lillyybb is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy Bulking up and building muscle, but also getting more belly fat?

It's been about a year since I have started to commit to fitness. I would say the thing that motivated me to start working out was improving my butt (yes, I know typical female thing) but then a few months ago I've been following this program that my boyfriend put me on to improve my strength. It was the 5x5 program but just doing Squats, Bench, and Deadlift and nothing else. I found that I have been getting stronger (my booty, legs, and arms look decent.. still could be bigger though). I would really like for my lower body and upper body to grow more but the issue is since this bulking period I've been gaining so much belly fat equally just as much as muscle. My belly isn't extremely big but it is getting there (I'm guessing because of my horrendous genetics). I know in my case it's like I have to pick one or the other (losing fat or building muscle) but I really do wanna keep growing my booty! But I want my stomach to be flat as well, not big... and I don't mind my boobs going down as well.
    So what should I do

Oh and I have not been doing cardio. Just the 5x5 2-3 days a week.
    I used to weigh 103 lbs a year ago and I'm now 118. I'm 19 years old

GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You probably don't have that much belly fat at 118lbs. Ask your boyfriend what he thinks.

It's a given you'll gain fat while bulking. If it's becoming a problem, you can do a cut (which I doubt you'd need at that weight).

hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Post a picture on your bodyspace for more advice. Also more information like height and waist size would also be useful for estimate. As GA1N5 stated though at 118lbs you can't have that much fat and if probably just the need to add lean muscle slower if concerned, although 1lb a month for 12 months is pretty standard increase especially in females so you aren't far off that weight increase.

Originally Posted by GA1N5 View Post
    You probably don't have that much belly fat at 118lbs. Ask your boyfriend what he thinks.

It's a given you'll gain fat while bulking. If it's becoming a problem, you can do a cut (which I doubt you'd need at that weight).
    My parents tell me that I have gotten fatter in the stomach area though. Should I just start incorporating 2 days of Cardio or HIIT along with lifting or would that screw up my gainz

GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GA1N5 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by lillyybb View Post
    My parents tell me that I have gotten fatter in the stomach area though. Should I just start incorporating 2 days of Cardio or HIIT along with lifting or would that screw up my gainz
    Cardio doesn't magically burn fat unfortunately (at least while you're in a caloric surplus). You'd have to cut for that which would sacrifice some muscle gains.

Pictures would be helpful as hardyboysare said.

Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    Post a picture on your bodyspace for more advice. Also more information like height and waist size would also be useful for estimate. As GA1N5 stated though at 118lbs you can't have that much fat and if probably just the need to add lean muscle slower if concerned, although 1lb a month for 12 months is pretty standard increase especially in females so you aren't far off that weight increase.
    I'm 5'1 and my waist is 26-27 inches. I used to be really skinny fat and I still kind of am but with a bit more definition

GunsNsteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) GunsNsteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) GunsNsteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) GunsNsteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) GunsNsteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) GunsNsteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) GunsNsteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) GunsNsteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) GunsNsteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) GunsNsteak will become famous soon enough. (+50) GunsNsteak will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There really isn't any super-food that will go directly to your ass and not your stomach. Keep doing squats, weighted lunges, and that tummy will go,and that booty will grow. That's my 2 cents. Keep doing what you're doing and stay active. You're headed in the right direction.