Thread: Cut or bulk?

deadendstreet is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cut or bulk?

Hello all, I’m 37 years old, 6’3, 208 pounds. I’m in a situation where I don’t know if I should cut or bulk. I’m currently 18% body fat and would like to cut that down to at least 12%, maybe even lower. At the same time, I want to build my chest (currently have some chest fat), arms (skinny arms) and legs (chicken legs). I don’t want to be body builder huge, but I do want to be bigger than I am (see picture what I look like).

I’ve been working out for 6 months and have seen some gains, but wasn’t sure where to go from here. Thanks!

Edit: it won’t let me include a pic because of my post count, so I’m going to set the image as my profile pic.

Also, my typical diet:

Breakfast:
    2 Eggs
    4 Egg White with green peppers
    Bowl of Original Oatmeal
    Banana
    Protein Shake (unless it's a workout day, then protein shake comes after workout)

Snack:
    1 serving of peanuts
    1 cup of cottage cheese
    1 cup of bone broth

lunch:
    turkey sandwich w/ lettuce and tomato
    1 cup Plain Greek yogurt with almonds and cinnamon
    Apple
    1 cup of black beans

Snack #2
    carrots with hummus
    1 cup of blueberries
    (once a week, cup of chocolate milk)

Dinner:
    Chicken breast
    spinach
    black beans

snack #3
    Can of tuna

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Judging from your AVI and your stated goals, you're probably better off with a slow bulk.

Whatever body fat % you think you are, and whatever % you think you want to be, won't be accurate measurements. Get onto a good, systematic, well established novice program, and concentrate on building strength. Size and leanness will both follow.

Then, when you have the confidence and the foundation you need built up, you can decide whether it's time to cut for a while.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by deadendstreet View Post
    Hello all, I’m 37 years old, 6’3, 208 pounds. I’m in a situation where I don’t know if I should cut or bulk. I’m currently 18% body fat and would like to cut that down to at least 12%, maybe even lower. At the same time, I want to build my chest (currently have some chest fat), arms (skinny arms) and legs (chicken legs). I don’t want to be body builder huge, but I do want to be bigger than I am (see picture what I look like).

I’ve been working out for 6 months and have seen some gains, but wasn’t sure where to go from here. Thanks!

Edit: it won’t let me include a pic because of my post count, so I’m going to set the image as my profile pic.
    I'm a fellow tall lifter, and I was older and in much worse shape than you when I got started, but I would actually consider a cut if I were you; about 20 lbs should probably do it. Then I would consider at least a year long lean bulk from that state.

My reasoning for this is that if you're 18% you're probably very likely to get up over 20% on a bulk, its just unavoidable. I consider 20% the top end for looking fairly "fit" and "healthy" (at least by appearance). I would much rather be down at 15% or less before bulking and then top out at 17-18%.
    Last edited by xsquid99; 12-13-2018 at 03:24 AM.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're in a difficult predicament, if you cut/diet you probably don't have much muscle to show so you'd end up skinny and pissed off. on the flip side of that if you bulk you will probably just end up looking/feeling fat unless you take it really slowly.

I'm a bit taller and older than you, I'm currently 212Lbs and around 13-14% but I've been training for 6ish years.

My advice is to cut some fat so you feel good in your own skin, then slowly increase the calories to start building, taking it steady and being consistent.
    Instagram - @dazlittle123

So I think I'm going to cut and then do a slow pace bulk that was recommended. Should I even be taking creatine? Is there another supplement I should be taking since I'm cutting. Also, currently I don't do a lot of cardio. Should I add some interval training?

Ugh, I'm going to be single forever. lol

Thanks for the tips.

dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by deadendstreet View Post
    So I think I'm going to cut and then do a slow pace bulk that was recommended. Should I even be taking creatine? Is there another supplement I should be taking since I'm cutting. Also, currently I don't do a lot of cardio. Should I add some interval training?

Ugh, I'm going to be single forever. lol

Thanks for the tips.
    Creatine doesn't do anything for me, but for others its a staple sup, Give it a go and see if you are a responder.

Cardio is a good idea for Heart and respiratory health, no need to do it to control weight loss, I'm getting into swimming at the moment as its bloody hard cardio and is very low impact so I use it as active recovery.

All the best.
    Instagram - @dazlittle123

pouellette is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think you should lose some body fat then do a slow bulk. I'm 6'2" tall so I'm a tall lifter as well. You seem to have a good diet so maybe a little cardio to speed it up. I would interval train. Good luck!

