Brinko54 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Girlfriends weight isn't decreasing, despite 1200 calorie diet.

Hey Brahs,

Serious note right now, my girlfriend has been getting upset recently because she's been trying her hardest to lose weight for a holiday although shes not having much luck. She uses myfinesspal and is currently tracking 1200 calorie a day, give or take a few. She goes to the gym 3 times a week for 45 minutes to 1 Hour.

Stats: 5ft 9Inches @ 196lbs.

I'm trying my best to help but theres only so much I can say or do, I have no idea why nothing I suggest is working. I managed to lose 70lbs a few years ago so I feel like I know a fair share on weight loss, but this just has me so confused.

Is there any factors that could be the reasoning behind her not losing weight? For example not actually eating 1200 kcal, not trying hard enough at the gym etc?

Thanks brahs

GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    What time and how often does she weigh herself? How long has she been trying to lose weight?

Originally Posted by GA1N5 View Post
    What time and how often does she weigh herself? How long has she been trying to lose weight?
    Trying to lose weight for a few months and i'm sure she weighs herself a few times a week.

hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Has she lost any weight since she started? Generally it is expected that someone will lose about 1-2lbs a week and in the first few weeks they would lose excess glycogen and water weight on top.

Being the height and weight stated I would assume that if she was truly eating 1200 calories then she would lose weight as her maintenance should be around the 2000 calorie bracket. I would start by 100% ensure she is counting calories correctly does she weigh her food? How often do you two eat out? and how often does she guess the calories of something e.g. someone else cooked the food.

If her weekly calories are not in a deficit then she will not lose weight so ensuring throughout the week all calories are monitored is key.

Sometimes with women water fluctuations are very predominate and could mask weight loss, however I do advise her checking her calorie amount again to be certain.

Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    Has she lost any weight since she started? Generally it is expected that someone will lose about 1-2lbs a week and in the first few weeks they would lose excess glycogen and water weight on top.

Being the height and weight stated I would assume that if she was truly eating 1200 calories then she would lose weight as her maintenance should be around the 2000 calorie bracket. I would start by 100% ensure she is counting calories correctly does she weigh her food? How often do you two eat out? and how often does she guess the calories of something e.g. someone else cooked the food.

If her weekly calories are not in a deficit then she will not lose weight so ensuring throughout the week all calories are monitored is key.

Sometimes with women water fluctuations are very predominate and could mask weight loss, however I do advise her checking her calorie amount again to be certain.
    She has lost a little from when she started but it seems to fluctuate on her quite a-lot. I also thought that 1200 would help her drop loads so I guess the whole guesstimation and counting of calories is slightly off.

Admittedly she does seem to eat **** from time to time more than she should, and we tend to eat out once a week at a stretch.

Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not tracking correctly. Either she is secretly eating more and hiding it, or she is making genuine mistakes with tracking.

1200 is way too low to cut on anyway. I cut on 1500 cals and am only 120 lbs. At her weight she would be dropping weight very fast if she was really only eating 1200.

She should be able to cut just fine on 1500 or more even, provided that she starts tracking correctly. She can even try 1700-1800 to start and see how she does on that. But her tracking is off, so that needs to be fixed first.

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Silencespeaks View Post
    Not tracking correctly. Either she is secretly eating more and hiding it, or she is making genuine mistakes with tracking.
    This is the most likely explanation. If it's been a few months, it's about the only option.

Originally Posted by Silencespeaks View Post

1200 is way too low to cut on anyway. I cut on 1500 cals and am only 120 lbs. At her weight she would be dropping weight very fast if she was really only eating 1200.

She should be able to cut just fine on 1500 or more even, provided that she starts tracking correctly. She can even try 1700-1800 to start and see how she does on that. But her tracking is off, so that needs to be fixed first.
    Would 1500 calories suffice considering 3 mid-range sessions at the gym a week?

Harsh Truth Distributor xsquid99's Avatar
    xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Brinko54 View Post
    The problem is that she's not really eating 1200 calories, so telling her to raise it to 1500 isn't going to fix the problem, then she's REALLY not going to be in a deficit (she'll likely then be in a surplus and will start to gain weight).

