Stevo756 is not very well liked. (-100) Stevo756 is not very well liked. (-100) Stevo756 is not very well liked. (-100) Stevo756 is not very well liked. (-100) Stevo756 is not very well liked. (-100) Stevo756 is not very well liked. (-100) Stevo756 is not very well liked. (-100) Stevo756 is not very well liked. (-100) Stevo756 is not very well liked. (-100) Stevo756 is not very well liked. (-100) Stevo756 is not very well liked. (-100)

Deadlifts and squats building a blocky physique?

I've heard that deadlifts and squats will build a stocky, rectangular physique rather than the v shaped physique that I'm after, right now I'm training legs twice a week and those 2 workouts are fully comprised of different squat and deadlift variations. Should I quit doing these? What other leg excersises can I do that work the quads, glutes and hams without giving me this "blocky" physique, and btw I only have access to barbell and dumbell so no machinery.

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It's nonsense, there is all kinds of nonsense on the internet. And people tend to gravitate to the nonsense that suits their own biases best - i.e. squats and deadlifts are hard so any excuse not to do them will be gladly accepted.

Replies in 1/2 hr - 3 day GeneralSerpant's Avatar
    GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Damn nonsense I say.
    It's like people only do things 'cause they get paid -- and that's just really sad - Garth Algar

I'll Mod 'til I'm dead. ironwill2008's Avatar
    ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Stevo756 View Post
    I've heard that deadlifts and squats will build a stocky, rectangular physique rather than the v shaped physique that I'm after, right now I'm training legs twice a week and those 2 workouts are fully comprised of different squat and deadlift variations. Should I quit doing these? What other leg excersises can I do that work the quads, glutes and hams without giving me this "blocky" physique, and btw I only have access to barbell and dumbell so no machinery.
    If you happen to be genetically predisposed to building a "stocky, rectangular physique," then that's what you'll get, regardless of which exercises you use or avoid.

Personally, I've never known even one guy who looked bad because he Squatted and Deadlifted heavy. The few guys in the gym who looked like you describe looked that way before they ever picked up a barbell.
    No brain, no gain.

You can't out-train bad nutrition.

Nothing good comes from negativity; where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym---updated pics:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Workout Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

BS57 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BS57 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BS57 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BS57 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BS57 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BS57 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BS57 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BS57 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BS57 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BS57 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BS57 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Squats made Spongebob Squarepants famous.
    "We seem to have reached the age where life stops giving us things and starts taking them away."
    Dean Stanforth- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

☦Русский ישראלי✡️ LubitelPelmen's Avatar
    LubitelPelmen is just really nice. (+1000) LubitelPelmen is just really nice. (+1000) LubitelPelmen is just really nice. (+1000) LubitelPelmen is just really nice. (+1000) LubitelPelmen is just really nice. (+1000) LubitelPelmen is just really nice. (+1000) LubitelPelmen is just really nice. (+1000) LubitelPelmen is just really nice. (+1000) LubitelPelmen is just really nice. (+1000) LubitelPelmen is just really nice. (+1000) LubitelPelmen is just really nice. (+1000)
    if u have awful genetics than maybe.
    if not... go figure
    [Flora&FaunaLoverPhag crew]
    [teddies are superior to buns crew]

sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    the waist area I am presuming you are talking about doesn't hypertrophy much at all so saying squats and deadlifts are the cause of this is pretty much cope. 99% of the reason why your waist gets bigger is just simply due to fat gain around that area.

There is also genetics at play here, some people have a wider hip-bone structure than others so they will not have that "perfectly aesthetic" V-taper ratio. People also ignore and tend to overlook the lats and upper back in creating a v-taper. Doing your lateral raises as well as other shoulder exercises can help contribute to that look, but all this takes a lot of time to develop.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Vince Gironda RIP would agree with you.
    He never let anyone do regular squats and deadlifts were definitely out.
    Regular squats and deadlifts do involve the "core"all the muscles of the trunk to help stabilize you on those two lifts.
    The heavier you go the more activation of the core.
    The kind of squat or deadlift would some bearing on the core getting built.
    Yes as mentioned some will have a tendency to grow in that area regardless.
    If you squat say on a smith machine with feet a little forward and a closer stance the quads will take much of the work.
    Other movements like hack squats or even the front squat to a degree are more quad intensive.
    You can't totally take the core out of these movements ut you can lessen the work they have to do.

With the deadlift you can do Frank Zane style and pull from the pins at knee level with a wider than shoulder grip to work the mid and upper back more.
    These are the DL's he did and he had a great classic physique.
    The bottom line is the results in doing the regular squat and DL may be different for different people and depending on what your goal is would determine your style or the type you do.