion has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    notbad.jpg

Originally Posted by BbyGainz View Post
    GUYYYYSSSS

I just received my 2018 District Champ AND World Championship placement certificates in the mail.
    I got 1st in my district (the whole southeastern US) in traditional weapons (bo staff)
    I placed 12th in the world in my ring, which is probably one of the most competitive and talented groups of women in my organization.

That's pretty awesome, congratulations.