christiang7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Study Material for NFPT

Hello all,

I'm looking at a few different certifications, mainly NASM and NFPT, and I was looking for some advice. I have a lot of NASM's study material but I'd prefer to take the NFPT exam (for cost and lack of a CPR/AED cert). For anyone who has knowledge on both of these certifications, could I get away with studying NASM's material without buying any from NFPT?

Thanks!

RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by christiang7 View Post
    Hello all,

I'm looking at a few different certifications, mainly NASM and NFPT, and I was looking for some advice. I have a lot of NASM's study material but I'd prefer to take the NFPT exam (for cost and lack of a CPR/AED cert). For anyone who has knowledge on both of these certifications, could I get away with studying NASM's material without buying any from NFPT?

Thanks!
    I don't really get your mindset here....

You want to take the worse certification because its cheaper and less requirements? Is that what you want to be? A cheaply trained personal trainer with few qualifications?

Do yourself a favor and save up the money to take a CPR test and get NASM certified. It will open more doors for you.

Originally Posted by RamsdenF View Post
    I don't really get your mindset here....

You want to take the worse certification because its cheaper and less requirements? Is that what you want to be? A cheaply trained personal trainer with few qualifications?

Do yourself a favor and save up the money to take a CPR test and get NASM certified. It will open more doors for you.
    Thank you for your opinion.

As far as it being a "worse" certification, it is acknowledged by the NCCA and is accepted by many facilities (including the one I'll be working at). And based on the research I've done, the test is quite hard.

May I ask who you are certified with and why you chose them?

RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thank you for your opinion.

As far as it being a "worse" certification, it is acknowledged by the NCCA and is accepted by many facilities (including the one I'll be working at). And based on the research I've done, the test is quite hard.
    Well those all basic necessities for a certification...as in nothing special, but rather what is expected. The most important part being it is accepted at your intended place of work.

Where is that at? If they accept NFPT I will assume a chain gym.
    May I ask who you are certified with and why you chose them?
    ACSM

Good information, top 3 recognized and financially friendly (only have to renew every 3 years and only for $30).

Well those all basic necessities for a certification...as in nothing special, but rather what is expected. The most important part being it is accepted at your intended place of work.

Where is that at? If they accept NFPT I will assume a chain gym.

ACSM

Good information, top 3 recognized and financially friendly (only have to renew every 3 years and only for $30).
    It is at a college rec center, merely a job for the experience while attending class.

ACSM is indeed a great cert, I'll have to look at them more closely. Since you are certified with them, do you have any knowledge of NASM's material and if it would translate to ACSM?

The goal here is to avoid buying study material since I already have a ton from NASM. Would it just be best get the NASM cert and get it over with?

It is at a college rec center, merely a job for the experience while attending class.

ACSM is indeed a great cert, I'll have to look at them more closely. Since you are certified with them, do you have any knowledge of NASM's material and if it would translate to ACSM?

The goal here is to avoid buying study material since I already have a ton from NASM. Would it just be best get the NASM cert and get it over with?
    NASM's material would only be applicable to NASM. Sure there may be some crossover on information, but it would not justify skimping out on an other organizations study material.

In your case I would just go with NASM. You already have the supplies to pass the test. As an employer trust me....NASM looks a lot better than NFPT

NASM's material would only be applicable to NASM. Sure there may be some crossover on information, but it would not justify skimping out on an other organizations study material.

In your case I would just go with NASM. You already have the supplies to pass the test. As an employer trust me....NASM looks a lot better than NFPT
    Sounds like a plan, thanks for the advice.

mattpft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    NFPT is the hands down best entry level certification out there! However if your looking for something more advanced I agree NASM & ACSM are excellent options. I own and operate two fitness centers that specialize in personal training and we proudly accept NFPT as an entry level certification. When I first got into this industry I didn't have any anatomy or physiology background, so I probably would have been overwhelmed with NASM or ACSM. NFPT gave me a solid foundation to get into the industry after which I continued my education with NASM, CrossFit, TRX, ViPR, and many more. That being said if your looking for an awesome entry level certification I would go with NFPT. If your looking for something more advance either NASM or ACSM are great options. Hope this help and best wishes!

NitroTrainer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sounds like a plan, thanks for the advice.
    Christiang7, I agree with mattpft. The NFPT is an excellent program. I have been working with them for 9 years. I've worked with many trainers over the years who are ACSM and NASM certified, no offense but their certification did not make them a better trainer...anyone can memorize. It is up to the individual and there are more aspects to being a trainer which the NFPT understands. They also suggest you study outside of the manual, a wealth of knowledge is important but there is no substitute for actual experience.

It's irresponsible for someone to degrade a certification organization simply out of ignorance.

fruizjr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have nasm but I am also studying for nfpt just for variety. Actually nfpt and now looks more difficult then nasm. And if Nfpt is recognized at LA Fitness. Also nasm is just merge with AFAA and they are also accepted at the YMCA