andybgr is on a distinguished road. (+10)

just bought a treadmill, now what?

Greetings,

I am male, 37 years old, ex-smoker, 100kg (220lb), 174cm (5'8"), Mesomorph body-type (even though it doesn't seem like that now because I gained weight). Diagnosed with hypertension (controlled with medication). I have been sitting a lot the past few years (true couch potato) and gained a lot of weight, and hypertension is also a result of that.

7 years ago I used to be fit, running about 10k with ease each day, and I used to weight 76kg.

The one and only gym in my area closed, although I was walking for 45 mins for a couple of days each week during the summer (not much I know) - now during the winter it's a problem and I became a couch potato again.

I am not giving up, so today I bought myself a treadmill with the money I saved from quitting smoking - I thought it was the best thing to reward myself with.

My goal is to become fit and healthy - of course my primary goal is weight loss but I know that comes with a lot of patience and it takes time, so focusing just to be at a healthy level, weight loss will follow.

So I have a few questions.

-can you guys help me with a treadmill program? (I don't think I am able to run just yet so I need to start slow)
    -my first thoughts were to do 45min walking in the morning and 45min walking in the evening until I get more fit so I can step it up.
    -I've searched the internet and found out that the C25k (Couch to 5k) program is very interesting, should I follow it as a beginner?
    -I know that one of the best weight loss programs is HIIT, but I am afraid it's too much for me to start running at such a pace - I am not sure if i can even follow the C25k just yet.
    -Should I start walking for a few weeks before I get into any form of running?
    -Having hypertension is it ok to even run just yet? I know cardio will help me with hypertension, but are there any risks? (the doctor said i can do cardio) - but at what pace?

Unfortunately I don't have any weights at home, but I can begin at least with pushups-sittups until I get some.
    And yes I know all about diet, most weight loss occurs in the kitchen, so yes, I am planning to eat healthy 5-6 meals per day and watch my calorie take, and of course what to put inside me (protein, carbos, fat etc).

that's all..

Sorry for the essay, and thank you in advance.
    Last edited by andybgr; 12-05-2018 at 04:18 PM.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by andybgr View Post
    And yes I know all about diet, all weight loss occurs in the kitchen, so yes, I am planning to eat healthy 5-6 meals per day and watch my calorie take, and of course what to put inside me (protein, carbos, fat etc).
    Fixed in bold. You actually don't even need to do cardio to lose weight, all exercise does is aid in generating a caloric deficit, but you can do it all with diet alone. And you don't need to eat 5-6 meals a day if you're just trying to lose weight. If you're lifting weights and trying to build muscle then a more consistent protein intake spread across the day is beneficial, but its not required for weight loss.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    OP, if you are not LIFTING WEIGHTS and getting adequate protein, you'll lose significant muscle along with fat. You'll have a better body composition by LIFTING while you lose. Do you want to lose WEIGHT or lose FAT?

(Cardio is fine, but will not preserve muscle.)

thank you for your answers, I also have a question about that too,

sitting all day, I only eat 2 healhty meals per day (I rarely eat junk food, only like once per month) - and by eating only 2 meals I feel fine doing it, no hunger. My weight is always steady at 100kg for more than a year by doing that. Which means I have very low metabolism. Probably by eating only 2 meals (low calories) my body gets into starvation mode and it stores fat? I believe that's the case.

I really want to get into a 5-6 meal diet - it will benefit me in many ways with my metabolism. But I'm afraid to do so because if I suddenly raise my calories to the amount my body really needs, I am afraid I will gain weight suddenly. And now because I am going to begin with my exercise plan, of course I will need more calories. I just don't know what is the best approach getting those 5-6 meals.

The only thing for sure is to focus on protein intake, and control my insulin/glucagon (don't know the exact english words)

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    OP, if you are not LIFTING WEIGHTS and getting adequate protein, you'll lose significant muscle along with fat. You'll have a better body composition by LIFTING while you lose. Do you want to lose WEIGHT or lose FAT?

