Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking 5 min of lifting a day is enough...

This morning i came across this study (showed in Danish morning TV) claiming that 5 min of lifting a day (as in 2 sets of bench press to failure) can reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease by a significant amount.

Interesting...what is you thoughs on this? We must be very healthy d:

https://journals.lww.com/acsm-msse/A...ith.96766.aspx
    The whole world's hip and thats not cool.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    According to the study, it's enough to improve some morbidity indicators (i.e. less likely to die) for people who otherwise do nothing

But at no point does it say 5 minutes bench training is enough to increase indicators of having a good bench
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 12-04-2018 at 03:23 AM.

Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10) Pindsvin is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Of course d: But i see many people on various forums asking if lifting is considered a form of cardio or "is lifting enough cardio for health" etc. According to this article I guess it is to some extend then

So i guess for the sedentary person, who, according to themselves do not have time for training, really have no excuse now d:
    The whole world's hip and thats not cool.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    IMHO people who do nothing at all would benefit from doing mostly anything, even for just 5 minutes a day. That could be 5 mins of bench to failure in that study, but could just as well be 5 minutes of air squats.

Again IMHO... the research is a bit on the edge of "no sh!t Sherlock" territory, although finding that even 5 mins makes a difference is useful I suppose.

I used to know someone who rehabilitated geriatrics and he described some dramtic improvements in life quality from very modest amounts of supervised exercise. So even in very infirm people there are benefits.

I feel like we are "preaching to the converted" discussing it in these forums though, so having this on morning TV sounds a very good thing!

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No.
    It's better than nothing but i wouldn't think that it has significant value.
    As mentioned maybe to an absolutely untrained individual.
    And if you went five minutes straight raising your breathing and start a sweat then maybe something there.

Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Domkratos has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Pindsvin View Post
    ...5 min of lifting a day (as in 2 sets of bench press to failure)...
    From my perspective, you'll never have time to recover from benching let's say 50-70% of 1RM to failure in less then four minutes, it's just biology, so fitting in 2 sets of anything into a 5 min session sounds to me more like science fiction, especially if you're over 35.
    Last edited by Domkratos; 12-13-2018 at 07:14 AM.

needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50) needgains1024 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I don't think weight lifting would have that much effect on cardio vascular health, not as much as calisthenics's anyway. You could by climbing ropes as fast as possible. You could do pullups and then pull yourself up. You most likely won't get no where near as big, but the movements involved in those kind of exercises most likely get your heart beating more. Same as that rope where you swing it up and down. That looks knackering as hell LOL.

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by needgains1024 View Post
    I don't think weight lifting would have that much effect on cardio vascular health...
    A Farmers' Walk up a hill with as much weight in each hand as you could barely carry for 5 minutes would greatly affect cardiovascular health.