chrissyyb is on a distinguished road. (+10)

HIIT and Weights Same Day?

Hi all,

I’m new to the forums. A little background...

I used to be extremely fit. I would lift heavy about 4 times per week. I had a baby in January this year and didn’t return back to the gym until recently.

I’m still pretty strong, but have a little more fat than I’d like. I’m 10 lbs heavier than I want to be...but I don’t really care about the extra weight. I care about strength, endurance, and body composition.

I’m trying to jump start things. I work 11 hour days...so I try and fit in sprints on my lunch break (I do body weight exercises between sprints) and lifting for 45 minutes after my baby goes to sleep (8PM).

I’m really hungry and tired lol. Is it advisable to do HIIT and weights on the same day 4-5 times per week?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by chrissyyb View Post
    Hi all,

I’m new to the forums. A little background...

I used to be extremely fit. I would lift heavy about 4 times per week. I had a baby in January this year and didn’t return back to the gym until recently.

I’m still pretty strong, but have a little more fat than I’d like. I’m 10 lbs heavier than I want to be...but I don’t really care about the extra weight. I care about strength, endurance, and body composition.

I’m trying to jump start things. I work 11 hour days...so I try and fit in sprints on my lunch break (I do body weight exercises between sprints) and lifting for 45 minutes after my baby goes to sleep (8PM).

I’m really hungry and tired lol. Is it advisable to do HIIT and weights on the same day 4-5 times per week?

A couple of things:

I'm not following you; you state you "don’t really care about the extra weight," yet you care about "body composition." Actually, the two go hand-in-hand.

You need to further refine your goal before you can plot a path to get there.

All that said, if you're already hungry and tired, weight training 4-5 days a week---not to even mention adding HIIT cardio to those days---is going to grind you into dust. If you want to lose a few pounds of fat, just eat a little less and limit your exercise to maybe 3 days a week, tops.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733