Gundlach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How did you get your job after being certified in personal training?

I'm soon to complete my personal training certification in which I'm going to begin applying to some big box gyms and country clubs. What advice can you give someone applying for a trainer position who has no prior experience in this field? I'm assuming worst case scenario that I work my way in doing a different position within a gym just to get my foot in the door. I'm also a college with a passion for health and fitness (weight training specifically) looking to do this part-time. Any tips are appreciated!

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    What I did was to highlight related experiences. I'd been in hospitality so knew about customer service (personal) and also the army so I'd taught people things (training).

You're just 20yo, so you've not had a lot of chances to do other stuff, nonetheless there's bound to be something. Maybe you tutored? Worked at the clothes shop? Maybe had an aunt with dementia you had to help care for? Anything involving dealing with people and teaching them things, either will do, both is a bonus.

Gyms, like many employers, understand that everyone has to start somewhere. So they look primarily for attitude and people skills. At my old community gym, while only 40% of people who went into the gym with no instruction were still members 12 months later, those who did the introductory appointments - it was 80%. Yet 2/3 of people never do the programmes we show them through. So the programming isn't keeping them, it's knowing someone in the gym; that hour or so you spend with them is mostly just talking sht to make them feel comfortable.

Most people are pretty apprehensive about it all. The reasons people give for leaving a gym are: (un)friendliness of staff, cleanliness of the facilities, and overcrowding. You as a gym instructor can control the first two, and those don't require great trainer skills, but simply a decision to wander around talking to people and dusting treadmills and stuff. Care and clean.

So at the interview they're looking first for attitude. Do you care and will you clean?

If you care and clean, and talk to at least one new person every day, and teach one new person some movement, then you'll get the skills you need in a couple of years.

Gundlach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    What I did was to highlight related experiences. I'd been in hospitality so knew about customer service (personal) and also the army so I'd taught people things (training).

You're just 20yo, so you've not had a lot of chances to do other stuff, nonetheless there's bound to be something. Maybe you tutored? Worked at the clothes shop? Maybe had an aunt with dementia you had to help care for? Anything involving dealing with people and teaching them things, either will do, both is a bonus.

Gyms, like many employers, understand that everyone has to start somewhere. So they look primarily for attitude and people skills. At my old community gym, while only 40% of people who went into the gym with no instruction were still members 12 months later, those who did the introductory appointments - it was 80%. Yet 2/3 of people never do the programmes we show them through. So the programming isn't keeping them, it's knowing someone in the gym; that hour or so you spend with them is mostly just talking sht to make them feel comfortable.

Most people are pretty apprehensive about it all. The reasons people give for leaving a gym are: (un)friendliness of staff, cleanliness of the facilities, and overcrowding. You as a gym instructor can control the first two, and those don't require great trainer skills, but simply a decision to wander around talking to people and dusting treadmills and stuff. Care and clean.

So at the interview they're looking first for attitude. Do you care and will you clean?

If you care and clean, and talk to at least one new person every day, and teach one new person some movement, then you'll get the skills you need in a couple of years.
    Good advice, thanks!

EveryBodyspt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    did some google searches for gyms

KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    That's finding possible vacancies, that's not getting a job. There's a lot in between, which is what the OP was asking about.

EveryBodyspt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    contact local chains

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Gundlach View Post
    I'm soon to complete my personal training certification in which I'm going to begin applying to some big box gyms and country clubs. What advice can you give someone applying for a trainer position who has no prior experience in this field? I'm assuming worst case scenario that I work my way in doing a different position within a gym just to get my foot in the door. I'm also a college with a passion for health and fitness (weight training specifically) looking to do this part-time. Any tips are appreciated!
    Big box job opportunities are all entry level. Meaning, they expect many applicants to possess very little (if any) personal training experience.

It is the difference between applying for a job at McDonald's versus a famous, family owned steak house.

Big box gyms will have opportunities that correlate with your expertise, as they do for those with more expertise. Going there with no experience allows you some leeway in terms of addressing certain interview questions in an elementary fashion.

In other words... don't worry.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

Strengthnorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strengthnorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strengthnorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strengthnorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strengthnorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strengthnorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strengthnorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strengthnorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strengthnorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strengthnorge is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strengthnorge is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Gundlach View Post
    I own a gym, and have two employees: Strength.no (just so you know I am not full of **** here)

Big Box Gyms are pretty easy to get into, the rate of PT turnover in the industry is high AF, and they are almost always looking for new trainers. My gym is small, and revolves around small group training. Think Crossfit with actual proper programing, and proper technique.

1. CARE ABOUT PEOPLE: Sell your mentality as caring about your clients, desiring their success. No one cares if you love fitness, all trainers do. Business want Trainers that care, and show it.
    2. Be excited to learn and be a part of the gym community.
    3. Understand your entry position (seems like you are on point here), let them know it by acknowledging your starting position, and let them know your goals in their facility (be the best god damn trainer they have, and deliver the best results to your clients. Make the gym look good through the success of your clients).
    4. Willing to take on extra responsibility (as long as you are compensated). You can work the desk, clean...etc. Demonstrate that you will go the extra mile.

Need any clarifications, hit me back.

That's good advice.