Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Should I bulk or cut? (Pictures / 20% body fat)?

Hey. I've been lifting for almost 2 years now and I'm struggling to decide whether to bulk or cut and need help making the decision.

PICTURES: imgur.com/a/550rVGI

19 Years old, 70KG.
    5ft 8.5/9
    Bench: 110kg
    Deadlift: 195KG
    Squat: 130kg (I neglected legs for a long time. I regret doing so but I'm building this back up and squats are my main focus).
    34 inch waist

I have very mixed feelings with this as sometimes I have the thoughts of wanting to cut due to excess fat on (basically only my stomach) and a 34 inch waist which makes me think cutting is better than bulking. I then attempt to google about it and find things that say if you're above 15% body fat, you should cut down to it. I'd assume I'm around 20% ish so this 'rule' also makes me doubt.

On the other hand, when I'm not thinking irrational negativity about cutting, it's about bulking. I feel I don't have enough mass and I could definitely do with bulking and that I don't have the mass for a cut anyway. I know the likely thing will be to just make the decision on what my end goals are and stick at one, which is what I'll do. Regardless of the conclusion, that is the option I'll take.

I apologise that this post comes across as me just bitching and I should make up my mind but I'd like some advice from people who are more experienced so I don't waste unnecessary time. Every opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what would you predict my current bodyfat based off these pictures?

WizzyL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WizzyL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WizzyL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WizzyL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WizzyL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WizzyL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WizzyL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WizzyL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WizzyL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WizzyL has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WizzyL has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Geofra View Post
    Hey. I've been lifting for almost 2 years now and I'm struggling to decide whether to bulk or cut and need help making the decision.

PICTURES: imgur.com/a/550rVGI

19 Years old, 70KG.
    5ft 8.5/9
    Bench: 110kg
    Deadlift: 195KG
    Squat: 130kg (I neglected legs for a long time. I regret doing so but I'm building this back up and squats are my main focus).
    34 inch waist

I have very mixed feelings with this as sometimes I have the thoughts of wanting to cut due to excess fat on (basically only my stomach) and a 34 inch waist which makes me think cutting is better than bulking. I then attempt to google about it and find things that say if you're above 15% body fat, you should cut down to it. I'd assume I'm around 20% ish so this 'rule' also makes me doubt.

On the other hand, when I'm not thinking irrational negativity about cutting, it's about bulking. I feel I don't have enough mass and I could definitely do with bulking and that I don't have the mass for a cut anyway. I know the likely thing will be to just make the decision on what my end goals are and stick at one, which is what I'll do. Regardless of the conclusion, that is the option I'll take.

I apologise that this post comes across as me just bitching and I should make up my mind but I'd like some advice from people who are more experienced so I don't waste unnecessary time. Every opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what would you predict my current bodyfat based off these pictures?
    my guy can't see your legs but honestly don't look more than 14-15% bf imo. I'd cut if you wanna be more aesthetic and bulk if you want more mass. Either option is good. Personally I'd cut a lil first.

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As you already said the choice is yours and you are in the zone where you could go either way. Your not fat so I think you could get away with lean bulking more especially if you are already bulking. Your lifts are pretty good but of course more room for increase so I personally say keep going on a lean bulk of about 2lbs a month weight increase.

Your physique is pretty solid so you definitely aren't at a level where excess fat is a problem, its probably best to keep building on your progress and build more lbm. (For what it is worth I say you are lower then 20% bf more like 15-16% as most 20% individuals don't have a clear split on the hip bone and waist).

ᵢ'ᵥₑ gₒₜ cᵤᵣᵥₑₛ... SpeculatorSam's Avatar
    SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    As long as your waist is half your height or less, then your fine in terms of health. 68.75/2 = 34.375. In other words, if you're main goal is getting stronger, I'd say keep lean bulking for a while until you hit a 34.5in waist then do a mini cut for a month and get back to the bulk. You're experienced enough where you're not gonna be able to recomp well and/or keep improving your lifts much while doing a cut. Also, 154 at 5'8.75"? That's not overweight/overfat by any-means. If you're going for the Kinobody aesthetic though, then doing a slow cut for 1-2 months might be a good idea as long as the risk of losing a little strength won't bother you too much.

