Thread: Where to start?

Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Where to start?

I don’t know where to start. I have never played a snap of football in my entire life on a school or club team before, I have played pick up games and street football but that’s pretty much it. I recently graduated high school in 2017, and I have decided that I want to play football for a D3 college school. My aim is either a slot receiver or a running back (both of which are INSANELY hard to play). However, I am up for the challenge, I am up for the grind, and my diet/workout/training programs I feel are spot on where they should be. My 40 time is about a 4.7 right now, however I transferred from bodybuilding, and hardly doing cardio, to much more plyometric/power training. I am also hiring a personal trainer who has trained football athletes for 4 years in high school (highly qualified). My question is, where do I start in my journey to play for a D3 school? My plan is too start from the bottom and work my way up. I know it’ll be hard, but I know I can do it. Thank you so much. 🙏

TLDR; Never played high school football before, where do I start to start playing college ball???

JosephJameson is not very well liked. (-100) JosephJameson is not very well liked. (-100) JosephJameson is not very well liked. (-100) JosephJameson is not very well liked. (-100) JosephJameson is not very well liked. (-100) JosephJameson is not very well liked. (-100) JosephJameson is not very well liked. (-100) JosephJameson is not very well liked. (-100) JosephJameson is not very well liked. (-100) JosephJameson is not very well liked. (-100) JosephJameson is not very well liked. (-100)
    May be you need just to check the nearest ones of the sections? Or just ask your trainer at your school first?

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP, you do understand that every team in almost all of the D3 conferences are composed of players who were multi year letter winners, multi sport athletes in HS, and that most were team captains or all district or state at their position. You do understand that most large HS football teams only have 4-6 kids who go on and play football at the college level. You have never played. Have you ever played Rugby, lacrosse, ice hockey, or something else with hitting involved? What skills do you bring to your potential team? None. Why should a coach allow you into his program? Why should he teach you the game? You should understand that you will be slaughtered by tough, well trained, skilled guys who've been lifting seriously since 8th grade. You think you're in good shape - you aren't and you aren't use to the violence of the game. You won't last more than the first week of camp. Anyhow, look for a team that takes everyone - Mt. Union and St. John's (MN) come to mind. They usually carry around 200 players and let anyone on. Maybe in 3 years you might see action as a scrub in one blowout game - that is if you're still around.

read this thread https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...&daysprune=365
    Last edited by sowilson; 11-14-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ravenx5150 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    [QUOTE=sowilson;1566227161]OP, you do understand that every team in almost all of the D3 conferences are composed of players who were multi year letter winners, multi sport athletes in HS, and that most were team captains or all district or state at their position. You do understand that most large HS football teams only have 4-6 kids who go on and play football at the college level. You have never played. Have you ever played Rugby, lacrosse, ice hockey, or something else with hitting involved? What skills do you bring to your potential team? None. Why should a coach allow you into his program? Why should he teach you the game? You should understand that you will be slaughtered by tough, well trained, skilled guys who've been lifting seriously since 8th grade. You think you're in good shape - you aren't and you aren't use to the violence of the game. You won't last more than the first week of camp. Anyhow, look for a team that takes everyone - Mt. Union and St. John's (MN) come to mind. They usually carry around 200 players and let anyone on. Maybe in 3 years you might see action as a scrub in one blowout game - that is if you're still around.

Completely do understand, and love the brutal honesty too boot. I wrestled my whole life (11 years, 3/4 years in high school), and have been working out since 8th grade. I do know the type of training as well, because I'm from Pennsylvania, and wrestled D3 (Both the toughest district along with the most competitive state in the ENTIRE country. Berks area which consisted of schools like Exeter, and closely in relation to Berks catholic/Nazareth which was ranked top 10 schools in the entire country in wrestling), so I would say as far as the training, as far as the weight lifting... yeah. I actually do know the type of sh*t that is required from those kinds of athletes considering the competition I faced. I do understand as well that Football is very very hard, different, and requires a TON of training and skills. I know that. But thats why im willing to put the work in to figure it out, considering I consider wrestling harder than football.

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    wrestling is different than football. A lot of people do both and a lot of the training crosses over but the skill set is completely different. Even if you play 7on7 or flag you don't know the following;
    1) how to block
    2) how to hit
    3) how to be hit
    4) how to run a route
    5) the language of plays
    6) your position
    7) key reads for your position
    8) how to receive a pitch, how to pitch
    9) how to hold a football
    10) how to accept a handoff
    11) how to handoff
    12) how to mesh with a quarterback
    13) how to run when you're going to be hit

and the list goes on and on and on. You're probably too old to attend summer camps where you can learn this stuff (you might try asking FBU), and the NCAA governs contact time between coaches and athletes in the offseason. So you'll have to learn during the two week camp prior to the start of the season - that's not much time. So, you may find a team to be on, but you're unlikely to see any playing time during your football career. Your best bet would be to hire a personal coach to teach you the skills you'll need for the positions you think you want to play. Remember, your coaches will decide what you play if anything.

