TBoneSteak82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Fixing matabolism....Or any other ideas that may help?

Been dieting for 11 months now, and not losing anymore weight calories are at 1600 and I feel like I'm eating like my teenage daughters. Ive been counting my calories and weighing all my food hitting 148g Protein and 45g fat. Ive only started weight training the last two weeks but have been running (trying to run) weekly totalling around 15/20 miles. BIG mistake not weight training from the beginning I know.

Ive been stuck at 193/194lbs for around 6 weeks now since my gallbladder surgery. I know its all calories in vs calories out (probable answering my own question) and I’m definitely counting them properly I’m not having extra nibbles or a bit of this a bit of that etc. But Is there any advice on maybe getting my tdee up so I don't have to reduce calories any lower than I'm on? I'm guessing I still have another 20lbs or so to lose so could really do with some advice.

Height 6ft1
    Current weight 194lbs
    Starting weight 258lbs

Thanks in advance

gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000) gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000) gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000) gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000) gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000) gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000) gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000) gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000) gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000) gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000) gipper53 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't know how solid this advice is, so take it with a huge grain of salt.

I'm in a similar boat as you, I've dropped about 55 lbs since January and I've about stalled out at 180lbs with my current diet and training routine. I've been around 180-182 for over a month. I'm still losing but it's coming very slowly, and I don't want to drop calories further. One difference is I've been doing the weights consistently since the beginning, and I have gained a small amount of muscle with the fat loss. But... I'm now at a point where I'm spinning wheels as I'm not really dropping fat but not eating enough to gain mass. I'm kinda stuck in a maintenance cycle.

In your case, I think with just starting the weight training it will have a big impact but it may take a little while to see the scale drop again. You may be benefiting from newbie muscle gains, and it's washing out the fat loss readings on the scale. Judge by the mirror for the next month or so and take measurements. If diet and the rest of your routine stays the same, the weight training WILL up your calorie requirements for maintenance, so you'll be burning more and see the fat come down. I'm positive adding the weight training alone will make a difference.

Just stick with it for a while. Once you get to a certain point the weight loss really slows down. But the good news is that dropping 5lbs now has more impact on your physique than it did at the beginning.
    Last edited by gipper53; 11-12-2018 at 02:52 PM. Reason: typo

Appreciate the reply, and well done on your weight loss I know its not easy, I will keep on going and see how it pans out and like you say the weight training should help things along which is why I started it, its just frustrating eating so few calories and not seeing a weight change on the scales or in the mirror. Ive only had 6 weight sessions so far so hopefully there will be improvements soon

Thanks again

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP, You have been eating at a deficit for 11 months straight? I am not an authority by any means, but that could be part of your problem. You might want to consider Reverse Dieting to get that metabolism fired up again. Here is an article on this site that talks about it. https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...e-dieting.html
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In the short term, be careful eating at a deficit while recovering from an operation. In the short term please consider relaxing the diet a little to assist your body's healing (but I'm Not saying to go nuts and undo all the good work). Maybe eating a little extra for a short time could also be used as the reverse diet bamazav is describing?

Also don't forget to follow dietary guidelines they've given you. Get well soon...

Thanks for the link, It was an interesting read, I will look further into this, And yes apart from the 10 days after my operation Ive been in a caloric deficit for around 11 months, Thanks again to you all for the advice its much appreciated.

Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
    OP, You have been eating at a deficit for 11 months straight? I am not an authority by any means, but that could be part of your problem. You might want to consider Reverse Dieting to get that metabolism fired up again. Here is an article on this site that talks about it. https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...e-dieting.html
    This x1000

I always reverse diet after a extended cut. in the past 2 weeks I am up 1100 calories on my reverse and have gained a pound. My metabolism is screaming and if it goes like this through the weekend I'll increase another 200 calories or so.

Might want to look into Avatar Nutrition, it is a paid online service that calculates your macros for you, it's cheap and easy and gets you into the whole reverse diet life.
    Instagram @captloufitness

Get comfortable being uncomfortable

USMC 89-97

Originally Posted by Capt_Lou View Post
    This x1000

I always reverse diet after a extended cut. in the past 2 weeks I am up 1100 calories on my reverse and have gained a pound. My metabolism is screaming and if it goes like this through the weekend I'll increase another 200 calories or so.

Might want to look into Avatar Nutrition, it is a paid online service that calculates your macros for you, it's cheap and easy and gets you into the whole reverse diet life.
    Fantastic, Thanks mate....Never heard of Avatar Nutrition but think I will join as having some guidance at my stage is what I definitely need. Its a shame I still have quite a bit of fat left but hopefully with there help I can get eating again and eventually get my body fat down

Thanks

tomskee1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomskee1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomskee1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomskee1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomskee1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomskee1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomskee1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomskee1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomskee1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomskee1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tomskee1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bump

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I was in a calorie deficit for most of a year and-a-half to lose 65 lbs. I am not an expert but what worked for me when the weight loss slowed down was 1) increase my protein 2) take diet breaks where I ate at maintenance or slightly above for 7 to 10 days. I went most of the time with no diet breaks but I took two of them in the last few months before reaching my goal.

I also did refeeds on the weekends so I was above maintenance calories every weekend and then in whatever deficit it took during the week to meet my target of negative 500 calories per day.
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just remembered one more thing - I also added an extra day of 30 min cardio when my weight loss started to stall. I think the diet breaks did help boost the metabolism and get my fat loss going again but sometimes you just have to dig deeper as well.
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008

Originally Posted by tblodg15 View Post
    Just remembered one more thing - I also added an extra day of 30 min cardio when my weight loss started to stall. I think the diet breaks did help boost the metabolism and get my fat loss going again but sometimes you just have to dig deeper as well.
    appreciate your input and letting me know what worked for you, Im going to give it another week or so of calorie deficit and if there still isn't a budge I will reverse diet. Ive signed up to Avatar Nutrition and either way I'm sure that will help me reach my goals would love to drop the last few lbs and then a nice steady reverse diet.

Thanks everyone
    Last edited by TBoneSteak82; 11-14-2018 at 11:33 AM.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    As suggested get your calories back up to maintenance for a quick diet break. I would suggest 2-3 weeks eating at maintenance and start fresh. When you get back on your diet use a more reasonable deficit. 1600 calories is a bit too low for a guy your size.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    As suggested get your calories back up to maintenance for a quick diet break. I would suggest 2-3 weeks eating at maintenance and start fresh. When you get back on your diet use a more reasonable deficit. 1600 calories is a bit too low for a guy your size.
    This is why kimmie was the first member here to be inducted into the prestigious O35 Girls are Sexy AF Club. It's almost too much to handle
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

BODYBUILDER / WARRIOR The Conqueror's Avatar
    The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) The Conqueror is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I used intermittent fasting, a clean diet and weight training from May until Now. I started at 257lbs fat. I got down to 206.6 but am currently up to 210lbs because I'm concentrating on adding muscle. I know a lot of folks think I.F. and bodybuilding are not compatible BUT when your needing to shed down it helps a lot.
    Before you achieve victory in the war without. . .you must first master the warrior within. . . (The Conqueror)

The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war (Asian Proverb)

MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    148g of protein sounds ok, but 45g of fat is too low, no?