I'd say your 14-16% as well. You do you Geofra, and I'm super jelly face you pushing those numbers at that weight. I'm 176 @ 20ish% myself and I'm 5'7.5" with a 35in. waist and can only bench like 180 for a single lol. I'm damn shmexy and confident anyhow, but still I'd like to keep improving my body comp and my strength:weight ratio. Good for you on staying hungry for improvement; it's really up to you to weigh out the pros and cons.
    Last edited by SpeculatorSam; 12-19-2018 at 12:46 AM. Reason: mispelling
    "I did the best I could knowing what I did. I know better now, therefore I do." - Maya Angelou

"First lesson of life is that life's not fair. Once you've wrapped your mind around that concept, then you can learn to work around life and excel at it." -SpeculatorSam

PRs: 405/265/400x3. Weighted Chin +110lbs, Incline Bench 235lbs. OHP: 172.5lbs. Strict Curl: 107lbs. Good Morning 225 x 5

Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Geofra will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I guess you can just imagine my legs. They aren’t ridiculous and pretty in proportion I guess but due to the neglect for a while I’m more self conscious about them but for the most part they’re very lean with minimal fat.

Appreciate the advice man, good to know both are options!

Sounds like a solid plan. I was originally going to go and bulk for the rest of winter to see where I’m at then consider from there.

Thanks for the response, helps out a lot! I’ve always been bad at judging body fat and would use one of those image scales off google for a ‘rough’ judgement but obviously they’ll be pretty skewed. Appreciate the honesty and I’m pretty sure I’ll push with the bulk

That’s pretty good to know, I always thought my waist was pretty bad but that’s mostly just an insecurity issue I need to get over. I think bulking like you said until I hit the ‘lkmit’ On the waist is a great idea. I prefer bulking anyway and it’ll probably help over come confidence issues just sticking it out to be fair.

My end result is to be pretty aesthetic, don’t know much of kino body but my main goal is purely strength whilst maintaining a decent physique and looking like I hit the gym.

Main reason for even wanting a cut is to Insecuirty as I store most of my fat around my stomach area. It doesn’t really show in the pictures as much but by no means is it terrible and it’s definitley moreso in the head.

Your bench is still pretty solid though my man! How are your other lifts? I can imagine you look pretty buff at that height and weight, I was considering bulking to 80kg(176 I think).

Anyway, i appreciate the response and your honesty with it. Keep on grinding too man and I respect your confidence, something I need to learn lmao. your advice will help out quite a lot. Cheers

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Would you rather be more muscular or leaner?

Do that
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

secanesam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) secanesam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) secanesam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) secanesam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) secanesam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) secanesam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) secanesam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) secanesam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) secanesam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) secanesam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) secanesam is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Your definitely leaner than 20%

It's really up to you. If I we're you though I would bulk until March and then cut so you can be lean for the summer

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SpeculatorSam View Post
    As long as your waist is half your height or less, then your fine in terms of health. 68.75/2 = 34.375. In other words, if you're main goal is getting stronger, I'd say keep lean bulking for a while until you hit a 34.5in waist then do a mini cut for a month and get back to the bulk. You're experienced enough where you're not gonna be able to recomp well and/or keep improving your lifts much while doing a cut. Also, 154 at 5'8.75"? That's not overweight/overfat by any-means. If you're going for the Kinobody aesthetic though, then doing a slow cut for 1-2 months might be a good idea as long as the risk of losing a little strength won't bother you too much.