You're delusional and are clueless. Good for you that you wrestled in High School, but that has crap to do with football, which you will find out the first time you carry the football in practice and a well trained 230lb linebacker or 290lb lineman or both hit you at full speed with your deer in the headlight look. Face it, your brain does not know how to process the game of football at the speed it is played at in college, even in lower level D3 teams. Learning to process the game takes time as well as learning the skills. The D3 playoffs have just started. I don't know where you are but you should show up to a playoff game and get down to field level if you can.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    OP, do you think a kid that played basketball all his life could workout and "train" for wrestling for 6 months and compete for a D3 team?

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    OP, do you think a kid that played basketball all his life could workout and "train" for wrestling for 6 months and compete for a D3 team?
    If he was really dedicated ? Maybe. But basketball is completely different than wrestling. Their not even in the same ballpark for similarity. Wrestling and football is Atleast somewhat similar. However, I see where everyone is coming from and understand. I can try right ??? Not saying I’m going to be end up being a successs story. But I want to play because I want to play. Not saying I’ll be the best or anything of that nature....

Cybergenics...it's bomb! lucia316's Avatar
    lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Ravenx5150 View Post
    If he was really dedicated ? Maybe. But basketball is completely different than wrestling. Their not even in the same ballpark for similarity. Wrestling and football is Atleast somewhat similar. However, I see where everyone is coming from and understand. I can try right ??? Not saying I’m going to be end up being a successs story. But I want to play because I want to play. Not saying I’ll be the best or anything of that nature....
    There is very little that is similar between wrestling and football. There are some skill sets from one that may help with the other, but they are not similar. If this is what you want to do you should take sowilson's advice and talk to and hire a personal coach to teach you the game. Unfortunately, he's not going to be able to get your ready for the contact.

At this point, you need to stop posting on the interwebz and take some action. Having played D3 ball and understanding that it was markedly faster, violent, time consuming and tougher than high school, I can tell you that you're not prepared and will likely be a tackling dummy on the scout squad. Regardless, no college coach is going to spend time teaching you the game.
    "I'm pretty sure your wrong, but care to elaborate..."

Retired account

TheFugitive, Manwittaplan, and ILPump are all the same guy...socktastic

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP isnt even going to try out. He will tell ALL of his friends that he is going to "play college ball next year".

A late entry to every fall where we get 6-12 posts just like the OPs. And only one followed through.

He got onto the scout team, got injured, and eventually his wife forced him to quit because he was playing kids games instead of working a job to support his family.

Originally Posted by lucia316 View Post
    There is very little that is similar between wrestling and football. There are some skill sets from one that may help with the other, but they are not similar. If this is what you want to do you should take sowilson's advice and talk to and hire a personal coach to teach you the game. Unfortunately, he's not going to be able to get your ready for the contact.

At this point, you need to stop posting on the interwebz and take some action. Having played D3 ball and understanding that it was markedly faster, violent, time consuming and tougher than high school, I can tell you that you're not prepared and will likely be a tackling dummy on the scout squad. Regardless, no college coach is going to spend time teaching you the game.
    Appreciate the feedback and the advice. I love how people (not necessarily you) are going really hard at me, like I’m talking like I want to go pro... I just want to play the game because it’s fun and I miss the team elements. I respect the tough love. Maybe it’s not going to happen... okay I can accept that. Again, not you, but people need to calm down.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    OP isnt even going to try out. He will tell ALL of his friends that he is going to "play college ball next year".

A late entry to every fall where we get 6-12 posts just like the OPs. And only one followed through.

