Carbs are my friend... vandalgirl59's Avatar
    vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) vandalgirl59 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Smile Share your mini-story, encourage others!

So. I use to be VERY active here. Maybe some of you recognize me. Super long story short, I've been away for years and am kind of starting over on my fitness journey. I have so many friends and family members that feel it's 'too late' for them. I admit to have felt that way at points too. I'm going through a divorce. My parents are splitting. I have another friend going through a divorce. (Gosh, is there something in the water?!). They, and others, have told me, 'I'm too old, I'm too this, I'm too that to ever achieve a change...it's too late for me'. Hogwash.

I know it's possible. It's math. It's science. Work the numbers, do the work. Sure, WE ALL have to actually do the work. But I thought, hey, if any of the ladies of the BB world would be willing to tell their story, and how it was NOT too late for them and it was NOT impossible, maybe I can give some of my family/friends a little hopeful nudge. It's up to them in the end, but for example, my mother, who is 60 now, needs to know that it's still not too late for her...that she doesn't have to resort to hiding in her house and swearing off trying because it's 'impossible'.

Anyway. Any of you willing to share a bit about your story? When you started, how far you've come?

I know I started as a fat kid, learned the right things in my early college years, and was in my 'prime' in my early 20's (thank you Emma-Leigh! I wish you were still around here!). Then I fell in love, got married and stopped doing ANYTHING for myself for the last several years. I didn't gain weight, I'm actually a couple lbs lighter now lol, but I've basically swapped ALL my muscle for nice gooey fat. Skinny-fat. That is me. And that is a starting point, but nothing more. I know I can do it again. I'm only 29. I'm healthy. I also have lots of free time haha. Sure, my purse feels heavy at this point, and I can't jog around the block...but I started there at 17 and made HUGE changes, so it can be done again.

Hope to see some familiar faces around here!
    ~Impatience never demanded success~

***Calculate your Calorie/Macro Needs HERE --> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380533 ***

bodywurkz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    vandalgirl59 - I think this is a great idea!

I'm new to the forum, 64+ YO and although I still toy with the idea that lifting weights may not be ideal for someone my age, I know that if I want to lose weight, reduce body weight and achieve some resemblance of some of the great bodies I see on BB, I have to lift. Most importantly, I honestly don't think it's too late!
    I've been researching the forum, documenting the suggested workout plans, will be creating my own workout journal this weekend to start on Sunday and I made a thread seeking guidance for a workout plan. I'm already physically active with skating, dancing and going to the gym. What's lacking is a personal trainer and a plan.

Now that I've returned from vacation, my focus will be on diet, reducing body fat, creating a plan and journal as well as acquiring a personal trainer.

So if I'm confident that I can do it, I know at 29, experienced at bodybuilding and dealing with a lot less weight - you can succeed.

P.S. I'm shocked that friends and family think you're "too old" at 29. I think the best way to motivate, encourage and "silence" them,<lol> is for them to see your results and success in your fitness journey. I'll be looking for your updates.

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hey vandallgirl,

I remember you when I used to post more regularly a few years ago In fact, I only just today popped back in to the forums and I need to get my own a** in gear after a car accident last year and some big family changes that have left me weaker and skinny fatter, and when scrolling through posts was happy to see by someone I recognized! But girl, you are still young, DO NOT think you are too old to "get back" to where you were, or improve even further! You wanted some story, so here is some from my own past (BTW, I in a way I need to hear this to again get myself back to a good spot...)

I used to think of myself as "chubby" as a kid, partially due to my father calling me fat frequently. But looking back, I should have been proud and happy with my body. I was told not to lift as it would "hurt my bones", even though I really wanted to. I went into the Army when I was 21, and almost didn't pass getting into basic as I could barely even do three pushups with enough bend to the elbow to be considered one. Military life is not conducive to muscle building, and while in there I mostly just became light enough (2 mile run time improved for sure) to do more pushups. After having 2 kids which is *not* kind to muscle retention either due to hormones, I never had a problem losing weight but found that I would be "flabby" at even lower scale weight. Classic skinny fat, unfortunately.

While my husband and I were technically married (in the Army overseas, we had no family there and it was a boring legal affair), we wanted to have a "real" wedding when we got back to the states. I, of course, wanted to look my best and felt that just "losing weight" would not end up with me looking like I wanted. My chest was bony and I had absolutely no differentiation between butt and thigh. I realized that my big issue was lack of muscle, and that was the point at which I joined this site around....2008 or so as a lurker at the age of around 31. I decided to pick up starting strength in a deficit (probably not the best idea, but can be ok for a newb for a bit), and noticed lots of positive changes. However, while my short-term plan was to "look better", over time I came to see that after an initial impressive change, furtherchanges in the mirror were quite small as it took *time* for more drastic changes to occur. I really enjoyed my time in the gym and lifting, but the difference in what I could *see* were slowing down a ton. However, I found that even if my measurements were not changing much, it was so very exhilarating to see my changed in strength in the gym. I thought about what would drive me to keep lifting - changes in my body or weight on the bar? I went with the latter, and happily did not look back .

When concerned with strength, I went on my first bulking cycle which was scary (OMG gaining weight!!) but so rewarding in the gym. After bulking and later cutting again, that was when I could see sooo many more changes than when I just tried to cut and lift! I actually had a butt separate from my hammies! My chest was not just a bunch of ribs! This carried on, and I found competitive powerlifting as a fun way to direct my strength goals (the community there is super!). And most importantly to your question....I found that I was at my best physically (health, strength, and aesthetic-wise) moreso in my mid-late 30's than I had even been in my 20s.

Now, as to your life problems...I hear you there too, and *HUGS*. My lifting journey also encompassed some family problems. After I was lifting for about a year and a week before my first ever powerlifting meet, I found out something quite sinister about my husband and father to my two children. And BB.com actually was a haven for me in my time of need, I PM'd some wonderful ladies here for advice and they really helped me through it. After he was arrested and my children and I moved out, I had to find a different job, and my life was completely upended. But I went to that first PL meet, and to this day I still remember pulling up that "measly" DL and letting all my rage enter into that bar as it left the ground and to lockout. Since then lifting had become my "me time" among the hectic pace of single mom life and kids. It has allowed me to find not only physical, but also mental and emotional strength. While sometimes especially in the early stages it felt hard to get to the gym, but over time the habit becomes so ingrained that I didn't feel complete without some gym time

I hope that helps, and I have a ton of progress pics here on BB too if you want to see what a "not young lady" can accomplish. I wish you the best and again, it is really nice to see some familiar faces around the forum
    Gym PRs:
    SQ: 360 x 1, BP: 165 x 1, DL: 330 x 2, OHP: 110 x 2

Best meet lifts (raw w/wraps):
    SQ: 365, BP: 155, DL: 350, Elite total of 870 @165

Closest thing to a log, but better cause it's vids! = www.youtube.com/user/birdiefu