Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Library

mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I've still been reading! Went through the All Souls trilogy by Deborah Harkness (there's a British TV show based off of it, it was pitched as Harry Potter-esque but was definitely more Twilight knock off) in audio format ..... 2/5 stars.

For written format, just finished "A Cure for Suicide" by Jesse Ball. It was.... weird. Felt like it was trying too hard to be deep but really just lacked plot.
    Instagram: @doctorv17

Registered User Fiction2Fitness's Avatar
    Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by mavd View Post
    I've still been reading! Went through the All Souls trilogy by Deborah Harkness (there's a British TV show based off of it, it was pitched as Harry Potter-esque but was definitely more Twilight knock off) in audio format ..... 2/5 stars.

For written format, just finished "A Cure for Suicide" by Jesse Ball. It was.... weird. Felt like it was trying too hard to be deep but really just lacked plot.
    Both sound unfortunate.

Not reading yet but I downloaded an interesting nonfiction book to start listening to on the way to work called "What Patients Say, What Doctors Hear".
    Gym Max: 229/126/305
    Meet Max: 1st Meet 198/115/248
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281
    Goals: 235/135/315

Just Strong Ambassador
    http://juststrong.com/discount/ambwil10

mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mavd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Fiction2Fitness View Post
    Both sound unfortunate.

Not reading yet but I downloaded an interesting nonfiction book to start listening to on the way to work called "What Patients Say, What Doctors Hear".
    I've gotten so much pickier in my old age. I used to just love books, no matter what. I've tried to move away from the young adult genre thinking it was a maturity issue, but when it's older characters and I still think they're being dumb AF I get more annoyed, I guess I give teenagers more leeway to have character flaws. All Souls wasn't terrible, just not very original.

Currently reading "The Magician" series by Lev Grossman (just finished book 1 and started 2 today). It's like a bunch of alcoholic Slytherins invade Narnia. I kind of hate it but feel compelled to continue the story, like I'm waiting for the characters to redeem themselves.

Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000) Fiction2Fitness is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Currently reading "The Magician" series by Lev Grossman (just finished book 1 and started 2 today). It's like a bunch of alcoholic Slytherins invade Narnia. I kind of hate it but feel compelled to continue the story, like I'm waiting for the characters to redeem themselves.
    I read part of that book but never made it through the whole thing. I've seen part of the tv show as well but sister kept watching it without me and I have to watch in order. I like some elements but yeah, couldn't quite get into the whole story with the characters.

I need to get back to reading.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

I read part of that book but never made it through the whole thing. I've seen part of the tv show as well but sister kept watching it without me and I have to watch in order. I like some elements but yeah, couldn't quite get into the whole story with the characters.

I need to get back to reading.
    I didn't realize it was a TV show.... haven't had cable in a few years. I wonder how they get around the very obvious rip-off of Narnia? Or is that all public domain now?

fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fitfanatic123 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Currently reading "Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine" - highly recommend!

I didn't realize it was a TV show.... haven't had cable in a few years. I wonder how they get around the very obvious rip-off of Narnia? Or is that all public domain now?
    On Book 3 of the series and decided to try out the TV show as it's on Netflix. I like the show better (and that is something I've never said before about a book brought to screen lmao)

On Book 3 of the series and decided to try out the TV show as it's on Netflix. I like the show better (and that is something I've never said before about a book brought to screen lmao)
    Wow you made it quite far. I didn't even know there were 3 books. I think it helps the show that they can bring about some very interesting visual elements to the story. Showing the world in such dynamic way to bring up the drama helps.

As far as having it be similar to Narnia... eh. Not that uncommon in fiction. I mean, many epic fantasy books had that struggle after lord of the rings. Some have more obvious influence compared to others but they still work out okay. Can't be straight up copying but having similarities isn't going to be as big of a deal.

I'm almost done with the Rachel Carson book at long last. Had to recheck it out yet again. It's interesting how she describes the ocean and makes up name for different creatures as she write the sort of creative non-fiction/fictiony tale about the sea.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador

Wow you made it quite far. I didn't even know there were 3 books. I think it helps the show that they can bring about some very interesting visual elements to the story. Showing the world in such dynamic way to bring up the drama helps.

As far as having it be similar to Narnia... eh. Not that uncommon in fiction. I mean, many epic fantasy books had that struggle after lord of the rings. Some have more obvious influence compared to others but they still work out okay. Can't be straight up copying but having similarities isn't going to be as big of a deal.

I'm almost done with the Rachel Carson book at long last. Had to recheck it out yet again. It's interesting how she describes the ocean and makes up name for different creatures as she write the sort of creative non-fiction/fictiony tale about the sea.
    Audiobooks so I get through them quicker...... The TV show seems to use the basic world building and a bit of the character development and major plot points, but it is a very loose interpretation of the books.

Spoilers below
    It isn't a Narnia similarity is a straight up copy to build the world of the books. Four kids discover a magical "world within the walls" of their guardian's country estate during WWI, there's an animal god that roams the land and gives them quests, four thrones and a high king, kids pop in and out of Fillory whenever something needs to get done but little to no time passes on Earth. Eventually someone writes a book about their time there and it becomes essentially, the Narnia books of the real world. "The Magicians" isn't about the four kids, but about another generation of wizards that make their way into Fillory/Narnia after Hogwarts (hah), but the original 4 kids pop up in all the books as well. The problem is how dark and perverse the interpretation is, the oldest of the original four is sexually abused and goes full on evil (the second boy has a dance with evil in Narnia but he recovers). The youngest girl straight up sacrifices other human life to meet her ends. I wouldn't think that CS Lewis would approve of the perversion of his Christian-based world, I guess.

Finally got a new phone so the chord works and I can listen to books in the car again. Started listening to an interesting one called The Darker the Night, the Brighter the Stars: A Neuropsychologist's Odyssey Through Consciousness by Paul Broks. Only listed to about 40 minutes so far but it seems like that will be a good read overall. And whoever they got to read the book has a nice voice and seems so fitting for the tone and character that gets put into the words.
    2nd Meet 220.5/121/281

Just Strong Ambassador