Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Trying to do this right, been one week lean bulking so far

Before anything, I’m 145lbs, 5’8”, 26 years old. Anyways, after a while spinning my wheels I finally said screw it, I have to bulk to get stronger. My calorie intake was about 1800 calories daily easily. This may not be 100% accurate but it’s certainly a lot better than before but...I used a few online calorie calculators to find my maintenance calories at an activity level of lightly active (workout 1-3 times a week). My maintenance came out to 2200 calories so basically my maintenance calories are already above what I’ve been eating. Crazy, right? Anyways, I added 200-300 calories to that as my surplus on top of my new surplus...so now I’m getting 2400-2500 calories a day. I’m measuring my calories to the T, so I’m not like one of those people stuffing themselves and claiming they “eat a lot”. The first few days I just ate whatever to get in 2400. After that I started looking into my macros and realized my protein intake was only 50-60 or so grams so I was like I do NOT want my bulk to be mostly fat gain. For the next 5 days until now, I’ve focused heavily on making protein a priority, making all my meals around protein. Went to the warehouse grocery store..got a bunch of cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, eggs, tuna, chicken breast, lentils, quinoa, milk, whole wheat bread, and almonds. So now my protein intake is about 160g which is pretty good being that you don’t really need more than 1g/lb of bodyweight. Once I hit my protein intake I just fill the rest of my calories up with carbs but I haven’t really even had to do that. Having to get in enough protein has forced me to eat healthier too since I’m not going to find much protein in chips, candy, and popcorn as well as not eating out anymore.

Now I should be gaining half a pound a week with 2400 calories a day seeing how that’s already 600 calories above what I was eating daily. Only thing is this morning I weighed myself no clothes, after using the bathroom...weight came out to 145.2lbs. When I was on 1800 calories a day, I was at 145.6. I’m thinking well, it’s only been a week, it’s not enough time yet or the high protein is dehydrating me considerably so technically I did gain half a pound, I’m just really dehydrated waking up.

If I don’t gain 2-3 pounds by end of this month, then I’m increasing my calories by another 200...so 2600 a day then 2800..until I gain 2-3lbs a month.

Am I missing anything diet-wise? Do I have it down pat more or less?
    Last edited by Animal2692; 12-06-2018 at 08:37 AM.

Jakeh1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jakeh1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jakeh1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jakeh1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Current research suggests 0.7g of protein per lb of bodyweight is sufficient.

You need to ensure you're eating enough fats. Approx 0.4g per lb of bodyweight is ideal.

You would ideally like to gain 1-2lb a month so continue to monitor (ensuring your tracking is accurate) and if no weight gain consider increasing your calories slightly.

letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Animal2692 View Post
    Before anything, I’m 145lbs, 5’8”, 26 years old. Anyways, after a while spinning my wheels I finally said screw it, I have to bulk to get stronger. My calorie intake was about 1800 calories daily easily. This may not be 100% accurate but it’s certainly a lot better than before but...I used a few online calorie calculators to find my maintenance calories at an activity level of lightly active (workout 1-3 times a week). My maintenance came out to 2200 calories so basically my maintenance calories are already above what I’ve been eating. Crazy, right? Anyways, I added 200-300 calories to that as my surplus on top of my new surplus...so now I’m getting 2400-2500 calories a day. I’m measuring my calories to the T, so I’m not like one of those people stuffing themselves and claiming they “eat a lot”. The first few days I just ate whatever to get in 2400. After that I started looking into my macros and realized my protein intake was only 50-60 or so grams so I was like I do NOT want my bulk to be mostly fat gain. For the next 5 days until now, I’ve focused heavily on making protein a priority, making all my meals around protein. Went to the warehouse grocery store..got a bunch of cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, eggs, tuna, chicken breast, lentils, quinoa, milk, whole wheat bread, and almonds. So now my protein intake is about 160g which is pretty good being that you don’t really need more than 1g/lb of bodyweight. Once I hit my protein intake I just fill the rest of my calories up with carbs but I haven’t really even had to do that. Having to get in enough protein has forced me to eat healthier too since I’m not going to find much protein in chips, candy, and popcorn as well as not eating out anymore.

Now I should be gaining half a pound a week with 2400 calories a day seeing how that’s already 600 calories above what I was eating daily. Only thing is this morning I weighed myself no clothes, after using the bathroom...weight came out to 145.2lbs. When I was on 1800 calories a day, I was at 145.6. I’m thinking well, it’s only been a week, it’s not enough time yet or the high protein is dehydrating me considerably so technically I did gain half a pound, I’m just really dehydrated waking up.

If I don’t gain 2-3 pounds by end of this month, then I’m increasing my calories by another 200...so 2600 a day then 2800..until I gain 2-3lbs a month.

Am I missing anything diet-wise? Do I have it down pat more or less?
    how on earth did you ate 60 protons before. thats what normal people eat on daily basis

Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Animal2692 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by letsallmakeit View Post
    how on earth did you ate 60 protons before. thats what normal people eat on daily basis
    I would only eat out and eat food not high in protein. Slamming cookies, chocolate, soda, processed foods. I never meal prepped or anything. On my first day bulking I drank a full half carton of heavy whipping cream diluted with water and chocolate syrup added to it. There’s 1500 calories in that alone. So I only ate 900 more calories of food that day. 1500 calories only fat, no protein.