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by dazlittle View Post
    You're in a difficult predicament, if you cut/diet you probably don't have much muscle to show so you'd end up skinny and pissed off. on the flip side of that if you bulk you will probably just end up looking/feeling fat unless you take it really slowly.

I'm a bit taller and older than you, I'm currently 212Lbs and around 13-14% but I've been training for 6ish years.

My advice is to cut some fat so you feel good in your own skin, then slowly increase the calories to start building, taking it steady and being consistent.
    LOL, if he can't go either way without looking worse, that means he's already optimal!

I think OP is in a good position right now. He doesn't really have to worry too much about the diet. Just lift hard and see where it takes him.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Creatine doesn't do anything for me, but for others its a staple sup, Give it a go and see if you are a responder.
    FWIW... I heard that about 3 people in 4 show some response to creatine (although how much response will vary). But 1 person in 4 won't get any noticeable response beyond weight gain a pounds or two, which is fluid retention and goes away again rapidly after you stop taking it. I'm also in the non responders group, but like Dazlittle says.. try it and see.
    Not sure how you measure %bodyfat but be sceptical of the accuracy of machines in gyms and their unsubstantiated accuracy claims. Just Google "what does 15 body fat look like" and look at images. There should be some pics of various % and pic the nearest picture, surprisingly this is as good or better accuracy than impedance based measuring! Which leads on to judging progress by if you like what you see in the mirror and weight when you lift the bar. Not looking at %bf measurements and possibly even not weight on scales either (until you're more established anyway).

Enjoy

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

This is GREAT advice if the Op's goal is to look like Daz who is in fantastic shape and has made AWESOME progress over the years.

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post

I think OP is in a good position right now. He doesn't really have to worry too much about the diet. Just lift hard and see where it takes him.
    This is great advice if you want to be in 'decent' shape for your age like Elrond and not really worrid about making any substantial progress but rather just feeling good as a goal.

It is up to you OP to pick depending on your goals. I give advice assuming that people want the most progress they can get for a given effort. For that reason I 100% agree with Daz and almost always recommend people start with cutting. Several reasons. In a newbie state, you will actually still make decent muscular and strength progerss in a mild deficit. (this is something that you will only enjoy for the short time you are a newb). You will learn to control nutrition which is something which will serve to benifit you for YEARS to come in both surplus and deficit along with maintance phases. You will see almost instant results as you strip some fat off and that will equal motivation. Last, you will be primed to grow both from CNS and muscular improvements you made initally cutting along with the favorable nutritent partitioning aspect which dropping bodyfat can give you. Add in the INCREDIBELE feeling you will get when you bring cals back in coming off a deficit, and you will see the best progress of your life.

Or......you just "just lift hard and see where it takes you"

Pick your advice.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post
    This is GREAT advice if the Op's goal is to look like Daz who is in fantastic shape and has made AWESOME progress over the years.

This is great advice if you want to be in 'decent' shape for your age like Elrond and not really worrid about making any substantial progress but rather just feeling good as a goal.

It is up to you OP to pick depending on your goals. I give advice assuming that people want the most progress they can get for a given effort. For that reason I 100% agree with Daz and almost always recommend people start with cutting. Several reasons. In a newbie state, you will actually still make decent muscular and strength progerss in a mild deficit. (this is something that you will only enjoy for the short time you are a newb). You will learn to control nutrition which is something which will serve to benifit you for YEARS to come in both surplus and deficit along with maintance phases. You will see almost instant results as you strip some fat off and that will equal motivation. Last, you will be primed to grow both from CNS and muscular improvements you made initally cutting along with the favorable nutritent partitioning aspect which dropping bodyfat can give you. Add in the INCREDIBELE feeling you will get when you bring cals back in coming off a deficit, and you will see the best progress of your life.

Or......you just "just lift hard and see where it takes you"

Pick your advice.
    Thanks everyone. I've already changed my diet and started cutting this week. Yeah, I definitely don't want to "wing it" or anything, as I'd be wasting my time. While I've changed my diet and cut out a lot of crap, I've been winging it for awhile and having got the results I've desired. That said, with my shirt on, people have noticed that I've been working out. if they only knew,,,lol...so that at least keeps me motivated to keep pushing myself.

One more question about a workout plan. Should I change my workout for cutting program? I'm read different things on the interwebs. Some say to find a specific cutting plan and change diet, others say choose any plan and rest less between sets and change your diet. Others say just keep working out and only change your diet. So I guess my question is, which do you do when cutting?

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think you should continue to train the same and keep working to add progressive resistance (more weight on the bar) as you diet.
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008