The body is incapable of holding onto fat if you're in a calorie deficit, this is a fact that is not debatable. Have her drop another 300 cals.
    The best weight loss and muscle building advice you will ever get:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0eWbk-0qdg

The truth about "Recomping"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aErqkCgDuE

Originally Posted by xsquid99 View Post
    The problem is that she's not really eating 1200 calories, so telling her to raise it to 1500 isn't going to fix the problem, then she's REALLY not going to be in a deficit (she'll likely then be in a surplus and will start to gain weight).

The body is incapable of holding onto fat if you're in a calorie deficit, this is a fact that is not debatable. Have her drop another 300 cals.
    Drop another 300 under the logic that shell still be eating more than 1000 (as she's not sticking to the calories as is) but eating less than before? Sounds like a convincing plan to be honest!

Harsh Truth Distributor xsquid99's Avatar
    xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Drop another 300 under the logic that shell still be eating more than 1000 (as she's not sticking to the calories as is) but eating less than before? Sounds like a convincing plan to be honest!
    Dieting is work, and she needs to get used to being hungry and uncomfortable. If she's not currently in that state, its probably because she's not really eating in a deficit.

Every single thing needs to be weighed out to the gram using a food scale, this includes every drop of salad dressing, cooking oil, sauce, condiment, etc. Every. Single. Thing.
    The best weight loss and muscle building advice you will ever get:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0eWbk-0qdg

The truth about "Recomping"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aErqkCgDuE

Dieting is work, and she needs to get used to being hungry and uncomfortable. If she's not currently in that state, its probably because she's not really eating in a deficit.

Every single thing needs to be weighed out to the gram using a food scale, this includes every drop of salad dressing, cooking oil, sauce, condiment, etc. Every. Single. Thing.
    I hear you completely, i'll try my best to relay this information over. Thanks for the help!

johnniej614 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnniej614 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnniej614 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnniej614 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnniej614 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnniej614 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnniej614 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnniej614 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnniej614 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnniej614 is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnniej614 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Get a food scale. Make sure she’s measuring everything correctly and not guessing

Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Silencespeaks has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah I think so. I only lift four days a week and no cardio (actually just recently started swimming but before that no cardio) and 1500 works great for me. And she weighs 76 lbs more than me so I think she can go even higher like 1700-1800 to cut.

But again it’s a tracking issue so that needs to be resolved first. She will have to start weighing all her food if guestimating is not working for her. And make sure she includes condiments, drinks, bites, grazing etc and counts everything.

Yeah that might be necessary for her for now in her circumstances because she’s not tracking correctly. But just wanted to add that it’s probably only needed temporarily. Once she learns how to track everything precisely, then she can go back to estimating and see if it works better now that she’s more knowledgeable.

Just think it’s important to add that so people don’t think they will have to weigh everything forever. Once you get educated on how portion sizes work etc you can estimate better and should be able to reach your goals with estimating so you can let go of weighing everything, because that is pretty burdensome long term.

needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It doesn't make sense. Her calories are so low that the fat should be dripping off. Only conclusions are that she's either not measuring correctly, or she's cheating and in denial. This could cause problems in your relationship if you say she's in denial, so personally I would back off.

Thank you everyone, the help is greatly appreciated

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Fatloss is a produuct of a consistent net calorie deficit over time..

Even if she WAS eating\drinking 1200 a day a couple times a week that is not taking in 1,200 calories. Calories need to be figured on a weekly basis..Add up weekly calories and divide by 7. This is your true daily amount.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Junsuiakai has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The lady at my work claims every day she only hits 1,200 calories a day but weighs more than most. I know if I argued with her, she'd deny it till her face turned blue, same with your gf. She is in denial, she probably snacks and either forgets about it or doesn't count it. At 1200 at her height and weight, even being female, she would lose weight for certain.

If you want to help her. Then prepare all of her food and don't let her buy snacks. You can't help somebody till they admit they have a problem
    FS/ S/ OHP/ B/ DL
    120/150/70/100/180 =KG

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173620211&page=138 go here if you want an estimation on your bf%

Registered User MajorTendonitis's Avatar
    MajorTendonitis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MajorTendonitis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MajorTendonitis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MajorTendonitis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MajorTendonitis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MajorTendonitis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MajorTendonitis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MajorTendonitis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MajorTendonitis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MajorTendonitis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MajorTendonitis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    An overweight sloot ,this is unexceptable !
    Two words , shes cheating
    Crazy people don’t know there crazy . I know I’m crazy, therefore I’m not crazy .
    Isn’t that crazy?