Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000)

Paulie's unintended keto journey

OK. So, here goes. I'll try to make a long story short. Basically, my wife and youngest daughter have struggled with weight issues, and both of them are at a point where they really want to do something about it. I've been a certified personal trainer for a couple decades, and ran a wellness program for a few years. I'm also obsessed with lifting heavy things. I've set up nutritional and exercise programs for my wife and daughter in the past. They would start out great, and eventually fizzle like so many people do, and would get annoyed with me if I offered support/encouragement like I would for a client. My wife (the shrink) brought up a good point. She does much better achieving goals if she has someone or something to be accountable to, but found it too annoying for it to be her husband. It created an uncomfortable power shift for her. She had done some research, and found a Keto diet program offered at a local hospital that is run by a doctor and registered dietician that she knows. The program includes a weekly weigh in and mandatory support group. The program seems legit, and eventually phases moderate carbs back in, once reasonable fat loss goals have been achieved. Well, since I put on about 8 pounds over the holidays, and was considering a cut very soon, I've decided to follow a keto diet of my own in support of my wife and daughter. My wife and daughter's first day on keto is 1/10. I thought I'd get an early start as of this coming Monday. Any tips/tricks and words of encouragement are greatly appreciated. Here are my initial stats:

Height: 5'7"
    Weight:185

I'd like to track my compound lifts throughout this journey. Current numbers:

Bench Press: 230x6
    Belt Squat: 305x12
    Deadlift 340x6
    OHP 120x6

Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000) Paulie_G is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's been a busy week. Started my keto journey on Monday, 1/7. So, I'm on day 5, and easing into ketosis. Sticks are showing trace-low number of ketones. "Keto flu" symptoms have been minimal, and probably mixed in with a ridiculous sinus infection that I'm just now recovering from. I have noticed minimal symptoms, primarily in the morning. I'm a morning person in general, and usually jump right out of bed at 5:40am. The last 2 days, it's been a struggle to get up, hitting the snooze bar twice, and I'm needing 2 cups of coffee with heavy cream and MCT oil to start feeling normal. I've also had some very brief dizziness and nausea, particularly when thinking of food or preparing food. I'm not seeing any strength dips...yet. I'm averaging 31 net carbs since Monday. I've kept myprotein ratio slightly higher than recommended (30%), to help limit muscle loss. I'll probably start posting some daily food logs for some suggestions and feedback.
    Last edited by Paulie_G; 01-11-2019 at 07:40 AM.

So, I've completed week 1. I've lost 3.5 pounds so far. Most of which is probably water weight. It wasn't until Friday evening that Ketone strips were showing any ketones, but I'm now solidly in the low to moderate range of ketones. I've been pretty consistently keeping my net carbs in the 30g range. However, my total carbs do reach 50-60g range. I've felt pretty good for the most part. I've had minimal signs of the keto flu. A few mild headaches, and some loss of endurance through my weight training workouts, despite eating some smarties and taking in electrolytes/potassium prior to my workout. No real dip of top end strength. Just more fatigued following sets.

Mirror/clothing check. I look a little leaner, less bloated and puffy. Fit in 31x30 jeans yesterday morning. I think starting next week I'll start posting pictures every other week.

Current weight: 181 (3 pounds lost)

Compounds tracked:

Bench Press: 232.5 x 6
    Belt Squat: 310 x 6
    Deadlift 345 x 6
    OHP 115 x 6 (sore bicep tendon)

A quick description of my current workout program. I do a upper/lower split, with a light and heavy day for both, every 8 days. My focus is on best bang for the buck compound exercises, with some accessory work. Heavy days are approx. 85% 1RM, 3 sets of 6. Light days are approx. 65% 1RM, 2 sets of 10. I do belt squats and trap bar deadlifts to limit loading the lumbar spine, due to several bulging discs. Basically this is my current program:

Day 1- Heavy Upper

Neutral grip BP (multi grip bar)
    Weighted Dips
    Seated Dumbbell Press
    Lat Pulldown
    Seated Cable Row
    EZ bar drag curls

Day 2- Heavy Lower and abs

Belt Squat
    Trap Bar Deadlift
    Hanging Knee Raises
    Crunches

Day 3- Day off

Day 4- Day off

Day 5- Light Upper

Incline Dumbbell Press
    Arnold Press
    One Arm Dumbbell Row
    Chin ups
    Decline Push ups
    Cable Pushdowns
    Alternating db curls

Day 6- Light Lower

Same exercises as heavy day, just at 65%

Day 7-Off

Day 8- Off

Press repeat.
    Last edited by Paulie_G; 01-14-2019 at 06:55 AM.

GandyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GandyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GandyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GandyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GandyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GandyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GandyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GandyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GandyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GandyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GandyJay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Keep it up man, had any problems with the Ketoflu?

Originally Posted by GandyJay View Post
    Keep it up man, had any problems with the Ketoflu?
    Minimal. Just some minor brain fog and fatigue for short periods of time. A few headaches. Less cravings than I anticipated. Honestly, the only thing I miss badly is the fried red potatoes that I typically use to make with eggs and ham for breakfast.
    Last edited by Paulie_G; 01-15-2019 at 11:35 AM.

So far, so good. Averaging 29g net carbs since I started. Ketones still hover between low and moderate. As of this morning, I'm 180.0. Four pounds lost in 9 days. I had a few days of some minor keto flu symptoms, but not too bad. I was also getting over a cold/sinus infection, so it's possible any unwell feeling was due to that. I'm going to start to introduce some fasted morning HIIT training 1-2x per week, in addition to my weight training, now that my energy seems to be coming back. I'll post a before and after 2 weeks pics when the time comes. I've definitely already noticed some minor body composition changes. Probably mostly water shedding, but still...it's motivating.