AthensMatt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

after almost 2 years I'm back!

I've completed 3 months back in the gym after almost 2 years of nursing a back injury. Too many doctor, PT and Chiropractor visits...but that's all behind me now. I hope for good. What a trial something like that can be on you. Oh and the weight I put on, yikes!

Those first few weeks back in the gym were embarrassing and sore. I've always loved lifting because it was me against the guy in the mirror. But for the guy in the mirror to be my memory of what I was, its a tough battle at the moment. Gotta get my diet back on track, shrink my gut, SLOWLY strengthen my back, so many things on the TO DO list.

BUT....I'm back in the gym and for that I am happy!

just thought I'd share. ??maybe just for me??

DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    What happened to your back? How did you conclude that the main pain mechanism is lack of strength in the back?
    Go to my log and share something brutal i might wanna try: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177638011&p=1589549301#post1589549301

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by AthensMatt View Post
    I've completed 3 months back in the gym after almost 2 years of nursing a back injury. Too many doctor, PT and Chiropractor visits...but that's all behind me now. I hope for good. What a trial something like that can be on you. Oh and the weight I put on, yikes!

Those first few weeks back in the gym were embarrassing and sore. I've always loved lifting because it was me against the guy in the mirror. But for the guy in the mirror to be my memory of what I was, its a tough battle at the moment. Gotta get my diet back on track, shrink my gut, SLOWLY strengthen my back, so many things on the TO DO list.

BUT....I'm back in the gym and for that I am happy!

just thought I'd share. ??maybe just for me??
    You can do it! I know how it feels to have to drop out due to medical issues, and even when you're sore and weak, it feels good to come back.

You'll get there. Take it slow, and enjoy the journey.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Originally Posted by DOMSPOWER View Post
    What happened to your back? How did you conclude that the main pain mechanism is lack of strength in the back?
    I'm sorry I didn't mean to infer lack of strength caused my back pain. I injured it lifting some heavy beams for some landscaping I was doing in my back yard. I thought I was fine to do it myself but I was wrong.

The back strength comment I made in my OP was more related to improving back strength to better support my back and avoid injury. At least that's the the PT said I should do. So I'm following orders! Today was back day and it's getting stronger little by little.

OH! I should also mention my really old bed mad matters worse. I might have survived the injury caused by lifting those beams but when my bed provided little to no support that probably made matters worse.

Bought a new bed and I started making big strides towards feeling better. It's been awesome!

So never sleep on an old bed!

DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DOMSPOWER is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    No worries, i wasn't sure if you were trying to infer it since a stronger back is generally always a good long term goal, and i asked because spine injuries are intriquing so me. So can i also ask what style of bed you used to have and which one you have now?
    Go to my log and share something brutal i might wanna try: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177638011&p=1589549301#post1589549301

Originally Posted by DOMSPOWER View Post
    No worries, i wasn't sure if you were trying to infer it since a stronger back is generally always a good long term goal, and i asked because spine injuries are intriquing so me. So can i also ask what style of bed you used to have and which one you have now?
    Both the old and new are spring mattresses. The new I also purchased a topper from Amazon that is 100% Natural Latex. I first went with Firm but had to return it and get a Medium because sleeping on my side would make my shoulder sore and arm fall asleep. I really love the topper! Let me know and I can provide a link if anyone is interested, or just search Amazon for Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper.

heartandsoul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartandsoul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartandsoul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartandsoul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartandsoul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartandsoul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartandsoul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartandsoul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartandsoul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartandsoul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heartandsoul has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Awesome that you are back on track after your injury! I was looking for a "comeback" journal, and found yours. (: I am also getting back full force after time off. I did not have an injury, but was not on point because of major life stresses. I am curious how you are doing your diet with your lifting. Are you building up muscle first or focusing primarily on losing the extra that you said you had gained? I ask, because I want to do both IMMEDIATELY lol!! When I was better conditioned (stronger and leaner), I had to focus primarily on one or the other. I know that beginners can do both at the same time pretty well. I am wondering if someone who has to (sort of) start over can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. What is your approach? Thank you for sharing your story and your journey!

Both the old and new are spring mattresses. The new I also purchased a topper from Amazon that is 100% Natural Latex. I first went with Firm but had to return it and get a Medium because sleeping on my side would make my shoulder sore and arm fall asleep. I really love the topper! Let me know and I can provide a link if anyone is interested, or just search Amazon for Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper.
    All right.

