Thread: Sets and Reps

MikeZ3124 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Sets and Reps

I'm kind of new to working out, and I was wondering do you rest between Reps? I know you rest betweens Sets but how about Reps?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Some programs prescribe a particular tempo with maybe a pause at the top or bottom but not usually more than a couple of seconds.

And I doubt it amounts to a hill of beans. Ultimately what matters the most is total work done (volume), the weight you use (tension) and how close you get to failure (exertion).

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'll sometimes rest between reps if I'm struggling to make a set or finding it too heavy (better to do that than fail to make the reps)
    But to do a certain number of reps in a joined up/continuous fashion is harder than resting which is a bit like a bunch of singles, so I won't claim to "own" the weight/reps if I have to rest to get it done.

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I allow up to 2 breaths so you can breath and rebrace. Its better than watching the lifter look like a pogo stick while holding their breath for 15 seconds, and calling that a good set.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Some programs prescribe a particular tempo with maybe a pause at the top or bottom but not usually more than a couple of seconds.

And I doubt it amounts to a hill of beans. Ultimately what matters the most is total work done (volume), the weight you use (tension) and how close you get to failure (exertion).
    Should I be going to failure in every set?
    I usually get to failure near the 2-3 sets and I was thinking of adding a 4th sets but lowering the weight to certain workout like Bench or Curl

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    I'll sometimes rest between reps if I'm struggling to make a set or finding it too heavy (better to do that than fail to make the reps)
    But to do a certain number of reps in a joined up/continuous fashion is harder than resting which is a bit like a bunch of singles, so I won't claim to "own" the weight/reps if I have to rest to get it done.
    Ok thanks

Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    I allow up to 2 breaths so you can breath and rebrace. Its better than watching the lifter look like a pogo stick while holding their breath for 15 seconds, and calling that a good set.
    So basically like 5 sec break

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by MikeZ3124 View Post
    Should I be going to failure in every set?
    I usually get to failure near the 2-3 sets and I was thinking of adding a 4th sets but lowering the weight to certain workout like Bench or Curl
    Not necessarily. That can compromise total volume achieved and can be dangerous at higher weights and in certain exercises. If this sounds like I'm avoiding giving you a simple answer - I am - because in programming, there aren't any otherwise there would be no question about what's the best routine to do. Sadly life is not that simple.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Not necessarily. That can compromise total volume achieved and can be dangerous at higher weights and in certain exercises. If this sounds like I'm avoiding giving you a simple answer - I am - because in programming, there aren't any otherwise there would be no question about what's the best routine to do. Sadly life is not that simple.
    Its oh ok, thank you

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MikeZ3124 View Post
    I'm kind of new to working out, and I was wondering do you rest between Reps? I know you rest betweens Sets but how about Reps?
    Check it out: https://www.t-nation.com/training/be...o-lift-weights