brinylife is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thoughts on plate-loaded machines

I’m about a month and a half into a 3-day a week full body routine (relative newbie, though I’ve been in and out of gyms for years). I’m using “advanced” plate loaded machines for most presses (bench, incline shoulder) that don’t lock into a single range of motion and the plate loaded row apparatus.

I do this mostly because I workout alone and feel it’s safer than swinging up 75 lb dumbells for a chest press (I have a shoulder impingement that barks when trying heavier barbell chest presses).

What are y’alls thoughts on these “machines”? I feel they’re better than nautilus type stuff, but prob not quite as good as barbell / dumbbells. I am using stabilizers somewhat because the advance PL machines don’t lock into a single ROM. Am I really missing out not doing barbell presses?

Ps - I’m not 49 as my profile suggests - I’m 44.

daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daniel327 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're getting the results you're seeking, who cares what others think?

Originally Posted by daniel327 View Post
    If you're getting the results you're seeking, who cares what others think?
    I was just curious if people think there is a marked advantage of free weight vs those advanced plate loaded machines - that’s all.

jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Plate loaded machines like Prime Fitness with adjustable load profiles can be even better than free weights, especially for back movements!

Do the ones you're talking about have different loading pegs to make to weight heavier at different parts of the range?

Even if they're not, work with whatever range you can pain free. If the machines fit you, go for it

bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by brinylife View Post
    I was just curious if people think there is a marked advantage of free weight vs those advanced plate loaded machines - that’s all.
    The biggest advantages are that plate loaded machines also put you into a certain bar path, which can't mimic your exact path. Not to mention no stabilizer work. In fact, the plate loaded machine may be causing your shoulder issue.

Free weights are much more versatile, take up less space and allow for a ton more variation. With just a rack, bar, bench and weights you can do a TON of exercises. Think of the number of machines that would require. There's no issue with safety and if you have impingement issues for benching maybe you'd need a football bar or figure out a different way to work around potential injuries. Many times it's just hand-placement width and how much your elbows are flaring. There are just so many variations you can perform.
    USAPL RAW Competitor
    >500/>300/>600

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #25 ▪[M]====[6]▪
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #100 []---[]

Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000)
    This, and cheaper too.
    Originally Posted by bobcat255 View Post
    The biggest advantages are that plate loaded machines also put you into a certain bar path, which can't mimic your exact path. Not to mention no stabilizer work. In fact, the plate loaded machine may be causing your shoulder issue.

Free weights are much more versatile, take up less space and allow for a ton more variation. With just a rack, bar, bench and weights you can do a TON of exercises. Think of the number of machines that would require. There's no issue with safety and if you have impingement issues for benching maybe you'd need a football bar or figure out a different way to work around potential injuries. Many times it's just hand-placement width and how much your elbows are flaring. There are just so many variations you can perform.

Originally Posted by bobcat255 View Post
    The shoulder issue is due to a mountain bike accident that resulted in an AC separation (so not related to what equipment I use). I tried different grips etc on a barbell and couldn't find one that worked once I load up the bar - at least not yet. I've been progressing quite well on the plate loaded machines and I'll likely stick with them for a while and maybe try some free weight work once I feel like I have a good base of strength built up.

As mentioned in my initial post, the plate loaded machines I use for flat bench, shoulder press and row do NOT lock into a single bar path and do require some stabilizer work - they can converge at the top of the movement or stay wide, so there's some "horizontal" stabilization required - though I'm sure not as much as free weights would. I would certainly have trouble getting a set of 75lb dumbells in the proper position for incline presses and, due to a herniated spinal disc, I'd like to keep the carrying and awkward swinging around of heavy weights to a minimum. I feel loading up a plate loaded machine allows me to push heavier weight, but do recognize the limitations.

Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by brinylife View Post
    The shoulder issue is due to a mountain bike accident that resulted in an AC separation (so not related to what equipment I use). I tried different grips etc on a barbell and couldn't find one that worked once I load up the bar - at least not yet. I've been progressing quite well on the plate loaded machines and I'll likely stick with them for a while and maybe try some free weight work once I feel like I have a good base of strength built up.

As mentioned in my initial post, the plate loaded machines I use for flat bench, shoulder press and row do NOT lock into a single bar path and do require some stabilizer work - they can converge at the top of the movement or stay wide, so there's some "horizontal" stabilization required - though I'm sure not as much as free weights would. I would certainly have trouble getting a set of 75lb dumbells in the proper position for incline presses and, due to a herniated spinal disc, I'd like to keep the carrying and awkward swinging around of heavy weights to a minimum. I feel loading up a plate loaded machine allows me to push heavier weight, but do recognize the limitations.
    Sounds to me like you have a pretty good handle on what's going on with your body, and you understand the ramifications of types of equipment. Your question about the types of machines vs free weights coupled with the disclosure of your training history and understanding of the kinesiology involved reveals that you really do understand the pertinent variables in your context.

My opinion is that yes, the advantages of dumbbells regarding integrated strength, coordination, and musculature development are worth including them. If you don't induce those stresses you will not enjoy those precise adaptations. Can you live without them? Nearly everyone out there does. If you cannot risk doing the fully free movements due to pain and ticking time bombs like bad discs, then that's the tough decision you have to make. I have to avoid certain exercises that I would really like to do, so I empathize.

There are myriad options, so there is no end of opportunity for you to explore. You can grab a set of dumbbells, for instance, and do overhead presses in a near infinite range of variety. One might work.

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    One thing that may work for you is to use low or moderate weight dumbbells, whatever is low enough weight to not trigger your AC issues, like 30 to 50 lbs, and do a lot of reps, in addition to doing the plate loaded machines. You could do them right after or superset them with the plate machine.
    Last edited by ampire; 01-07-2019 at 10:35 AM.

Originally Posted by ampire View Post
    One thing that may work for you is to use low or moderate weight dumbbells, whatever is low enough weight to not trigger your AC issues, like 30 to 50 lbs, and do a lot of reps, in addition to doing the plate loaded machines. You could do them right after or superset them with the plate machine.
    Hmmm - that's a good thought. I've been incorporating a drop set at the end of the last set of presses lately - maybe I'll try the drop set with dumbbells.