Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Need Honest Opinions/Help - Physique Competition

All,

Brand new to this forum and I'm putting myself out there asking for some help. Over the last 16 months I've lost about 50 lbs (Diet & Exercise, Imagine that!) Anyway, I'm thinking about entering a Masters Physique competition in May of '19 and would like some honest feedback on if I'm wasting my time or not.

I'm 48 years old.. 170lbs. I figure I need to lose another 15-20lbs before a competition. I know I still have some back fat I need to get rid of. BTW - I'm 5'9"

Any insights and feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
    JLM
    Attached Images

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Congratulations on the progress!!!

(Iโ€™ll leave the advice to the experts.)
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not โ€œover the hillโ€ yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JLMohawk View Post
    Brand new to this forum
    Welcome. I'm not new, but haven't posted much in the last 3-4 years.

Over the last 16 months I've lost about 50 lbs (Diet & Exercise, Imagine that!)
    Nice. Congrats. I've lost 80 pounds since Oct 2017.

Anyway, I'm thinking about entering a Masters Physique competition
    I've thought about that too, now that I can see my abs. HAHAHA. Do 6'8" guys do competitions like that? So I'm curious to see the replies to your post.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Congrats on your transformation, you look awesome. I would say not a waste of time at all.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    All,

Brand new to this forum and I'm putting myself out there asking for some help. Over the last 16 months I've lost about 50 lbs (Diet & Exercise, Imagine that!) Anyway, I'm thinking about entering a Masters Physique competition in May of '19 and would like some honest feedback on if I'm wasting my time or not.

I'm 48 years old.. 170lbs. I figure I need to lose another 15-20lbs before a competition. I know I still have some back fat I need to get rid of. BTW - I'm 5'9"

Thanks!
    JLM

Legs? Upper back?

Can't tell much from the pics you linked.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Legs? Upper back?

Can't tell much from the pics you linked.
    If he's going to do physique, he'll be wearing board shorts so legs, other than calves, are a wash. He'll also be doing half turns and not flexing, so upper back is not really going to be much of a factor. The thing the OP will need to do is get his body fat down to ~9% and hold onto enough muscle to keep from looking like he's been on the Bataan death march.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    If he's going to do physique, he'll be wearing board shorts so legs, other than calves, are a wash. He'll also be doing half turns and not flexing, so upper back is not really going to be much of a factor. The thing the OP will need to do is get his body fat down to ~9% and hold onto enough muscle to keep from looking like he's been on the Bataan death march.

To each his own, I guess.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    To each his own, I guess.
    I have heard the physique competition described by the judges as looking for more of a male model type body. The stagers often get frustrated with the physique competitors spending time back stage trying to pump up. After all, they are going to walk the T, not flex and pose. No disrespect to physique competitors, but it is what it is.

JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) JLMohawk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have heard the physique competition described by the judges as looking for more of a male model type body. The stagers often get frustrated with the physique competitors spending time back stage trying to pump up. After all, they are going to walk the T, not flex and pose. No disrespect to physique competitors, but it is what it is.
    Thanks for the replies guys.. My legs are coming along.. Here is my back photo's. I need some work but again just wondering if I commit 4 months to a contest if I would at least be worthy of the stage..
    Attached Images

Thanks for the replies guys.. My legs are coming along.. Here is my back photo's. I need some work but again just wondering if I commit 4 months to a contest if I would at least be worthy of the stage..
    Your upper looks good; better than most who post here.

Your goals are your own, of course, but it looks like you have the potential to go beyond needing board shorts.
    No brain, no gain.

Ironwill Gym:

Ironwill2008 Journal:

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    There are actually physique competitions where the competitors don't show their thighs and don't flex? Wow, I had no idea and that seems crazy to me. I assumed a physique class was similar to bodybuilding but just with less muscle development but obviously I don't pay any attention to any form of competition.
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    All,

Thanks!
    JLM
    If you are interested in competing then go for it! I don't know anything about actual competitions and for me it's too subjective to ever want to complete myself but it looks like you have enough muscle to do it. If it's a goal of yours it might be worth doing it just for the experience regardless of your actual placing.
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    IMHO, honestly...

I think a lot of guys who donโ€™t follow competition get confused between the various divisions. Im not going to say DONโ€™T do menโ€™s physique, because first off, I canโ€™t tell from those pics, and second, I donโ€™t know what your local competition is like.

