Registered User Yeetusthyfeetus's Avatar
    Yeetusthyfeetus is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Big Difference Between Severe Deficit And Small Deficit?

Im gonna start another short cut tomorrow. I don’t plan on dropping more than 8 pounds.

If I were to want to drop 8 pounds, at 2 pounds a week it’d take only a month. But, if I were to do 1lb a week it’d take 2 months.

I’m not very muscular, but I’m decently lean. I don’t really have a reliable way to determine bf % as all I have are calipers and the handheld machine. Which usually put me at 11-13%. I am almost certain that I am less than 15%.

I want to try to get my last two abs showing, or at least make my top 4 more visible, then go back to my bulk as soon as possible.

During the cut I will almost certainly be receiving at least 150g of protein, and I’ll be eating at 1500 cals. I’m a small guy, 5’7. I’ll also be continuing my training as usual.

So, I was wondering that if I were to be on a more severe cut, (1000 cals) would it have a significant impact on my muscle mass compared to a smaller deficit (500 cals)?

Asumming I keep my protein intake high, and my workouts frequent should I not have to worry too much about the severity of my deficit?

Subscribe to my YouTube! getbigordie18's Avatar
    getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Slow dieting vs quick cut for fast results

Originally Posted by Yeetusthyfeetus View Post
    Im gonna start another short cut tomorrow. I don’t plan on dropping more than 8 pounds.

If I were to want to drop 8 pounds, at 2 pounds a week it’d take only a month. But, if I were to do 1lb a week it’d take 2 months.

I’m not very muscular, but I’m decently lean. I don’t really have a reliable way to determine bf % as all I have are calipers and the handheld machine. Which usually put me at 11-13%. I am almost certain that I am less than 15%.

I want to try to get my last two abs showing, or at least make my top 4 more visible, then go back to my bulk as soon as possible.

During the cut I will almost certainly be receiving at least 150g of protein, and I’ll be eating at 1500 cals. I’m a small guy, 5’7. I’ll also be continuing my training as usual.

So, I was wondering that if I were to be on a more severe cut, (1000 cals) would it have a significant impact on my muscle mass compared to a smaller deficit (500 cals)?

Asumming I keep my protein intake high, and my workouts frequent should I not have to worry too much about the severity of my deficit?
    I would recommend a goal of losing over 2 months 1 pound of bodyweight per week. Focus on a good workout routine and with the nutrition I keep protein on the higher end for the sake of satiation to keep me from eating too much so I am 205 pounds rn and I eat 225 grams of protein on a cut I bump it up to 240 even as high as 275 grams of protein per day. I don't think it can help you build any excess muscle. I do this for the sake of tissue maintenance and most importantly to keep me from my extreme appetite I get on a cut.You could even bump up calories if you increase training volume or add in cardio. There are many changes you could make. For the sake of simplicity, do a slow cut 300 calorie deficit+increase cardio/training volume(energy expenditure) or do a 500-600 calorie deficit per day.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94fe6xvYbVY
    Follow my Powerlifting and Bodybuilding Journey on Instagram derock5996
    Eat clean and train hard and keep it natural!
    -USAPL Powerlifter in the 93KG weight class

ashstaley is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Smaller deficit over a longer period of time. You won't be wearing yourself down, you'll find it easier and honestly an extra month is seriously nothing, it'll fly by! Always do things safely, a 1k calorie deficit is a bit much in my honest opinion. Increase your workout frequency and do a smaller cut of 300 or so. getbigordie18's recommendation of 1 pound per week is good.

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hope98 View Post
    I'm new member here and i give you some experience about training and lost my weight. When i start i have 100kg and now I have only 80kg. I start working on me.
    Great...... However you have put this up 4 times for 4 different threads yet no advice. Please stop spamming its annoying.

KMShep is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KMShep is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KMShep is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KMShep is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KMShep is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KMShep is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KMShep is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KMShep is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KMShep is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KMShep is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KMShep is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It’s a cut, you should do it as fast as you can bc it’s also cutting at your muscle.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I prefer slower - you might gain some muscle at the same time in a mild deficit - whereas a large deficit can tip you over into muscle atrophy.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by KMShep View Post
    It’s a cut, you should do it as fast as you can bc it’s also cutting at your muscle.
    No. Do not "cut as fast as you can". THAT is how you lose muscle in a cut. A reasonable cut (not fast), with adequate protein and continuing to lift is the BEST way to cut while losing minimal muscle.

RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RedRusty has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by KMShep View Post

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Yeetusthyfeetus View Post

I

I’m not very muscular, but I’m decently lean.

Cut to reveal abs then start bulking and lose 'em. Makes sense. Post a pic there's a good chance you shouldn't keep cutting.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) critterbug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Not actually Tyrone lmao TyroneFranchize's Avatar
    TyroneFranchize is not very well liked. (-100) TyroneFranchize is not very well liked. (-100) TyroneFranchize is not very well liked. (-100) TyroneFranchize is not very well liked. (-100) TyroneFranchize is not very well liked. (-100) TyroneFranchize is not very well liked. (-100) TyroneFranchize is not very well liked. (-100) TyroneFranchize is not very well liked. (-100) TyroneFranchize is not very well liked. (-100) TyroneFranchize is not very well liked. (-100) TyroneFranchize is not very well liked. (-100)
    there's almost no difference. As long as you get enough protein and lift heavy, u can lose 2 lbs a week and see improvements. I've been anywhere from 800-1100 caloric deficit throughout this whole cut and I'm fine. You lose 1 lb of lbm for every 5 lbs dropped so dont listen to anyone that says smaller caloric deficits maintain ur lbm bc that's impossible as lbm is not only made of muscle mass but also vessel size, water weight, etc...
    Gym PR's @220
    425/335/515

Currently @165
    390/290/495

Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    A lot of deficit size will be dictated by height\weight stats, degree of leanness, etc. 2 lbs a week may be fine for a bigger person and sometimes even more is ok for someone obese. Smaller people will have to run a smaller deficit which means fatloss will be slower, so "big" deficit becomes relative.

A good starting rule of thumb for people with lower to moderate body fat is the deficit should be no more than 30 calories for every pound of fat you carry.
    20 lbs of fat? 600 calorie deficit. This is based on the amount of energy that can be excreted from stored fat on a daily basis. It allows for an equation to follow as you lean out. Anecdotally, it works really well. There will be exceptions however it gives you an idea of how much to lower your deficit as you lean out. You also need to figure your maintenance drops as you lean out so figure that too. Maintenance drops about 100 cals a day for every 10 lbs lost.

Understand that when discussing daily calories the number will be an average of a 7 day intake. 5 days of say 1800 calories and 2 days of 2800 calories is not an 1800 calorie daily intake
    Last edited by Tommy W.; 11-17-2018 at 11:14 AM.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

samfit7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) samfit7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) samfit7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) samfit7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) samfit7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) samfit7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) samfit7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) samfit7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) samfit7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) samfit7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) samfit7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm just going with 500-600 diff and feeling irritated and extreme craving for carbs. Cutting is the hardest part.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP it seems like you want to do everything as soon as possible. Fundamentally bodybuilding is the opposite of that plan.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50) swsko will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    A lot of deficit size will be dictated by height\weight stats, degree of leanness, etc. 2 lbs a week may be fine for a bigger person and sometimes even more is ok for someone obese. Smaller people will have to run a smaller deficit which means fatloss will be slower, so "big" deficit becomes relative.

A good starting rule of thumb for people with lower to moderate body fat is the deficit should be no more than 30 calories for every pound of fat you carry.
    20 lbs of fat? 600 calorie deficit. This is based on the amount of energy that can be excreted from stored fat on a daily basis. It allows for an equation to follow as you lean out. Anecdotally, it works really well. There will be exceptions however it gives you an idea of how much to lower your deficit as you lean out. You also need to figure your maintenance drops as you lean out so figure that too. Maintenance drops about 100 cals a day for every 10 lbs lost.

Understand that when discussing daily calories the number will be an average of a 7 day intake. 5 days of say 1800 calories and 2 days of 2800 calories is not an 1800 calorie daily intake
    But 30cal for every pound sounds low if you have say 4lbs to lose that's no more than 130cal deficit wouldn't that just make it very slow to lose the last 4lbs ?

Originally Posted by swsko View Post
    But 30cal for every pound sounds low if you have say 4lbs to lose that's no more than 130cal deficit wouldn't that just make it very slow to lose the last 4lbs ?
    no. 30 cals for all the fat on your body. 200 lbs at 15% body fat is 30 lbs of body fat. That would be 900 cal deficit per day max.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB