Registered User brittanymiller1's Avatar
    brittanymiller1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb Going back to the gym after long slump

Hi! Hope everyone is doing fantastic!

I have been out of the gym life for around 1.5-2 years. I had a major promotion (good) but it was such a disruption in my life, and I let it throw my life into an imbalance for a while while I went through a major change management.(not ideal) Thankfully, I made it through and life is back in balance and I feel I'm in a place where I can focus on myself again and I wanna go back to that lifestyle but I have lost SO many gains that took a few years to achieve that it's hard not to feel that familiar 'you're so far from your goals' voices in my head. I was very lean, low body fat percentage, healthy and lots of energy. Since, I've gone up a pant size, traded in muscle mass for fat and generally feel 'out of shape.' I even feel like the gym was a club that I used to be comfortable in that i'm no longer a part of and not welcome in. A dumb thought, especially as I type it, but it's there just the same.

Has anyone else experienced this long of a fitness break and if so, how did you get back in it? What was your experience? Ultimately the answer is to just DO IT. Wondering if anyone else has been there, would love to hear about it.

-Britt

my non-edited 'before'pic etet1919's Avatar
    etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Smile

Originally Posted by brittanymiller1 View Post
    Hi! Hope everyone is doing fantastic!

I have been out of the gym life for around 1.5-2 years. I had a major promotion (good) but it was such a disruption in my life, and I let it throw my life into an imbalance for a while while I went through a major change management.(not ideal) Thankfully, I made it through and life is back in balance and I feel I'm in a place where I can focus on myself again and I wanna go back to that lifestyle but I have lost SO many gains that took a few years to achieve that it's hard not to feel that familiar 'you're so far from your goals' voices in my head. I was very lean, low body fat percentage, healthy and lots of energy. Since, I've gone up a pant size, traded in muscle mass for fat and generally feel 'out of shape.' I even feel like the gym was a club that I used to be comfortable in that i'm no longer a part of and not welcome in. A dumb thought, especially as I type it, but it's there just the same.

Has anyone else experienced this long of a fitness break and if so, how did you get back in it? What was your experience? Ultimately the answer is to just DO IT. Wondering if anyone else has been there, would love to hear about it.

-Britt
    Hi Brittany! I don't know if this is any consolation, but I haven't been training regularly since the beginning of October. By regularly, I mean 4-5 days a week for 1-2 hrs. per day, on average. My mind and body had become used to that kind of training, so when mental distraction and lack of sleep took over a couple of months ago, I FELT like I hadn't been in the gym for 2 years! I know-this is a very difficult lifestyle to lead; I'm not sure if it's harder for competitors or mere mortals like ourselves....lol....I'm glad to hear you got a promotion but sorry to hear it caused enough disruption to keep you away from a place that you once felt comfortable in. But why do you feel "unwelcome" in the gym because you went up one size?? It's not a dumb thought at all, I'm just curious as to why your so critical of yourself (I really shouldn't talk). Maybe we're perfectionists, I don't know? I'm going to listen to you though, and just go back to the gym tomorrow, as long as I am well-rested enough. To be honest, being on social media (I'm new to it, believe it or not) has almost completely altered my sleep patterns (sleep deprived, not insomnia) these last 2 months and I accidently set myself back. Not too much, if I could just sleep again...But tomorrow's a new day, right?

Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Samson2236 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just recently experienced this myself. Life got ahead of me with work and family and I let myself go.

So I went back to the gym and realized I had lost a lot of self confidence when I seen all the bigger guys in the gym when I used to be one of the biggest. Couple of times I even left and never started my workout. It is very silly but I understand the feeling. It just creeps it’s way into your head.

I’ve now been going steady for 2 months and believe me that muscle memory is the greatest thing it all comes back fast! Just stick it out even when it’s tough and set small goals.

Two weeks in of training and good nutrition and I guarantee the motivation will come back!

Good luck on your journey!

etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Smile

Originally Posted by Samson2236 View Post
    I just recently experienced this myself. Life got ahead of me with work and family and I let myself go.

So I went back to the gym and realized I had lost a lot of self confidence when I seen all the bigger guys in the gym when I used to be one of the biggest. Couple of times I even left and never started my workout. It is very silly but I understand the feeling. It just creeps it’s way into your head.

I’ve now been going steady for 2 months and believe me that muscle memory is the greatest thing it all comes back fast! Just stick it out even when it’s tough and set small goals.

Two weeks in of training and good nutrition and I guarantee the motivation will come back!

Now I know I really do have an issue with sleep disturbance. I went to sleep pretty early ,woke up at 1:10 am, have been up all these hours, restless and wired, and it's currently 4:23 am. I know it has everything to do with being newly exposed to too much "light" from all this technology we become addicted to very easily. This going to take me time to "unlearn" this new habit, or at least curb it, especially at night. I already have "high" cortisol levels at night- I don't need any more "stimulus." But looking or feeling like crap, I'm still going to the gym today. It's been two weeks since my last leg workout- I don't want chicken legs...lol...I'll most likely have to do upper body today.