BUT, menโ€™s physique isnโ€™t โ€œbodybuilding liteโ€ like many people think, itโ€™s an entirely different animal. Itโ€™s stage presents and good looks, to start with. If you arenโ€™t generally attractive and charismatic, your at a disadvantage. Physiquewise your success is based more on your genetics than your development. You NEED those wide shoulders, narrow waist, and shapely calves before you even start with adding muscle.

Competative Bodybuilding is a much more forgiving sport. Sure, a good shape helps, but muscular development, and extreme cuts are more important. Iโ€™ve seen ugly guys with a blocky waiste, but lots of muscles and cuts do very well in bodybuilding, who would get laughed off the stage in physique.

IMHO (as a fan, not a competitor) physique is actually โ€œharderโ€ to succeed in than bodybuilding (natural, at a local level).

I donโ€™t know...I wouldnโ€™t do well in physique, but might survive in bodybuilding, and your upper body looks similar to mine. Put on some board shorts, give us a few sexy full body poses, with a smile on your face, and Iโ€™ll give you a better opinion.

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    IMHO, honestly...

, itโ€™s an entirely different animal. Itโ€™s stage presents and good looks, to start with. .

Dont forget a good haircut (srs)

Think male model competition.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by tblodg15 View Post
    If you are interested in competing then go for it! I don't know anything about actual competitions and for me it's too subjective to ever want to complete myself but it looks like you have enough muscle to do it. If it's a goal of yours it might be worth doing it just for the experience regardless of your actual placing.
    This was my first thought. I had always wanted to compete and finally got the cherries to do it a few years ago. I just wanted to do it for the experience but I ended up placing better than I thought, against a group of kids half my age, and I was hooked. In fact, I was just looking over the 2019 schedule to pick the shows I want to do.

Grubman has it down pretty well as far as the look they are going for. And, imo, calves don't even matter in physique. It's really all about delt width, lat width, attractive taper to a tight waist, and finally some ab development.

From your pics, honestly, it would not be a waste of time. If you want to compete, do it! You'll always be wishing you had. Fuk everyone else; do it for you.
    I'm 5-8 and have been competing at 150 at around 8%
    My son and I last show:

And about 4-5 weeks later at 156:

Competing is do much fun! And it's a fantastic motivator, for me at least. It really is the best thing I've ever done for my training; it gives you amazing focus.
    I think you are right on with coming down to around 155 as well. I'd do novice and 40+ classes. Look into the OCB schedulefor 2019
    http://ocbonline.com/event_schedule.php

I've been competing in physique but plan on putting on some weight and going into bodybuilding in 2019.
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card
    21 BB 40+1st..50+1st..Open 5th..4th Card

Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Vampirelol has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Solid potential. If itโ€™s an interest of yours, do it.
    Views expressed on this domain are fictitious and represent the opinion of no entity whatsoever

Originally Posted by Vampirelol View Post
    Solid potential. If itโ€™s an interest of yours, do it.
    All,

Thanks very much for the honest feedback! I'll keep at it...

tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tkdnj is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Best advice is to go to a show and see what you think. I don't think you need to lose any more than 10-12 pounds. It's none of my business if you're natural or not, but IMHO you can definitely do well in a Natural Masters class, and though it would be tougher you could certainly hold your own in a Non-Tested Masters class. An advantage guys on gear have is that they can hold onto muscle better in a calorie deficit, so most of those guys are ripped AND muscular. Many Natural Masters contestants are either ripped and not very big or less cut and bigger. The few that are both are the top guys. I say go for it! Good Luck!
    Last edited by tkdnj; 11-16-2018 at 09:26 PM.

Hey All,

I officially signed up today for the OCB Jersey Natural Open - May 18th Burlington, NJ.. Just going to work hard and go for it!!

Iโ€™ll keep posting on progress from time to time which will help me stay focused..

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.. Going to be my last โ€œcheatโ€ day for quite a while....

JLM

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ^^^Good for you man!! Funny, I literally just signed up for my first spring show tonight too! April 13th and then I'll do May 18th as well; in NH.

What division are you doing?

I'm wicked pumped for you!!

Shout if there is anything I can help you with.
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card
    21 BB 40+1st..50+1st..Open 5th..4th Card

Thanks Man! Thanks for the well wishes.. Iโ€™m doing Novice and 40+..

