Registered User josephgriffiths's Avatar
    josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10) josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10) josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10) josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10) josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10) josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10) josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10) josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10) josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10) josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10) josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Fierce 5 Progression Question

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked, but I can't find the answer by searching the forums. I'm going to give the Fierce 5 Novice program a go as I've been lifting for ages and made stuff all progress. And it sounds like the Fierce 5 is a good routine. However, I've noticed that it while the exercises themselves are really important the WAY in which you apply the progression appears to be equally important.

So when it says to drop the weight by 15% if you fail to lift twice, does it mean:

a) Drop by 15% and then work you way back up over the course of 4 weeks (or whatever it ends up being) by adding 5lb per week until your back at the weight which you previously failed at
    OR
    b)Drop the weight by 15% for a single workout then give the previously failed weight another crack?

Scenario A (Is it this?)
    Bench
    Week 1 - 120lb (failed)
    Week 2 - 100lb (reset)
    Week 3 - 105lb
    Week 4 - 110lb
    Week 5 - 115lb
    Week 6 - 120lb (Finally back at the weight you failed at)
    Week 7 - 125lb

OR
    Scenario B
    Week 1 - 120lb (failed)
    Week 2 - 100lb (reset)
    Week 3 - 120lb (Go back to weight you failed at)
    Week 4 - 125lb

It seems like a long time to slowly go through the weights again, or would you maybe increase it 5lb-10lb each workout until you're back at the weight you failed at?

I.e. Surely you can progress MUCH faster after resetting to get back to the failed weight and hopefully then push through and keep progressing?

I feel like this is an important point that I haven't managed to find the answer to. Maybe I'm missing something in the original post?

Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The first one. The idea is to keep working somewhere between 85% and 100% of your max effort. So once you reach 100%, you go down 85% and start working back up again. Your max will still be rising while you are down at the lower end of that, but at a slower pace than your progression, so you will eventually catch up to it and have to reset again, and again, and again.

The one time reduction is more of a deload than a reset.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by josephgriffiths View Post
    Hi all,

I'm sure this has been asked, but I can't find the answer by searching the forums. I'm going to give the Fierce 5 Novice program a go as I've been lifting for ages and made stuff all progress. And it sounds like the Fierce 5 is a good routine. However, I've noticed that it while the exercises themselves are really important the WAY in which you apply the progression appears to be equally important.

So when it says to drop the weight by 15% if you fail to lift twice, does it mean:

a) Drop by 15% and then work you way back up over the course of 4 weeks (or whatever it ends up being) by adding 5lb per week until your back at the weight which you previously failed at
    OR
    b)Drop the weight by 15% for a single workout then give the previously failed weight another crack?

Scenario A (Is it this?)
    Bench
    Week 1 - 120lb (failed)
    Week 2 - 100lb (reset)
    Week 3 - 105lb
    Week 4 - 110lb
    Week 5 - 115lb
    Week 7 - 125lb

OR
    Scenario B
    Week 1 - 120lb (failed) not quite, 2 fails an reset
    Week 2 - 100lb (reset)
    Week 4 - 125lb

It seems like a long time to slowly go through the weights again, or would you maybe increase it 5lb-10lb each workout this is exactly what not to dountil you're back at the weight you failed at?

I.e. Surely you can progress MUCH faster after resetting to get back to the failed weight and hopefully then push through and keep progressing? build back up right with better technique and you shoulnt need hope

I feel like this is an important point that I haven't managed to find the answer to. Maybe I'm missing something in the original post?
    This
    2018 Log
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175232661

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Eddie Hall Wannabee

TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi all,

OR

Scenario A (Is it this?)
    Bench
    Week 1 - 120lb (failed)
    Week 2 - 100lb (reset)
    Week 3 - 105lb
    Week 4 - 110lb
    Week 5 - 115lb
    Week 7 - 125lb

OR
    Scenario B
    Week 1 - 120lb (failed)
    Week 2 - 100lb (reset)
    Week 4 - 125lb

It seems like a long time to slowly go through the weights again, or would you maybe increase it 5lb-10lb each workout until you're back at the weight you failed at?

I.e. Surely you can progress MUCH faster after resetting to get back to the failed weight and hopefully then push through and keep progressing?

Scenario A

Personally I think it’s annoying but gonna help you in the long run. In fact i’m benching 160 again
    And If I fail I have to reset. Which I really don’t want to do
    So I hope I get it this week

Otherwise i go way back to 135 and have to get through 5 miserable weeks just to do it again.

josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10) josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10) josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10) josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10) josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10) josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10) josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10) josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10) josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10) josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10) josephgriffiths is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the responses. I've been working out for an embarrassingly long time and are still well and truely a novice according to most measures I've read.

It seems as though as a novice your body responds more to the progression as opposed to lifting as close to you limit as possible, so from that point of view this makes sense. Perhaps the mistake you can make is to think that building muscle is about killing yourself in the gym, but it's probably more about the continual upward change, or in the case of the F5 the zig-zag . And always making your body think it's progressing.

Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You can’t go balls to the wall all the time. The nice thing about a good progression scheme is it will push you to move forward but it will also make you back off to facilitate longer term progress when you might want to just keep plowing ahead.

Not intentionally bumping my thread. But just had another thought regarding F5 progression.

The "rules" of progression state that you up you weights by xxlbs each week. Well on some weeks you do the same exercise twice, so would it be reasonable to say up the reps by 1x on the 2nd session of that week?

So instead of this: (Take bench for example)

Week 1 - Mon - 100lb (5, 5, 5)
    Fri - 100lb (5, 5, 5)
    Week 2 - Wed - 105lb (5, 5, 5)

Is it worth doing this??
    Fri - 100lb (6, 6, 6)

So not increasing the overall rate, but just sneaking in a little progression between sessions?

I realise this a relative minor, and getting within the 20% range of the 80/20 rule, but just keen to hear anyone thoughts.

TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000) TLWeight is just really nice. (+1000)
    Not intentionally bumping my thread. But just had another thought regarding F5 progression.

The "rules" of progression state that you up you weights by xxlbs each week. Well on some weeks you do the same exercise twice, so would it be reasonable to say up the reps by 1x on the 2nd session of that week?

So instead of this: (Take bench for example)

Fri - 100lb (5, 5, 5)

Is it worth doing this??
    Fri - 100lb (6, 6, 6)

So not increasing the overall rate, but just sneaking in a little progression between sessions?

I realise this a relative minor, and getting within the 20% range of the 80/20 rule, but just keen to hear anyone thoughts.
    Will you just run the stinking program as written it’s not hard

DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TLWeight View Post
    This is the best advice anyone’s gonna give you. Lol

I’m doing F5 right now too, and I understand the urge to change things around.

But in reality the guy who made it (DavisJ#s) knows MUCH more than you and I do.
    In addition to that, it’s been tried and tested by many people with good results.

So stick to it as it’s set forth. Read the F5 threads to see acceptable changes.

Originally Posted by TLWeight View Post
    Fair enough!! Will do!

End of thread. haha