thafiona13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking Beginner program for 15 yr old girl

Hi there, I recently started lifting weights and working out. My goals are mainly for aesthetic reasons but I also love to increase my overall strength to impress. Down below is my current workout plan, I want to add core and cardio but I'm a little confused on that area and would love some help. I currently have 2 workout A & B, which I alternate 3 days a week. I've read that when absolute begineers start, we should do more reps and less sets, to really get the muscle memory going, which is why most of my workouts have long reps.

Workout A
    Barbell Squat
    3 sets 8-10 reps 2 min rest
    Barbell Bench Press
    Bent over Barbell Row

Alternating DB Curl
    2 sets 10-12 reps 1 min rest

Calf Raise using leg press machine
    V-Bar triceps pushdown

Barbell Hip Thrust
    2 sets 10- 12 reps 1 min rest

Workout B
    Barbell Deadlift

Machine Lat Pulldown
    3 sets 8 -10 reps 2 min rest

DB Shoulder Press

Alternating DB Curl

Calf raise using leg press machine

DB overhead extensions

Barbell Hip Thrust

Please feel free to put out any criticism, my goal is to one day become a fitness model, or on a smaller scale to help my fellow juniors in HS on how to properly lift!

bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'm not sure where you read that, but it's definitely not true--or at least, isn't the only strategy that works.

Instead of putting together your own program, check out the Beginner Programs in the Stickies, they'll be hugely helpful. SL 5x5 and the Fierce 5 are probably the most common, most effective places to start. Once you've got a good foundation, you'll be more well-prepared to start putting together your own routines. Don't try to muddle your way through in the beginning. Find something that really works
    BP: 280
    SQ: 455
    DL: 585
    Bodyweight 185

Chiz214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chiz214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chiz214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chiz214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chiz214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chiz214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chiz214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chiz214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chiz214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chiz214 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chiz214 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think you would be best off checking out the Stickies like bLinkMoore said there are some good beginner routines there. But if you want to throw together your own routine just make sure you hit all of your muscles (dont forget shoulders and chest) and that you hit all parts of your muscles (i.e Front delt, rear delt, etc). Also form is really important in the beginning so make sure you get that down.
    9 months lifting

thafiona13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Chiz214 View Post
    I think you would be best off checking out the Stickies like bLinkMoore said there are some good beginner routines there. But if you want to throw together your own routine just make sure you hit all of your muscles (dont forget shoulders and chest) and that you hit all parts of your muscles (i.e Front delt, rear delt, etc). Also form is really important in the beginning so make sure you get that down.
    ok thank you for the advice, I am planning on following Starting Strength, is that good?

QuantaviusVII has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by thafiona13 View Post
    ok thank you for the advice, I am planning on following Starting Strength, is that good?
    I think Starting Strength is a fantastic choice for a beginner. It was nice, simple and got me strong fast. One caveat from my experience, is that you should know when to stop the program. There are so many other dudes chugging gallons of milk of day just to squeeze out that last little piece of progression.
    It will build a base of strength, but it's more of unlocking the strength your body is already capable of than raising the floor of your baseline strength, if you catch my drift. I would recommend switching to something like 5/3/1 after Starting Strength, as it will let you accumulate baseline strength that you can unlock later through an intensification phase.