Honestly I would truly appreciate it if I could bounce some things off of you and/or get some feedback as I go through this journey? I think itโ€™s great your doing a couple of shows as well early next year so weโ€™ll be working toward the 18th at the same time..

Iโ€™m literally doing it on my own so any insight especially from someone who has done it would be awesome!!

JLM

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Your upper looks good; better than most who post here.

Your goals are your own, of course, but it looks like you have the potential to go beyond needing board shorts.
    Agreed. If your legs are looking good I would suggest doing the classic physique category. They come in a bit leaner compared to physique but not as big as the bb's. You'll be a good fit in OCB so no worries there. Learn the mandatory poses and you'll be fine.

Congrats on your weight loss so far and good luck!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Iโ€™m doing Novice and 40+.
    Physique or Bodybuilding?

Either way, tons of respect for going for it! Itโ€™ll be awsome to watch your progress and success!

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    Agreed. If your legs are looking good I would suggest doing the classic physique category. They come in a bit leaner compared to physique but not as big as the bb's. You'll be a good fit in OCB so no worries there. Learn the mandatory poses and you'll be fine.

Congrats on your weight loss so far and good luck!
    Thank you so much.. Just looking at your website and training thread, very impressive! I truly appreciate your feedback....

JLM

Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    Physique or Bodybuilding?

Either way, tons of respect for going for it! Itโ€™ll be awsome to watch your progress and success!
    Thanks Grubman.. Going to do Physique.

I don't think I'm big enough for Bodybuilding division? I'm really green here though so all this is new to me. I'm doing a lot of research on contest prep work now. I'm going to post progress and if I'm fortunate enough to continue to receive feedback as I go maybe think differently. Kim mentioned Classic Physique which I hadn't thought about either.

Thanks again,
    JLM

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    JL,

After the horror stories that I've read regarding "peak week," I suggest that you do a mock one or two, and from your schedule, you should have time to do so because many people seem to screw things up for the day of the show and then lament "I looked much better the day AFTER the show!"
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

๐Ÿ…พ๐Ÿ…ผ๐Ÿ…ด๐Ÿ…ถ๐Ÿ…ฐ ๐Ÿ††๐Ÿ…ด๐Ÿ…ฐ๐Ÿ…ฟ๐Ÿ…พ๐Ÿ…ฝ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Going to do Physique.

I don't think I'm big enough for Bodybuilding division? I'm really green here though so all this is new to me.
    JLM
    I would suggest attending a few shows in your area if you are really concerned. We can chat about our thoughts but actually seeing the competition, competitors, and process might help you decide if it's something you would enjoy. You can also review video of shows but it's not quite the same as sitting in the audience JMO.

If you are going to spend months preparing perhaps spend a few days reviewing real shows prior to committing? People get all kinds of crazy ideas when the show/competition is all in their imagination.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    As others have stated mens fitness physique is more about "looks" than anything else, of course you will need to be in shape, but muscles that are important in bodybuilding, i.e. Back/traps, quads, thickness/mass wont be an issue, you will need a V taper, abs, small waist, round shoulders and good looks.
    On the list for Bannukah

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    I would suggest attending a few shows in your area if you are really concerned. We can chat about our thoughts but actually seeing the competition, competitors, and process might help you decide if it's something you would enjoy. You can also review video of shows but it's not quite the same as sitting in the audience JMO.

If you are going to spend months preparing perhaps spend a few days reviewing real shows prior to committing? People get all kinds of crazy ideas when the show/competition is all in their imagination.
    Yes - I'm definitely going to look into attending at least one show live. I have been watching a lot of footage of shows on YouTube..

I'm "all-in" as far as wanting to do it as I've become a bit OCD'ish with the idea of seeing how far I can take my body naturally while still maintaining some semblance of a normal day to day life, as I have a day job, kids, etc...

Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    As others have stated mens fitness physique is more about "looks" than anything else, of course you will need to be in shape, but muscles that are important in bodybuilding, i.e. Back/traps, quads, thickness/mass wont be an issue, you will need a V taper, abs, small waist, round shoulders and good looks.
    As far as looks go, realizing it's subjective I hope and think I should be OK. I'll post some full pictures down the road and if I get "boo'd" off the board due to looks then I will have to reassess. The V Taper, small waist, and round shoulders is something I'm going to need some help with as far as if I'm in the ball park, that's where I hop to get feedback. Currently sitting at a 31" waist, I have fat to lose for sure..

Thanks!
    JLM