mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50)

heart rate zones, being safe and yet burning fat

I hear so many different things about fat burning, I've read articles that say that being at your 60-70% of max. heart rate is best for burning fat because you can stay at that zone for a long time and use fat stores. I have always thought that you should be at a moderate level of intensity, 70-80% of max. heart rate. But now I"ve read that 70-85% is considered vigorous intensity and I've been doing that level daily, thinking it's moderate. And I don't want to overwork the heart either. They say (the American Heart Association) says that moderate is 50-70% which for me is 90-127, which is practically nothing. And I want to have a week routine of like 3 days a week moderate steady, 2 days of interval/moderate and 1 day of just super low, fun walking, etc. But I'm confused as to what is moderate and what is vigorous training?
    I'm curious to hear from others on what you think? If it's true what I"ve read lately, Iv'e been super overdoing it on my heart!

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Fat burning zones do not matter for weight loss.

When you are exercising, your body is always burning carbs and fat. Exercising in the fat burning zone does mean that it will prefer to burn more fat than carbs, but at the end of the day as long as you are in a calorie deficit, your body will be using mostly fat to make up the difference between the fuel you're providing it (food) and how many calories it's burning all day long.

At the end of the day/week/month, what matters is being in a calorie deficit. I would suggest not worrying about your fat burning zone.
    Last edited by spradish; 11-09-2018 at 03:55 AM.

mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for answering, so just a question. I get that it doesn't matter what zone you're in, as long as you create a calorie deficit, but do you think there's any damage to the heart or danger or any kind of physical negatives in having 5 days a week being in that 70-80% range for 45 minutes a day? Can it hinder you in any way, that's kind of what I'm wondering. Iv'e done it for a while, but now that I'm getting older, I don't want to go against being healthy and fit. What do you think?

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's fine don't worry about it. Why so much cardio?
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Hthanks for your assurance Tommy because on thr national heart association page, supposedly for my age, i should only get my hearr rate up to 137 max, and ive been getting it up to 150 at times when I do sprints on the elliptical and then ill do steady state at 135 for a good other 20 min, so i tbought I was pushing too much for my poor heart.
    The reason I do so much is I also want to lose belly fat and because Im small, I dont get many calories and I like to eat, so in order for me to create a deficit and still be able to eat, I do cardio, but Ive always been a big cardio fan. Born in the 80s and it was all about cardio then.

Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz Iceman1800 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by mamaherrera View Post
    Thanks for answering, so just a question. I get that it doesn't matter what zone you're in, as long as you create a calorie deficit, but do you think there's any damage to the heart or danger or any kind of physical negatives in having 5 days a week being in that 70-80% range for 45 minutes a day? Can it hinder you in any way, that's kind of what I'm wondering. Iv'e done it for a while, but now that I'm getting older, I don't want to go against being healthy and fit. What do you think?
    zero risk
    I can't do crossfit and also be a Detroit Lions fan. I love football and can only be in one cult at a time

L4/L5 fusion September 2016

MCD crew

Originally Posted by Iceman1800 View Post
    zero risk
    Thanks for your confident answer. Truly appreciate it

I'll Mod 'til I'm dead. ironwill2008's Avatar
    ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Hthanks for your assurance Tommy because on thr national heart association page, supposedly for my age, i should only get my hearr rate up to 137 max, and ive been getting it up to 150 at times when I do sprints on the elliptical and then ill do steady state at 135 for a good other 20 min, so i tbought I was pushing too much for my poor heart.
    The reason I do so much is I also want to lose belly fat and because Im small, I dont get many calories and I like to eat, so in order for me to create a deficit and still be able to eat, I do cardio, but Ive always been a big cardio fan. Born in the 80s and it was all about cardio then.
    Unless you have a cardiac condition diagnosed by a medical professional, a normally-healthy person's heart will simply self-regulate; you will be forced to slow down/stop when your cardiovascular system over-reaches.

If you have further concerns, see your doctor.
    No brain, no gain.

You can't out-train bad nutrition.

Nothing good comes from negativity; where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym---updated pics:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Workout Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You should look into trading some of that cardio for a good weightlifting program a few days a week. Cardio only takes you so far and an excessive amount has diminishing returns over time where weight exercises have numerous benefits especially as you age.

Those recommended BPM charts are a safe zone and don't take in consideration fitness levels

Ahh the 80's......
    Last edited by Tommy W.; 11-09-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000)

I'm in my 50s and my theoretical max is around 170 bpm.

When I do cardio my HR gets up to about 160 and averages 146-152.

Unless you have some sort of health issue, you'll be fine.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Ilikebeef is a name known to all. (+5000) Ilikebeef is a name known to all. (+5000) Ilikebeef is a name known to all. (+5000) Ilikebeef is a name known to all. (+5000) Ilikebeef is a name known to all. (+5000) Ilikebeef is a name known to all. (+5000) Ilikebeef is a name known to all. (+5000) Ilikebeef is a name known to all. (+5000) Ilikebeef is a name known to all. (+5000) Ilikebeef is a name known to all. (+5000) Ilikebeef is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Basically if nothing hurts, you are fine. If it starts to hurt, slow down or stop.

Cammy91 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cammy91 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cammy91 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cammy91 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cammy91 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cammy91 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cammy91 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cammy91 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cammy91 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cammy91 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Cammy91 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I used to be concerned about my heart rate staying around 190 everytime when running, Consulting charts about where my max HR should be said it was above what i should have been - and it definetly was concerning (for me anyways), but im still here, so i guess there was nothing to worry about.

even though you feel your heart pounding i dont think its anything to be concerned about, unless you feel any real discomfort or fatigue, but when in doubt - consult a doctor.

I'm 66 and hit 170 during my HIIT sessions. 130 is just cruise mode. As mentioned, your body and breathing will dictate if a certain BPM is excessive based on your individual fitness level

sunsean is a name known to all. (+5000) sunsean is a name known to all. (+5000) sunsean is a name known to all. (+5000) sunsean is a name known to all. (+5000) sunsean is a name known to all. (+5000) sunsean is a name known to all. (+5000) sunsean is a name known to all. (+5000) sunsean is a name known to all. (+5000) sunsean is a name known to all. (+5000) sunsean is a name known to all. (+5000) sunsean is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ditto everyone else. I'm also 38 OP, and my runs have my heart rate in the 150s-160s when going all out (not sprints just a fast run). I think the more you push your heart (within the body's limits) the more benefits it receives. My RHR is in the 40s.

Thanks, that's good to know I'm not the only one. Like others have said, I think I'm doing too much internet reading! Thanks all! But I will try and do less cardio. I already do lifting, but I've just thought cardio is needed and an hour a day is standard, taht's always been my thoughts! Hard to change things ingrained.

awesome fellow 38-er. Thanks for sharing, Keep up the awesome runs. My knees don't let me run anymore, but if just your fast runs keep you steadily in those ranges for a good while, then then definitely we're good to go.

and awesome numbers tommy! Thanks for sharing. I think what someone said above, internet info, heart association places give general info for beginners. Thanks

Originally Posted by Luclin999 View Post
    I'm in my 50s and my theoretical max is around 170 bpm.

When I do cardio my HR gets up to about 160 and averages 146-152.

Unless you have some sort of health issue, you'll be fine.

That is really awesome!