(Cardio is fine, but will not preserve muscle.)
    Btw, I want to lose fat, weight can go down about 10-15kg I will be happy at 85-90kg if I'm to also build muscle. Unfortunately, as I said in my first post I don't have any weight equipment at home, but I am planning to get some in the long run though - at least a multi machine (chest, back, legs) all in one, and free-weights which are easier to get economicaly, for home.
    Last edited by andybgr; 12-05-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you want 5-6 meals a day and are worried it’ll be to much then make them smaller meals. I advice calorie counting and use a scale to weigh your foods. You can eat 10 12 meals a day as long as your in a deficit you can even eat one big meal day

Sweatin' to death in FL jubjubrsx's Avatar
    jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jubjubrsx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    so you bought an expensive clothes hanger?

at least walk 10-15min a day
    Runner Crew (48.6 miles Dopey Challenge -- Completed)
    Skinny to fat back to skinny crew
    Just say no to Carbs

Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000) Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000) Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000) Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000) Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000) Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000) Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000) Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000) Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000) Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000) Gneejack is just really nice. (+1000)
    Get a refund on the treadmill and buy weights instead. Lots of alternatives to running, like jumping rope or burpees for cardio. No replacement for lifting weights, not even body weight exercises.

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    +1 weights are imperative for good body composition. Non-negotiable. If you can only afford one or the other, I say spend the money on weights over the treadmill. Walking/running can be done outside on asphalt/trails etc.

I do think, however, that you should absolutely pursue cardio/running. Being a former smoker too I can tell you that NOTHING has done more to help me recover from the effects of smoking than running. Lungs/cardiovascular/heart health - all majorly improved. I smoked for 18 years and I still somehow have athlete-level RHR and blood pressure, and it's all due to running.

A good well-rounded fitness program will incorporate both cardiovascular and resistance training. Both are important to fitness and health.

Registered User tomusannonymous's Avatar
    tomusannonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomusannonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomusannonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomusannonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomusannonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomusannonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomusannonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomusannonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomusannonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomusannonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10) tomusannonymous is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    HIIT or LISS, i guess u never lift huh?
    Lmao
    Good for you for making better choices for your health tho.
    I used to work repairing treadmills and ppl having them at home is a giant waste of money, they break eventually (especially if theyre not properly adjusted the mat can go to one side and gets wrecked quickly, also the control panels dont last long) and are expensive to fix, and most ppl barely use them once they have it. The retail value is super high compared to the resale value.

mrgrtt123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mrgrtt123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mrgrtt123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mrgrtt123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mrgrtt123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mrgrtt123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mrgrtt123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mrgrtt123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mrgrtt123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mrgrtt123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mrgrtt123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I honestly prefer walking or running around the neighborhood. We have an old treadmill at home but it's just my brother who uses it and it's just once in a blue moon. It is better to breathe some fresh air outside.

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    sitting all day, I only eat 2 healhty meals per day (I rarely eat junk food, only like once per month) - and by eating only 2 meals I feel fine doing it, no hunger. My weight is always steady at 100kg for more than a year by doing that. Which means I have very low metabolism. Probably by eating only 2 meals (low calories) my body gets into starvation mode and it stores fat? I believe that's the case.

I really want to get into a 5-6 meal diet - it will benefit me in many ways with my metabolism. But I'm afraid to do so because if I suddenly raise my calories to the amount my body really needs, I am afraid I will gain weight suddenly. And now because I am going to begin with my exercise plan, of course I will need more calories. I just don't know what is the best approach getting those 5-6 meals.
    You have a very large misunderstanding when it comes to weight loss. It doesn't matter how healthy you think your meals are, or the fact that you're only eating two of them, and it has nothing to do with your self-perceived slow metabolism. It has to do with the fact that you do nothing all day and have a very low NEAT (non exercise activity level), which means you don't burn many calories because you don't move. Your metabolism is not slow, self admittedly you are a couch potato, and as a result your caloric needs are low, which is why you maintain weight on those 2 meals a day; you are eating at maintenance.

Weight loss is all calories in vs. calories out, and if you move to a 5-6 meal schedule and gain weight it will be because you are now in a caloric surplus (taking in more calories than you burn), and no other reason. Eating 5-6 meals a day does not "speed up your metabolism".

Also, for the purposes of this conversation, starvation mode does not apply to you. It applies to people who are actually starving (picture a man your height under 100 lbs, that is who I'm referring to), not someone who is overweight trying to lose weight.
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The cost of a treadmill here in the UK is a yearly gym membership. I would get a refund on that and join a gym or buy some weights to use at home, for your cardio needs, go for a brisk walk.

