Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Hypertrophy Drivers - Volume, metabolic stress, and Occlusion Training

Volume is supposedly one of the best, if not the best, driver for hypertrophy. If this is true, then why does BFR (blood-flow restricted) training produce as much hypertrophy as heavy-load training?

xbodyconcepts (DOT) com/blood-flow-restriction-training
    by Brad Schoenfeld, PhD(c) T-Nation

It seems to me that if you use BFR you are reducing volume by a significant amount, but still producing as much hypertrophy. The article even states that the mechanics behind BFR hypertrophy aren't clear, and that metabolic stress is probably the main contributor. It also seems clear that metabolic stress is probably more important than volume as a driver since the studies about BFR hold true. Maybe the "pump" is more important to hypertrophy than some nay sayers speculate.

What do you guys think?

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There are two forms of hypertrophy. Metabolic stress likely plays a big part in sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. This is nothing more than increasing muscle size primarily in fluid holding capacity (glycogen and water) and is easy come easy go. Myofribular (sp?) hypertrophy is actual increase in structural factions of muscle which is best accomplished by progressive overload. Maximum size is going to be gained by increasing both, but it takes a lot longer to accomplish myofribular hypertrophy. I think of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy as a fast mile time, it can be gained and reduced pretty quickly. The physiological changes from myofribular take longer and are somewhat permanent even though peak strength would diminish after awhile if reduced stimuli, the changes in the cells (multinucleated) would remain.
    That’s the best I can explain / remember it anyway.

Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mistersmiles1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Plateauplower View Post
    There are two forms of hypertrophy. Metabolic stress likely plays a big part in sarcoplasmic hypertrophy. This is nothing more than increasing muscle size primarily in fluid holding capacity (glycogen and water) and is easy come easy go. Myofribular (sp?) hypertrophy is actual increase in structural factions of muscle which is best accomplished by progressive overload. Maximum size is going to be gained by increasing both, but it takes a lot longer to accomplish myofribular hypertrophy. I think of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy as a fast mile time, it can be gained and reduced pretty quickly. The physiological changes from myofribular take longer and are somewhat permanent even though peak strength would diminish after awhile if reduced stimuli, the changes in the cells (multinucleated) would remain.
    That’s the best I can explain / remember it anyway.
    Interesting... +rep

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Who uses blood flow restriction as a major component of their training?

my non-edited 'before'pic etet1919's Avatar
    etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    Maybe Vampirelol
    Last edited by etet1919; 12-02-2018 at 06:22 AM.
    Fact: My first-generation uncle was a boxer who fought Sugar Ray Robinson! He also fought in the war, sacrificing the career he deeply loved, so people could have the right to freedom.

Let's show RESPECT for the POLICE and ALL FIRST RESPONDERS by helping to keep THEM SAFE AND SOUND, and thereby able to PROTECT US!

Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Mike Israetel, Eric Helms, Layne Norton and others have discussed this.

Adding some BFR sets can beneficial because you’re building up metabolites in the muscle which can signal muscle growth of not only slow twitch fibres, but also of fast twitch fibres due to the lack of oxygen.

and it allows you to train with lighter loads when injured or feeling beat up.

There’s even been studies on occlusion methods being used on bed-ridden patients to mitigate muscle loss.

You don’t want to use it on every exercise, but isolation movements are pretty good for it and I’ve seen some people use it on super light squats when working around something like a groin injury.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    Nobody should. It’s not really meant for that though. I’ve used BFR a few times for doing isolation arm work while having elbow tendinitis. It seems to have diminishing returns quickly to me, but the first few times it resulted in an insane pump and made me sore using light weights in the 15 rep range. Quick release tourniquets work well for arms. I know people have used knee wraps for doing isolation leg stuff (need stronger ligature), but that sounds more risky to me, embolism potential and whatnot.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Mistersmiles1 View Post
    Volume is supposedly one of the best, if not the best, driver for hypertrophy. If this is true, then why does BFR (blood-flow restricted) training produce as much hypertrophy as heavy-load training?

xbodyconcepts (DOT) com/blood-flow-restriction-training
    by Brad Schoenfeld, PhD(c) T-Nation

It seems to me that if you use BFR you are reducing volume by a significant amount, but still producing as much hypertrophy. The article even states that the mechanics behind BFR hypertrophy aren't clear, and that metabolic stress is probably the main contributor. It also seems clear that metabolic stress is probably more important than volume as a driver since the studies about BFR hold true. Maybe the "pump" is more important to hypertrophy than some nay sayers speculate.

What do you guys think?
    The "best" driver for hypertrophy is progression. Everything else is, at best, secondary.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There is a detailed discussion of this (probably too detailed!) in an episode of barbell shrugged, let me see if I can find it, and edit this reply too add a link...

As an asside, oxidative stress (free radical oxygen) may be a contributor in BFR gains, although not mentioned in the barbell shrugged, and while definitely not contradicting a healthy diet, mega-dosing on antioxidants (A C E etc) might actually be detrimental to muscle growth, health and mortality according to evidence based research. But whether this relates to the above topic is a bit tenuous

BFR might be an exotic tool in the toolbox, but let's not get overexcited and send all the squat racks to the scrapyard just yet. I'm still not convinced it's a big priority unless you're an astronaut

Edit: mentioned here https://youtu.be/4bWc36cWnGU but not as much detail as I thought... Still think it's a fad, but worth understanding though
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 12-03-2018 at 12:07 PM.