Thread: Water Cut Story

SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Talking Water Cut Story

Personal story to share and a serious question. Question first, how hard can you water cut for a powerlifting meet and still be competitive? Now for my high school story.

So, a barely muscled 25%bf teenager, me, asked the coach "hey, would it be fine if I cut for a lower weight class?". Being a smart coach who didn't insist diets on growing teens, he said "Now if you cared about optimizing your body composition and weight, you would've follow a health concious diet and not dirty bulked. It's too late to lose fat 'cause the meet's tommorrow, but I still recommend you eat your fruits and veg and lay off the high fat food if you can". "For now I'll show you a water cut trick that'll have you drop about 10lbs". So what I followed was something like this.

4pm Post-Workout have a normal post workout meal, then drink an excessive amount of water. Coach described it as "oh, you'll know when to stop. Just keep drinking and you'll know when ". I drank probably close to a third of a gallon until I got a severe headache.

I did not drink water for the remainder of the day. Had my normal dinner Mom made, and went to sleep.

Following day. Woke up at 6am, had a light breakfast. Something like a chocolate milk, cheap frozen/microwave egg n' cheese croissant, an apple, and orange juice. Still not drinking water. 2pm Didn't have lunch, but I had a protein bar and a powerade ready for after the weigh in. It was a success, I barely creeped under 181, at a 180.9lbs, which was 12.1lbs loss from yesterday's weigh in. The meet wasn't until 4pm, so I had time to rehydrate.

That meet went okay, I benched 205, and clean and jerked 195. I wasn't competitve, not even for junior varsity, but it was a PR. Now the reason I ask is 'coz I'm getting back into lifting. I'm thinking after about 3-5 years when I've figured out my optimal body fat for competing and get some decent foundation on me, I wanted to show up for a +curl powerlifting meet and creep above the Florida state record for whichever weight class would be easier for me, I was thinking around the 165 and 198 classes coz' I'm 5'7.5" and don't wish to be obese like I was in high school.

By that time though, unless I can manage to be 6%bf and still lift good weight I'd imagine 165lbs class would be water cut territory. Anyways, thanks for reading my anecdote. The initial question was, how much could someone water cut and still be competitive in a Powerlifting meet, not necessarily hit a PR that meet, but still be strong enough to outlift some other serious lifters who probably water cut too. Thanks for reading
    "What's the one thing you gain from losing everything? It's perspective because then it wasn't about if my glass was half empty or half full, I was just grateful that I had a glass." - Nick Scott

Lost a lotta weight crew
    Weighted Pull-Up 50lbs x 3
    Every Damn Day Crew
    Enjoys a Cup of Coffee Crew
    18% Bodyfat Crew
    Home Gym Crew
    Dumbbells or GTFO Crew
    Safety Razor Crew

Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Depends on if its a 2 hour or 24 hour weigh in. I've never attempted to cut anything on a 2 hour weigh in. However, 5% cut on a 24 hour weigh in is pretty easy and shouldn't affect strength much. 10% will likely affect strength, and you need to be very aware of how your re-hydrating.
    Most of my lifting gets posted to Instagram - https://instagram.com/fayerjw/

Best lifts 617/391/705 - Best Total: 1681

SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) SpeculatorSam is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks Rags. Although I've never competed as an informed adult, my personal rule of hydration is "if you know you're going to workout and it's six hours 'til, have 8-16 oz of water every hour until I find myself having to pee every thirty minutes, then just 8oz every hour until the workout begins". Would this adage be fine for an afternoon/evening meet if a water cut was done, or would there have to be a different strategy for re-hydration? Thanks again for reading.
    "What's the one thing you gain from losing everything? It's perspective because then it wasn't about if my glass was half empty or half full, I was just grateful that I had a glass." - Nick Scott

Lost a lotta weight crew
    Weighted Pull-Up 50lbs x 3
    Every Damn Day Crew
    Enjoys a Cup of Coffee Crew
    18% Bodyfat Crew
    Home Gym Crew
    Dumbbells or GTFO Crew
    Safety Razor Crew

Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rags85 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You should start re-hydrating right after weigh in. Start at 24 hours out, not 6. Also depending on the size of the cut, its equally as important to get your entire nutrition back up. Peeing/sweating out 10-15 lbs carries a lot of other stuff with it than just water. Focusing on just water, it is unlikely your body will even be able to hold on to it all.

I am by no means an expert on this topic. I've only done a few 10 lbs or less cuts. I do know enough though, that doing it wrong is worse than not doing it at all.
    Most of my lifting gets posted to Instagram - https://instagram.com/fayerjw/

Best lifts 617/391/705 - Best Total: 1681