He got onto the scout team, got injured, and eventually his wife forced him to quit because he was playing kids games instead of working a job to support his family.
    I actually have a pretty decent job right now. I used to live on my own too, but because of something that happened within my family, I moved back with them (trust me when I say it was bad). I appreciate the tough love, and again... no need to go off on me when I’m simply asking where to start at. If hiring a personal coach is something I need to do, then okay maybe it is not for me. Not trying to go pro, not trying to be a big tough guy in college. Just want to play the game because I like to play and it’s fun. I know that from just playing the pick up games and playing with my old neighborhood as a kid. I appreciate it though, regardless

*I also want to add that If I do end up playing, and I play for “fun” I’ll still be giving it my 120% to be the best I can. So it would be something I would obviously work my ass off in. Not to give the impression that it would be like “just a game” or “just a joke” to me
    Last edited by Ravenx5150; 11-15-2018 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added something else

Ravenx5150, a coach at the college level is only going to spend time on you if he thinks you're something special and worth his time. What do you bring that's special? Are you a great kicker? long snapper? punter? super fast (i.e. 4.2 40)? fast, tall, and big (6'7", 385lb, 5.1 40yrd)? Probably not, so you will learn skills at your pace and that probably won't be quick enough to ever EARN playing time. Between 7th grade and 10th grade is the prime time to come to football, learn the skills of the game, and get playing time. You get to participate at the JV (or lower level) game speed before kicking it up at the varsity level. College, ALL LEVELS OF COLLEGE, are yet another level and all college coaches are paid to win.

If you want to actually play D3 football, you'll need coaching. Figure on once a week lessons at $50/hr for a year to teach you the game and how to play a couple of positions. Nothing will prepare you for being hit though. No coach will put you on the field unless he's confident that you won't die and that you won't be a deer in the headlights. My son when he was in HS helped a young man become a kicker by teaching him how to hit, block, tackle, and be hit. He also worked with him in the weight room to develop the strength to handle being hit. The kid had the kicking skills to succeed (former soccer and trained with a special teams kicking coach) just needed some basic football skills so that he would be safe on the field. The kid is graduating this year and has a PWO to a D1 school. His highlight reel has him making a great tackle on a kick return. Everyone on the field has to know the game in order to be safe. You don't know the game and aren't safe to let on a game field or in a scrimmage. I've told you of two, very good schools who will let anyone join the team. Your best bet is to find a team like that. Just make sure that you choose a school for an education and not football. You will probably quit football and if you play college football you will be injured (not if, will) and it may be career ending, so go to a school that you love.

Originally Posted by sowilson View Post
    Ravenx5150, a coach at the college level is only going to spend time on you if he thinks you're something special and worth his time. What do you bring that's special? Are you a great kicker? long snapper? punter? super fast (i.e. 4.2 40)? fast, tall, and big (6'7", 385lb, 5.1 40yrd)? Probably not, so you will learn skills at your pace and that probably won't be quick enough to ever EARN playing time. Between 7th grade and 10th grade is the prime time to come to football, learn the skills of the game, and get playing time. You get to participate at the JV (or lower level) game speed before kicking it up at the varsity level. College, ALL LEVELS OF COLLEGE, are yet another level and all college coaches are paid to win.

If you want to actually play D3 football, you'll need coaching. Figure on once a week lessons at $50/hr for a year to teach you the game and how to play a couple of positions. Nothing will prepare you for being hit though. No coach will put you on the field unless he's confident that you won't die and that you won't be a deer in the headlights. My son when he was in HS helped a young man become a kicker by teaching him how to hit, block, tackle, and be hit. He also worked with him in the weight room to develop the strength to handle being hit. The kid had the kicking skills to succeed (former soccer and trained with a special teams kicking coach) just needed some basic football skills so that he would be safe on the field. The kid is graduating this year and has a PWO to a D1 school. His highlight reel has him making a great tackle on a kick return. Everyone on the field has to know the game in order to be safe. You don't know the game and aren't safe to let on a game field or in a scrimmage. I've told you of two, very good schools who will let anyone join the team. Your best bet is to find a team like that. Just make sure that you choose a school for an education and not football. You will probably quit football and if you play college football you will be injured (not if, will) and it may be career ending, so go to a school that you love.
    I really appreciate these posts from you. I love the brutal honesty to be completely honest, and I was looking at your other posts, you never give any false hopes and are very straight forward, which I respect. Thank you very much sir for your help (100% serious). I shall message you in about a year, about where I am (Even if I don't end up playing or even getting injured or getting no where). I actually was doing research yesterday and found a personal coach very close to my area, who I recently spoke with. Thank you again for the honest replies.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Play in a rugby club, have fun, and continue with work and/or studies.

/thread

Cybergenics...it's bomb! lucia316's Avatar
    lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) lucia316 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Ravenx5150 View Post
    I just want to play the game because it’s fun and I miss the team elements.
    Intramurals. Not collegiate. If it's just about fun and team, then that should be your path. You'd likely never see the field since you don't have anything special to bring to the table, sowilson is correct. No coach is going to invest time he could spend elsewhere just because you want to have fun and love the game.
    "I'm pretty sure your wrong, but care to elaborate..."

Retired account

TheFugitive, Manwittaplan, and ILPump are all the same guy...socktastic