I admit my self-confidence has taken a toll recently- I sustained a tendon injury in my hip flexor that set my recent gains back. I know-common occurrence. Still, frustrating as hell...I get that too. I hope you're right and that two weeks from now I'll catch on some much needed peaceful sleep. If tonight is any indication, then I guess I'll just have my work cut out for me!Thanks, I really appreciate the encouragement. Sometimes it's hard to come by...thanks again! And hello, Mr. Sandman...

Originally Posted by etet1919 View Post
    Hi Brittany! I don't know if this is any consolation, but I haven't been training regularly since the beginning of October. By regularly, I mean 4-5 days a week for 1-2 hrs. per day, on average. My mind and body had become used to that kind of training, so when mental distraction and lack of sleep took over a couple of months ago, I FELT like I hadn't been in the gym for 2 years! I know-this is a very difficult lifestyle to lead; I'm not sure if it's harder for competitors or mere mortals like ourselves....lol....I'm glad to hear you got a promotion but sorry to hear it caused enough disruption to keep you away from a place that you once felt comfortable in. But why do you feel "unwelcome" in the gym because you went up one size?? It's not a dumb thought at all, I'm just curious as to why your so critical of yourself (I really shouldn't talk). Maybe we're perfectionists, I don't know? I'm going to listen to you though, and just go back to the gym tomorrow, as long as I am well-rested enough. To be honest, being on social media (I'm new to it, believe it or not) has almost completely altered my sleep patterns (sleep deprived, not insomnia) these last 2 months and I accidently set myself back. Not too much, if I could just sleep again...But tomorrow's a new day, right?
    your regular training sounds like mine was as well- 4-6 days a week 1-1.5 hrs a day mostly lifting and lean eating. I hope you resolve your sleep troubles, i'm sorry to hear about them! I've been trying to read a book before bed every night bc my tendency is to browse instagram which is so bad for you as you said.

It IS a good question to ask myself why i am so critical of myself in the physical space. I think a part of it is just the human condition, an unhealthy all-or-nothing perfectionist attitude and, I'm sure, some deeply rooted false belief rolling around in there somewhere. I'm glad you reminded me of that, it'd be beneficial to do some soul searching while also trying to get back in the gym. I actually managed to go last night and felt proud that I did! Energy creates Energy is what i'm trying to remind myself of. I hope you make it to your gym today- I was glad I did and plan to do it again after work.

-Britt

Originally Posted by Samson2236 View Post

I relate so much to your experience- that's how I feel with the women there- so toned and a size I used to be and i admire them working so hard and looking great. I used to have that momentum and felt amazing. It's hard not to feel like an outsider. It's a head game like you said and not something to derail you but it's there, vulnerable to admit as it is.

I'm so glad you got back in there and you've really inspired me. I actually went back last night and saw the gym crowd has really changed now and there were alot of people of different styles and progress, I didn't feel so left out. I just felt like one of the crowd and did my workout then left feeling accomplished. Going back today, gonna get back in there!

Thanks for the motivation! It really resonated! Good luck to you too!

-Britt

Originally Posted by brittanymiller1 View Post
    your regular training sounds like mine was as well- 4-6 days a week 1-1.5 hrs a day mostly lifting and lean eating. I hope you resolve your sleep troubles, i'm sorry to hear about them! I've been trying to read a book before bed every night bc my tendency is to browse instagram which is so bad for you as you said.

It IS a good question to ask myself why i am so critical of myself in the physical space. I think a part of it is just the human condition, an unhealthy all-or-nothing perfectionist attitude and, I'm sure, some deeply rooted false belief rolling around in there somewhere. I'm glad you reminded me of that, it'd be beneficial to do some soul searching while also trying to get back in the gym. I actually managed to go last night and felt proud that I did! Energy creates Energy is what i'm trying to remind myself of. I hope you make it to your gym today- I was glad I did and plan to do it again after work.

-Britt
    Sorry, Brittany, I didn't mean to say you were critical of yourself- I can't say that because I don't know you! I completely agree with your statement that it's human nature for us to be self-critical, and that sometimes we learn this at an early age.

I used to read a lot; that's a much better substitute for escape, entertainment, learning, etc. especially at night. But I have to admit there really is useful and interesting information on this site (and links to others). Many of the posts have offered a view point I hadn't thought of and many of them are just so hysterical (in a harmless way). There seems to be some good eggs on here.

Unfortunately, I did not get to the gym tonight, due to a pathetic lack of sleep. I had every intention of going, but between feeling sick and dealing with other issues, I decided to take someone's advice and not train while too" fatigued." The good thing is I never give up- so that means tomorrow....Have you ever had issues with sleep? I've also have family members that deal or have dealt with insomnia (genetic predisposition?). I know, in our crazy society it's pretty common.

priceemily is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    that's really motivating,always thinking the best reason to insist on doing sth is passion.I like running,but still find very hard to persist.
    But during the past half year,I insist to walking half hours each day.Sitting in the office for all the day around,with the same gesture,this is really uncomfortable.
    And this is definitely the most common unhealthy way in today's lifestyle.I will keep going on,I really wondering how did those people who make it,squeeze their time to work out everyday,especially their work load is heavy.