MuayP750 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Periodization and hypertrophy?

How important is periodization for hypertrophy? Does it make an big difference to use some type off periodization vs adding weight, reps and sets when you are able to.

Also when it comes to periodization types, does it matter what type you use? Like linear periodization vs double progression.

Because volume is the main factor for hypertrophy, wouldent it be better to use some form off periodization that has you adding more volume each week?

And about rep ranges and hypertrophy, if total volume is matched, like 3x8 vs 6x4, the results in hypertrohy would be pretty close? but you would got stronger in the 6x4, as you work closer to your 1RM, is this right?

What periodization type is best for bodybuilders?

Rebinho is not very well liked. (-100) Rebinho is not very well liked. (-100) Rebinho is not very well liked. (-100) Rebinho is not very well liked. (-100) Rebinho is not very well liked. (-100) Rebinho is not very well liked. (-100) Rebinho is not very well liked. (-100) Rebinho is not very well liked. (-100) Rebinho is not very well liked. (-100) Rebinho is not very well liked. (-100) Rebinho is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by MuayP750 View Post
    What periodization type is best for bodybuilders?
    Welcome to the forums..This is kind of debatable but also statistic shown,:

"Research suggests that undulating periodization is slightly superior to linear periodization in terms of hypertrophy and strength gains. However, linear periodization provides more structure and may help to keep an exerciser more focused on achieving their specific fitness goal. Linear periodization also helps to to teach and make an exerciser more aware of the importance of slowly increasing their resistance weight over time to continually challenge their body with the increased weight load."

I personally do non-linear undulating periodization, because I run phat and phul.

That being said, don't overthink it. The training program and diet is waaaay more important.

The reason why its important for hypertrophy-training to go HIGH and LOW reps(ALSO VERY DEBATABLE and should be taken with a grant of salt!), is with LOW reps, you want to increase the weight, for your Higher reps, can maintain high, with higher weights.

ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For Muscle growth , you don't need to periodize your training especially as a recreational lifter

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    In addition to those research findings, anecdotally, most successful bodybuilders do not use it - and they would be if there was an advantage to be had.

Periodisation just formalises what good bodybuilders do intuitively - that is they change things up when they have to in order to overcome repeated bout effect adaptations. Normally we steer people away from such "muscle confusion" type concepts but that's usually because they are novices who should be focusing less on that and more on directed adaptation.

rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    periodization for hypertrophy

I did it for six months with a Doctor Mike whatshisname program and saw not one physical change from my regular programming, expect that the volume was ridiculously high.

After reading up on it and trying it personally,I see no need for it, unless you are an advanced lifter. It certainly does not seem to help a beginner or novice lifter whatsoever.
    Ron

Current: Height:5'9 Weight: 169 lbs - Height:5'9 - BF:16%
    Goal:___Height:5'9 Weight: 170 lbs - Height:5'9 - BF:16%
    Dream:_Height:5'9 Weight: 180 lbs - Height:5'9 - BF:14%

So basically there is just enough to add weight, reps and sets over time when you are able too, with an well balanced program.

Thats enough for someone like me who are trying to gain as much muscles as possible?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It would be nice to be given a simple answer - just do this or that and everything will work out. However, you should stay vigilant and watch out for stagnation and a drop off in your own efforts (it's human nature to take the line of least resistance in the long term). This is why novice routines work well for novices - they are obliged to add weight to the bar even on days they don't feel like it...

my non-edited 'before'pic etet1919's Avatar
    etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Smile

During the 15 years I've been consistently bodybuilding/weightlifting, I've always relied on an "Intuitive" approach to how much volume I could handle, on any given day, week or time in my life. I've done this by focusing on progressively building strength in all individual body parts (a bodybuilder mindset?), sometimes twice a week, sometimes once a week...depending on everyday factors. My hopes were that the cumulative results would be maximal strength combined with sculpted muscular development (as a female, it's much harder to gain "visible" muscle) and increased physical stamina (cardio, major contributor) through mainly jumping rope (it's hard to stick to cardio you absolutely detest!) I set my mind to that overall fitness goal and I achieved it (I'm trying to be objective about myself). So, inho, not "overthinking" program protocols, whether effective or "not," helped me to achieve overall satisfactory results while allowing me to use creativity, in order to stay challenged, focused and INTERESTED. When you have a passion for something, the motivation is just there....Of course I've used structured splits, like anyone else. But to overthink all this can sometimes kill your power, your confidence...JMHO.

