welshieee is on a distinguished road. (+10)

What can I replace squats with? (back issues)

Hello,

I've lost a lot of weight following a low carb diet and discovered that I have structural kyphosis of the thoracic spine.

Height: 5 ft 9 (175cm)
    Starting weight: 291lbs
    Current weight: 175lbs
    Current bf%: 25.8

I'm currently lifting and feeling good following my workout regime, and I can see progress in my upper body - both chest and back. I feel great in that regard.

However, I want to incorporate more glute and leg work into my routine, and was wondering what I can do to replace squats?

I have been checked and have structural kyphosis, so this unfortunately isn't just a postural issue but a bone related structural issue of the spine.

Time in the gym to perform multiple exercises instead of squats isn't an issue.

As for goals, I have no desire to get big but more want to be in great shape with a low body fat percentage so I can get back into boxing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50) S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50) S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50) S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50) S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50) S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50) S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50) S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50) S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50) S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50) S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There's no "replacement," but maybe front squats (barbell or smith rack), leg press, lunges. This is a borderline medical question, imo.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hip belt squats might be something to try.
    They are a special belt that goes around the waist/hips and you attach weight to it and squat.
    You can use weight plates ,dumbbells or kettlebells as weight to attach.
    You may need to stand on blocks so you can get deep enough on your squats.
    The other alternative for you if boxing is your goal is just do high rep non weighted squats.
    These will help your endurance on the legs and all around.
    Other body weight leg movements like lunges or step ups could be an option.

Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^ Yes.

Bulgarian split squats may also be an option and can be loaded considerably with dumbbells or barbell.

Always consult your physio before trying anything new, though.
    "Listen, I want you to come down here and go dancing with me and we'll have fun together. You know you like The Spaniard, you know you like The Sith Lord, you know that. Hello? You're blushing, I know you're into The Sith Lord, I know it! Hello? Hello? Helloooo? Aww I lost connection."

StairwayToGym has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have 2 slipped discs in my lower back from work injuries so I have to be really careful. I personally go VERY light weight on squats on the smith machine for extra support on form, I also do leg press, leg extensions (quads), leg curls and lunges. Perfect your form to prevent any further pain or injury.