Dimerien is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Mass Gainer and Whey Protein

Hi Everyone,

Wondering if taking a mass gainer along with a whey protein is a good idea in my situation. I'm 5'10" and 160 and looking to bulk up to around 170-175. Recommended protein intake is 205g per day. My mostly pescatarian/vegetarian diet limits my daily protein intake, so I was wondering if taking an additional whey protein immediately after a workout is advised in conjunction with a daily mass gainer.

I currently take the ON PRO Gainer (60g of protein) with the ON micronized creatine monohydrate.

My PRO gainer is empty and I'm wondering what my next move should be... It's worked exceptionally well. I went from 145-160 in a matter of months. If I should continue down the path of the PRO gainer or try something like the ON SERIOUS gainer (50g protein) and get additional protein from a whey?

Any recommendations as prolonged SORENESS has been an issue??
    Last edited by Dimerien; 12-05-2018 at 06:09 PM.

It's ****ing Chucky! Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Dimerien View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Wondering if taking a mass gainer along with a whey protein is a good idea in my situation. I'm 5'10" and 160 and looking to bulk up to around 170-175. Recommended protein intake is 205g per day. My mostly pescatarian/vegetarian diet limits my daily protein intake, so I was wondering if taking an additional whey protein immediately after a workout is advised in conjunction with a daily mass gainer.

I currently take the ON PRO Gainer (60g of protein) with the ON micronized creatine. I plan on switching to monohydrate once my current container is empty.

My PRO gainer is empty and I'm wondering what my next move should be... It's worked exceptionally well. I went from 145-160 in a matter of months. If I should continue down the path of the PRO gainer or try something like the ON SERIOUS gainer (50g protein) and get additional protein from a whey?

Any recommendations as prolonged SORENESS has been an issue??
    You don't need 205g of protein per day, though there is nothing wrong with doing so either.

Use protein powder as necessary to meet your daily protein macro.

Eat more food, drink more milk, or make your own 'gainer' with oats, peanut butter, olive oil, ice cream, whatever, rather than buy a gainer, generally speaking.

Track your calories and carbs/fat/protein. www.fitday.com is an example of a free website and app that makes tracking fairly easy, especially once you get some momentum and experience doing so. I'd ask what your daily calories and carb/fat/protein have been, but I get the impression you don't know.

Soreness? What is your routine?
    Controlled Labs Rep
    nathan @ controlledlabs.com

Orange Triad - Currently BOGO - 50% off
    Orange Oximega Fish Oil - Currently BOGO - 50% off

Dimerien is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    You don't need 205g of protein per day, though there is nothing wrong with doing so either.

Use protein powder as necessary to meet your daily protein macro.

Eat more food, drink more milk, or make your own 'gainer' with oats, peanut butter, olive oil, ice cream, whatever, rather than buy a gainer, generally speaking.

Track your calories and carbs/fat/protein. Fitdayis an example of a free website and app that makes tracking fairly easy, especially once you get some momentum and experience doing so. I'd ask what your daily calories and carb/fat/protein have been, but I get the impression you don't know.
    Soreness? What is your routine?
    I have prolonged muscle soreness most notably from RDLs and bicep workouts. 3-4 day soreness. My routine is very basic. 3-4 sets of 8 or 10 depending on the workout. Basic muscle group focus (chest/triceps, biceps/back, legs, shoulders in the mix). For now I like the idea of having a store-bought 'on the go' gainer, although I know homemade gainers are more cost effective and just as efficient (if not more).

Protein calculators put me anywhere from needing 65-205 grams per day. I get 50 from my gainer currently and take that once per day. As a vegetarian/pescatarian I feel as if I have a sufficient calorie intake and get my proteins in other ways such as tofu etc. I should start tracking my meals, huh. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyways, my questions is two parts...

1. Would adding a whey protein to my current routine be overkill since I already take a gainer?
    2. Could this prolonged muscle soreness be a sign that I need more protein or simply overtraining?

Hopefully we can get as close as possible to the answer!

It's ****ing Chucky! Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have prolonged muscle soreness most notably from RDLs and bicep workouts. 3-4 day soreness. My routine is very basic. 3-4 sets of 8 or 10 depending on the workout. Basic muscle group focus (chest/triceps, biceps/back, legs, shoulders in the mix). For now I like the idea of having a store-bought 'on the go' gainer, although I know homemade gainers are more cost effective and just as efficient (if not more).

Protein calculators put me anywhere from needing 65-205 grams per day. I get 50 from my gainer currently and take that once per day. As a vegetarian/pescatarian I feel as if I have a sufficient calorie intake and get my proteins in other ways such as tofu etc. I should start tracking my meals, huh. Thanks for the suggestion.

1. Would adding a whey protein to my current routine be overkill since I already take a gainer?
    2. Could this prolonged muscle soreness be a sign that I need more protein or simply overtraining?

You don't need more grams of protein than your bodyweight in lbs, per day.

Yes you should track your macros.

You should list out your full routine if you want input on why you are getting excessive soreness. It's likely an issue of doing the movement or targeting the muscle with too little frequency.
    Controlled Labs Rep
    nathan @ controlledlabs.com

Orange Triad - Currently BOGO - 50% off
    Orange Oximega Fish Oil - Currently BOGO - 50% off

Location: Manchester, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) faipdeooiad has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

The ‘prolonged’ DOMS is likely just because you’re new to training (I’m gathering that from your questions). Throwing more protein at it isn’t going to resolve it - proper nutrition (including carbs and fat), rest and hydration will all help.

If it’s bad enough, get some Epsom salts or a muscle soak and have a bath. I’ve recently started this and I’m noticing some benefits, however small. You’re not overtraining.

Also, I’m pescetarian/vegetarian and believe me - your daily protein intake is not limited. All the fish in the world, eggs, soy/tofu, mushrooms, cheese, milk, nuts. I could go on.
    Yer da sells Avon

Heizz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Heizz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Heizz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Heizz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Heizz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Heizz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Heizz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Heizz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Heizz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Heizz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Heizz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Not only are home-made gainers more cost effective - but they will most likely taste better and you'll know exactly what you're consuming.

I would avoid the gainer - and just recommend whole foods if possible. If not, I would recommend picking a whey product up.
    Myprotein's Official Bodybuilding.com Lead Representative ✔
    ► Europe's #1 Online Sports Nutrition Brand ◄
    US Site: us.myprotein.com
    Rest of the world: myprotein.com
    Fuel Your Ambition!