I'd say your 14-16% as well. You do you Geofra, and I'm super jelly face you pushing those numbers at that weight. I'm 176 @ 20ish% myself and I'm 5'7.5" with a 35in. waist and can only bench like 180 for a single lol. I'm damn shmexy and confident anyhow, but still I'd like to keep improving my body comp and my strength:weight ratio. Good for you on staying hungry for improvement; it's really up to you to weigh out the pros and cons.
    I really don't know how meaningful the waist-to-height ratio is. I'm 6'1 or 73 inches, but an ectomorph with a small frame. When my waist was 36" I had a beer gut and love handles. Now at a 31" waist I look and feel much better, but still too much belly fat for visible abs.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181179323&p=1658333353#post1658333353

Height: 185cm (6'1")
    Weight: 79.3kg (175lb)

Personal best lifts
    Bench - 6 x 65kg (143lb), 8 x 62.5kg (138lb)
    Bent Over Row - 10 x 70kg (154lb)
    Front squat - 5 x 67.5kg (149lb)
    Back squat - 1 x 95kg (209lb), 8 x 77.5kg (171lb)
    RDL - 9 x 87.5kg (193lb)
    Deadlift - 6 x 107.5kg (237lb)
    Overhead Press - 6 x 40kg (88lb)
    Chin Ups - 7 x bodyweight + 12.5kg (27.5lb), 14 x b.weight

ᵢ'ᵥₑ gₒₜ cᵤᵣᵥₑₛ... SpeculatorSam's Avatar
    SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SpeculatorSam is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by RapidFail View Post
    I really don't know how meaningful the waist-to-height ratio is. I'm 6'1 or 73 inches, but an ectomorph with a small frame. When my waist was 36" I had a beer gut and love handles. Now at a 31" waist I look and feel much better, but still too much belly fat for visible abs.
    The height/waist ratio is just a generic doctor's measurement, but for someone who exercises, it'd put them at roughly 17%+/-1% for men. That's not very lean, not gonna have an amazing v-taper with that kinda waist, but your blood pressure wouldn't be very much affected by that amount of fat. Leaner is better for the most part as long as your strength and energy levels are good.

@Geofra It's usually better to build a little more muscle first either way, that way you'll have more muscles to reveal when you do get lean. I also have dominant hip and belly fat, so having a tiny physique competitor waist will most likely never happen for me. I've only gotten back into lifting for 6 months but, but since I don't have a barbell yet I'm stuck with dumbbells and I don't have enough weight to do singles or even run 5x5s yet. I'll list my high priority lifts here though. Here's my physique if you're really that curious, check my bodyspace gallery if desired.

DB Bench 3x9 2sec-up 2sec-down 65lbs pair
    DB Strict Press 3x5 with 52.5lbs pair
    Weighted Pull-Up +50lbs for 3 reps
    DB Rows 3 x 7 2sec-up 2sec-down w 95lbs.
    DB Reverse Lunge 3 x 10 with 60lb pair, I'm gonna max out with 65-67.5lbs today to get a better idea of my leg strength.
    DB Strict Curl (standing against a wall like at a powerlifting meet) 40lbs. pair x 5, working sets for a normal DB curl are 3 x 7 with 30lbs.

As for insecurity... stop comparing yourself against others and only compare yourself to who you were yesterday. If you're better than yesterday, then you've won. Also, realize that outside of this niche community who have here on bodybuilding.com the average person doesn't give a crap about abs or big muscles. If you lift decent weight and eat right, you're automatically gonna look better than 99% of average Americans and girls/dudes will dig that; the average chick finds the big and shredded look absolutely disgusting. I'm not saying stay softer, I'm leaning down myself, but do understand we recreational lifters have much higher body image standards than everyone else.
    Last edited by SpeculatorSam; 12-19-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    "I did the best I could knowing what I did. I know better now, therefore I do." - Maya Angelou

"First lesson of life is that life's not fair. Once you've wrapped your mind around that concept, then you can learn to work around life and excel at it." -SpeculatorSam

PRs: 405/265/400x3. Weighted Chin +110lbs, Incline Bench 235lbs. OHP: 172.5lbs. Strict Curl: 107lbs. Good Morning 225 x 5