Any good and simple periodization types for hypertrophy?

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There are long fancy explanations talking about manipulating variables and different cycle lengths etc, but let's just keep it very simplified for now.

So I'll say... Periodization is when you break your training into different periods, for example 4 week period of focussing more on volume followed by 4 weeks strength (or whatever, there are various variables and this is just one example)

This contrasts with simpler schemes where you essentially do the same kind of stuff week to week - and gradually increase the weight (or reps) to drive progress.

So which is more effective? There isn't universal agreement, but the consensus is roughly what's described in https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Pro.../dp/B00IU8YETW, is that different approaches work better at different times as a trainees progresses. Novice trainees make fastest progress with simple linear progression and Elite athletes struggle to progress without using complex periodization. Intermediates fall in between the two, early intermediate may not need periodization but late intermediate definitely do.

It's a sliding scale so not a yes/no answer, but keeping your eye on the principal of progressive overload will keep you pointing in the right direction

Any good and simple periodization types for hypertrophy?
    The volume ramp is about the only real option. At least it ensure you spend some of the time approaching your maximum ability to do work. As the poster above mentioned, it doesn't do anything special for everyone.

etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Could periodization results work differently for females vs. males? I know that anatomically we're the same (consistent weightlifting= greater strength and muscle development), but being that men have completely different hormone levels, would that account for me not really "needing" to use "typical" or formal periodization tactics after long term bodybuilding? Again, I know everyone is different in terms of results and opinions.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    The volume ramp is about the only real option. At least it ensure you spend some of the time approaching your maximum ability to do work. As the poster above mentioned, it doesn't do anything special for everyone.
    Any place i can read about this method?

How important is progressive overload for hypetrophy? seeing that new studies shows that you can create muscle growth as long as you are lifting some where between 4 reps and 1 rep away from concentric muscular failure.

Whats the most important factor for someone aiming towards hypertrohy goals, is it total volume?

Mike Israetel.

Progressive overload is critical for the longer term (i.e. longer than most studies last). Without an increasingly challenging stimulus, you will invariably plateau. This doesn't have to mean increasing weight, it can also mean increasing reps or sets too.

I know you want to simplify things OP but as I've already tried to warn you - you will have to adapt to overcome stagnation.

You need at least 2 out of these 3 things:
    1. Intensity (weight as a % of 1RM)
    2. Exertion (getting close to failure)
    3. Volume (number of sets or total 'effective' reps)

Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    https://renaissanceperiodization.com...muscle-growth/

I am currently trying out an RP template myself, and it's too early for me to review the results (around 2 months in), but I have gained a little bit of size and certainly some strength in the higher rep ranges so far.

I do think, however, that in the best case scenario the volume ramp-up within a mesocycle can be a good strategy for intermediate to advanced lifters, but not a necessity by any means (as opposed to increasing volume over your whole training career, which does need to happen).
    "Listen, I want you to come down here and go dancing with me and we'll have fun together. You know you like The Spaniard, you know you like The Sith Lord, you know that. Hello? You're blushing, I know you're into The Sith Lord, I know it! Hello? Hello? Helloooo? Aww I lost connection."

Smile

I AM taking notes...

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Mike Israetel.

Progressive overload is critical for the longer term (i.e. longer than most studies last). Without an increasingly challenging stimulus, you will invariably plateau. This doesn't have to mean increasing weight, it can also mean increasing reps or sets too.

I know you want to simplify things OP but as I've already tried to warn you - you will have to adapt to overcome stagnation.

You need at least 2 out of these 3 things:
    1. Intensity (weight as a % of 1RM)
    2. Exertion (getting close to failure)
    3. Volume (number of sets or total 'effective' reps)
    So basiclly as long as i follow a well balanced routine/split and make sure that over time that i do more in terms off weight, reps or sets, while being in a calories surplus i would be on good way?

And when it comes to training for strength, is it just about the rep you are training in that makes it different? like training closer to your 1RM is better for strength then training at like 8RM

And when it comes to training for strength, is it just about the rep you are training in that makes it different? like training closer to your 1RM is better for strength then training at like 8RM
    Not every measure of strength is a 1RM - it would be if you were a powerlifter but there are other events (like some strongman events) where you are training to achieve reps with a weight - the SAID principle