Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Intermediate routine with just a power cage?

Hi guys / gals

I’m currently planning my home gym. I’m space-limited more so than cash-limited, so I’m going to get a nice power rack, a good barbell and bumper plates, and a few accessories for the rack. I’ve already got a bench, though I’ll probably replace it with a better one, and the much-maligned Bowflex dumbbells that I’ll eventually replace when I break them, as seems to be the most-forecasted outcome.

I’m running Fierce 5 novice at the moment, and honestly, I feel like I’ve got some room to grow on it yet (and still love doing it). However, there will come a point when I need more recovery time, and I guess that’ll be in the next 6 months or so. When I read the F5 intermediate program just now, I saw things like leg curls, lat pull-downs (alternating with pull-ups, so I can’t really sub those in), leg press, etc. that aren’t really feasible with just a bar and a cage. So which program would you recommend at that stage, if I can’t expand with significantly more equipment? Anything that you feel is particularly well-suited to the home gym setup I described above?
    My Fierce 5 Novice log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175702561&p=1550387651#post1550387651

My Strava profile: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3015113

Building The Monolith Anthony21's Avatar
    Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'd say take a look into 5/3/1.

It focuses on Bench, Squat, Deadlifting, and the Overhead Press. All this can be done inside and outside your rack.

Accessory work can be done with a barbell and some dumbbells i.e. pendlay rows, RDL, SLDL, Deficit pulls, pause deadlifts, pause squats, good mornings, barbell or dumbbell shrug, pull up or chin up, barbell curls, db curls, skull crusher, db rolling tricep extension, etc, etc.
    Last edited by Anthony21; 12-06-2018 at 10:36 PM.
    Forum Representative
    www.bluestarnutraceuticals.com

Stay Connected with Exclusive Content & Special Offers:
    Facebook: bluestarnutraceuticals
    Instagram: @bluestarnutraceuticals
    YouTube: bluestarnutraceuticals

My 5/3/1 training log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175799121

Instagram: l_anthony

OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OldFartTom is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There are loads of programs based on barbell that you could do with a cage/rack, flat bench, bar and something to do pull-ups on.

Depending on your goals, intermediate might include:

* 5/3/1
    * MadCow (sort of like an intermediate Stronglifts)
    * Texas method (sort of intermediate starting strength) and if you have dumbbells to kroc row then in the forum there is
    * GrouchJarHead's PowerBuilder https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=169993933
    Faith in Jesus first and faith in squats second.
    Then other details will start to slot themselves into place.
    BW on 10/12/2018 - 71.5 Kg , Target BW - 70 Kg / 154# (6.5kg down, 1.5 more to go, slowly does it).

Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Corbets is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks guys. I’ll dig into those over the next few months and get to know them!
    My Fierce 5 Novice log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175702561&p=1550387651#post1550387651

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I'd be happy with just that setup. You can do almost everything you need apart from a few cable exercises.

Substitutions I'd have to make:
    - upright rows instead of cable laterals
    - barbell instead of dumbbell presses
    - reverse grip rows instead of close grip cable rows
    - hip abduction - maybe buy ankle weights
    - use bars instead of cable curls, cable overhead tricep extension.

The main thing I'd miss is the pec fly machine which is really not crucial at all.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I'd be happy with just that setup. You can do almost everything you need apart from a few cable exercises.

Substitutions I'd have to make:
    - upright rows instead of cable laterals
    - barbell instead of dumbbell presses
    - reverse grip rows instead of close grip cable rows
    - hip abduction - maybe buy ankle weights
    - use bars instead of cable curls, cable overhead tricep extension.

The main thing I'd miss is the pec fly machine which is really not crucial at all.
    Thanks! Would rep, but on spread. Final setup may yet vary a little depending on the exact measurements of the room (I’ve only seen it once, but after I move in next week I’ll know better whether I can, for sample, squeeze in a cable crossover machine). But that reads like really good thoughts.

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Quad isolations - sissy squat is a good one. You can hold on to something and apply resistance with your hands on the way up.

Hamstring isolations are no so easy but you can get most of what you need with Romanian deadlifts