Over the past few months I have found that just lifting in the gym alone, although I am building muscle actually keeps my weight on the scales in check. On rest days it shoot up and I dont really do much cardio at the moment.

Hello guys, thank you for your replies. I am going to answer all of your points in this post and I am going to be honest about them.

I used to lift before, it was a very long time ago - about 12 years ago. I did some amateur bodybuilding for 2 or 3 years, I did not participate in events, but I did follow a good program with the owner of the gym who got many awards participating in national bodybuilding events.

I do know by heart that weight lifting gives more benefits than cardio - so I do understand why you guys replied to get weight equipment and focus on weight lifting and/or resistance training.

Although in the years that followed the gym in the area closed down, so whatever I had to do from then on was on my own. So without gym equipment at hand, I decided to explore long distance cross country running. I did manage myself to run with ease 10k every day, although sometimes I ran more than that, about 15-18k a day. Along with running I did pullups, pushups, situps, and other resistance type of exercises that I could think of without equipment.

Things turned around quickly in my life after that, I had a family member that pass away, my work place closed down, so I was badly economicaly, and depression kicked in. The result was, I started smoking, hypertension kick in, I didn't want to move at all, weight (fat) gain. I did try to push myself to do something from time to time, I realized that I didn't have the same endurance as before, so I started walking/jogging for a while, then I gave up, then I started again and gave up again, that cycle kept on going, and I felt really rusty from being a couch potato.

Why I bought a treadmill now instead of weight equipment? I felt that I need the movement. After sitting too much and feel your body get rusty, the only thing you want to do is start moving before anything else. I am not talking about only getting my heart rate up - I know this can also be done with weight lifting too, I mean "literally" start moving - walking, running, jogging anything. As I said, there is not gym in my area anymore, and winters get harsh in my place, so going cross country again it's not an option at this moment.

My goal is to get my fitness levels up, for now it's only cardio and some resistance without equipment. I also need to plan my meals correctly. I know fat loss will come along with that. And I will also buy weight equipment for home, I plan to make a small gym in my house in the long run. But for now, it's only cardio.

thanks
    Last edited by andybgr; 12-06-2018 at 05:30 AM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Trying to lose weight with only cardio will result in muscle loss, loss of strength, decrease in metabolism, probably fat regain. It's precisely why so many dieters put their fat back on soon after reaching their targets. It's also why people shrink with no real improvement to their shape.

As mentioned, sell the treadmill and get weight training equipment. That's the decision I would make in your situation without hesitation.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Trying to lose weight with only cardio will result in muscle loss, loss of strength, decrease in metabolism, probably fat regain. It's precisely why so many dieters put their fat back on soon after reaching their targets. It's also why people shrink with no real improvement to their shape.

As mentioned, sell the treadmill and get weight training equipment. That's the decision I would make in your situation without hesitation.
    Thank you for your reply. The truth is that I already have muscle loss, loss of strenght, and decrease in metabolism from sitting too much the past few years. I will follow your suggestion to sell or refund the treadmill and buy weight training equipment.

Btw, I see you live in Suffolk, I got a job offer in Newmarket, and I plan to move there before Spring. I do not know the area or the surrounding towns, are there any gyms in the area? Maybe a better alternative is to sell the treadmill and get a year's subscription in any gym if there is any in the area.

runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50) runuali will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thank you for your reply. The truth is that I already have muscle loss, loss of strenght, and decrease in metabolism from sitting too much the past few years. I will follow your suggestion to sell or refund the treadmill and buy weight training equipment.

Btw, I see you live in Suffolk, I got a job offer in Newmarket, and I plan to move there before Spring. I do not know the area or the surrounding towns, are there any gyms in the area? Maybe a better alternative is to sell the treadmill and get a year's subscription in any gym if there is any in the area.
    No doubt you will find a puregym or TheGym in most towns in UK, and its like £15 - £20 a month for a membership with no contract at those gyms. And they have plenty of treadmills to take your fancy

RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I use my treadmill almost every day, so let's try not to make blanket statements here. With my childcare situation, it's much easier for me to have a home set up. I am in agreement that you need a lifting plan in conjunction with any cardio, though; cardio alone isn't sufficient. I just happen to do both at home instead of joining a gym.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Good plan, joining a gym gives you more options - sorry but I'm not familiar with that area of Suffolk.