Thing is when I dirty bulked a few years back, I was drinking heavy whipping cream shakes twice a day. I was getting 3000 EMPTY calories alone from those everyday. I gained 10 pounds a month. Never again. And now I run from whipped cream.

I thought I could go back to drinking heavy whipping cream on my first day lean bulking...I was just going to drink a lot less than I used to. I gagged enough on that shake and it reminded me of the past. I stopped right away.

Imagine that you can hit your calorie surplus only by eating a stick of butter a day. That was my mindset. I thought yayyy I barley have to still eat! All I gotta do is just gag on this carton of heavy whipping cream and I’m golden. Calorie surplus done, gains here I come.

I’ve just always hated eating man. I always saw eating as a waste of time. If I could magically eliminate eating altogether to do other things and still be alive, I would. I hate having to sit there and eat or to go get food or to cook food. All my life I’ve been lean. Parents would always get on me about skipping meals all the time. Hunger would just be this annoying urge that I just wanted to put away with some food and be done with it. If it wasn’t for me wanting to gain muscle, I’d be under 130 right now. Lifting has saved my life.
    Last edited by Animal2692; 12-06-2018 at 09:23 AM.

cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000) cljolley is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah I hate eating man too. They’re all stringy. Children are much tastier

Just make you’re you’re getting .7g protein per lb of body weight. A bit under is acceptable as that figure relies on LBM not body weight. Anyhow you’re height and weight are the same as me so I would say you’re on the right track with what you’re doing now. Ignore day to day fluctuations in weight. They will confuse and frustrate you. Calculate a rolling average by weighing yourself every morning and averaging a 5-7 day streak and then watch that number. If you’re not gaining add 100 calories or so. But give it time. Don’t try to rush it. Remain constant for at least two weeks to get an accurate figure of how much you’re gaining and how quickly.

Originally Posted by cljolley View Post
    Yeah I hate eating man too. They’re all stringy. Children are much tastier

Just make you’re you’re getting .7g protein per lb of body weight. A bit under is acceptable as that figure relies on LBM not body weight. Anyhow you’re height and weight are the same as me so I would say you’re on the right track with what you’re doing now. Ignore day to day fluctuations in weight. They will confuse and frustrate you. Calculate a rolling average by weighing yourself every morning and averaging a 5-7 day streak and then watch that number. If you’re not gaining add 100 calories or so. But give it time. Don’t try to rush it. Remain constant for at least two weeks to get an accurate figure of how much you’re gaining and how quickly.
    One time when I was trying to get in 3000 calories in a day, I was at 2600 at the end of the day so I needed 400 more. I decided to have 4 beers instead...100 calories each. Not only am I hitting my 3000, but I get to enjoy it too. I’ve done some crazy things trying to bulk up in the past. Never again.

I didn’t know protein was based off lean body mass, that’s good I guess.
    Last edited by Animal2692; 12-06-2018 at 09:38 AM.

letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10) letsallmakeit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Animal2692 View Post
    I would only eat out and eat food not high in protein. Slamming cookies, chocolate, soda, processed foods. I never meal prepped or anything. On my first day bulking I drank a full half carton of heavy whipping cream diluted with water and chocolate syrup added to it. There’s 1500 calories in that alone. So I only ate 900 more calories of food that day. 1500 calories only fat, no protein.

Thing is when I dirty bulked a few years back, I was drinking heavy whipping cream shakes twice a day. I was getting 3000 EMPTY calories alone from those everyday. I gained 10 pounds a month. Never again. And now I run from whipped cream.

I thought I could go back to drinking heavy whipping cream on my first day lean bulking...I was just going to drink a lot less than I used to. I gagged enough on that shake and it reminded me of the past. I stopped right away.

Imagine that you can hit your calorie surplus only by eating a stick of butter a day. That was my mindset. I thought yayyy I barley have to still eat! All I gotta do is just gag on this carton of heavy whipping cream and I’m golden. Calorie surplus done, gains here I come.

I’ve just always hated eating man. I always saw eating as a waste of time. If I could magically eliminate eating altogether to do other things and still be alive, I would. I hate having to sit there and eat or to go get food or to cook food. All my life I’ve been lean. Parents would always get on me about skipping meals all the time. Hunger would just be this annoying urge that I just wanted to put away with some food and be done with it. If it wasn’t for me wanting to gain muscle, I’d be under 130 right now. Lifting has saved my life.
    im the complete opposite. i love to eat!

RedRusty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RedRusty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RedRusty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RedRusty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RedRusty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RedRusty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RedRusty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RedRusty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RedRusty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RedRusty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RedRusty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hate.....eating......no comprendo.

Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Millz12323 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by RedRusty View Post
    Hate.....eating......no comprendo.
    These threads where people have trouble eating like barely 3k calories really confuse the hell out of me. Especially when they're not even trying to eat clean.

OP isn't there a food that you really like? Eat what you normally eat in a day and add your favourite food to that once a day.

I ate half a pint of ice cream last night. Why are you drinking cream instead of eating foods you enjoy? On my previous bulk all I changed was I started slamming a peanut butter and jam with a glass of whole milk pre workout and I put on weight at an alarming pace.
    2018 goals - squat 315, bench 275, DL 405,
    OHP 1XBW

Currently lifts
    Bench - 250 - 3x3
    Squat - 295 - 3x3
    Deadlift - 405 - 1x2
    OHP - 165 - 1x5 (taking a long break from this one)
    BW - 180