Thread: Getting heavier

Merbavac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Merbavac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Merbavac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Merbavac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Merbavac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Merbavac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Merbavac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Merbavac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Merbavac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Merbavac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Merbavac has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Getting heavier

Hey Guys

Im a 27 yo male. I currently weigh about 91 and im 5'10.
    I bench about 200 lbs, squat 270 lbs, deadlift 270 lbs and ohp 145 lbs.

I always did a bit of bodybuilding but now i havent done anything in awhile but i want to get back into training and specifically powerlifting. My goals are 300 lbs bench, 405 lbs squat, 460 lbs deadlift and 220 lbs OHP.

I know that voor these results i will have to gain a lot of weight but my question is; how much should i gain and how quick should i gain? after watching some powerlifting nutrition vids on YT, this video was recommended to me in the sidebar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBPJ8iwksCE&t=158s

This guy does a similar barbell training as i do and he's saying that he gained 10 lbs in a week by eating ****loads and shakes.

Are those kind of gains attainable and if yes, will that help? should i try this? it seems like quite an accomplishmen… or should i go for like 2-4 lbs a week?

In any case, i'll be following a starting-strength kind of barbell program for the next 8-10 months and i know that Rippetoe, the coach of Starting strength, advises beginners to consume up to 8000 cals a day!

Thanks

Registered User NoGainNoPainBro's Avatar
    NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Merbavac View Post
    i know that Rippetoe, the coach of Starting strength, advises beginners to consume up to 8000 cals a day!
    I was stupid enough to do that, and now I am spending already months in trying to lose that fat again. Yes, it will make you stronger, but the fat you are gaining is proportionally much more. If you want to compete in any sport that has weightclasses like powerlifting, this is a stupid idea.

The only person I would advice to heavily overeat for a short while, is a skinny beginner, or someone in the open weight class.