Originally Posted by heartandsoul View Post
    Awesome that you are back on track after your injury! I was looking for a "comeback" journal, and found yours. (: I am also getting back full force after time off. I did not have an injury, but was not on point because of major life stresses. I am curious how you are doing your diet with your lifting. Are you building up muscle first or focusing primarily on losing the extra that you said you had gained? I ask, because I want to do both IMMEDIATELY lol!! When I was better conditioned (stronger and leaner), I had to focus primarily on one or the other. I know that beginners can do both at the same time pretty well. I am wondering if someone who has to (sort of) start over can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. What is your approach? Thank you for sharing your story and your journey!
    I've recomped being as heavy as 115kg bodyweight. It's not just for beginners and comebacks.

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Congratulations on the comeback progress!
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not “over the hill” yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Welcome back! I think after an injury we realize how important it is to stay healthy.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Originally Posted by heartandsoul View Post

Hey HeartandSoul,
    Sorry for my slow reply, work and home life have been absolutely crazy busy! I've been thankful I've still been able to make it to the gym. Although most people around me know how important it is to me now.
    So how's my diet going...I dropped 15lbs pretty quick, just shy of 3 weeks. I'm 6'3" and now 235. My weight has fluctuated up and down about 2lbs either way and holding. At first this was pretty frustrating. However, I've since become encouraged because my strength is returning quickly (still a long way to go), and I can tell in my chest and arms there is more muscle. That is the source of my encouragement for my weight not continuing to drop, there's more muscle that I can see visually and through strength. So I guess to answer your question, I think I am building muscle and losing fat at the same time.
    My goals are pretty simple. I want to get my strength back to where it was 2 years ago and my body fat back to a similar place high teens very low twenties. I'm just not interested, nor would my life allow me to, focus on a low body fat competition body. I want to be strong to play with my son and not "put my hip out" sort of thing. It was really disappointing when my back hurt so bad I couldn't play basketball with my son...heartbreaking really. So I want to ensure that isn't the case for as long as he still wants to play with me!

My current approach at the moment: I'm adjusting my diet, based on much of the advise I've received in this thread, as I'd like to lose about 1lb a week while also gaining muscle & strength. Thus far I've cut my coffee and creamer (yep still using creamer) by half and I plan to completely remove, I've removed the bacon from my morning and switched to 4 scrambled eggs with Tabasco. I also added a single protein shake about 1 hour before my workout. I've only made this change these changes this week so I'm curious what the results will be at the end of next week.

I think when you get back at it, if you haven't already, you'll be surprise how much faster the strength and muscle comes back vs how long it took to build it initially....I was!

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    Welcome back! I think after an injury we realize how important it is to stay healthy.
    You are SOOO right!

MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Welcome back. I'm kind of new around here, however you'll notice I joined in 2008 (I had 10 years off!) I get what you mean about putting on weight, that was the main motivation for me to start again.

Originally Posted by MrCarrot View Post
    Welcome back. I'm kind of new around here, however you'll notice I joined in 2008 (I had 10 years off!) I get what you mean about putting on weight, that was the main motivation for me to start again.
    It's really amazing how fast the weight goes on. The big problem I had was my mind set, I kept thinking I could eat like I was working out still and after you "get away" with it for a week or two you really believe it. That is until a few months go by and you look in the mirror! lol

MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It's really amazing how fast the weight goes on. The big problem I had was my mind set, I kept thinking I could eat like I was working out still and after you "get away" with it for a week or two you really believe it. That is until a few months go by and you look in the mirror! lol
    In fairness I lost my appetite for a while after I gave up. But 10 years is a long time and eventually I noticed my portion size increasing, but the killer was glasses of cola and chocolate every night, with takeaway meals 2 or 3 times a week! I'm ashamed really how bad it got, but fortunately I didn't leave it too late. I think the good thing for people like us, it's really easy to get back into it (past knowledge, muscle memory, confidence, etc)

Originally Posted by MrCarrot View Post
    In fairness I lost my appetite for a while after I gave up. But 10 years is a long time and eventually I noticed my portion size increasing, but the killer was glasses of cola and chocolate every night, with takeaway meals 2 or 3 times a week! I'm ashamed really how bad it got, but fortunately I didn't leave it too late. I think the good thing for people like us, it's really easy to get back into it (past knowledge, muscle memory, confidence, etc)
    Don't be ashamed, most of us have been there. I even tend to cycle a little up and down where I'm more disciplined and time where I just let loose a little and try not to worry about it. Although that drives my wife crazy when I get very strict on myself to make up for a week or two of being lazy. My wife is blessed with an amazing metabolism where she stays @130lbs no matter what or how much she eats...I get so jealous of it.

Good luck on your journey back! And hang in there through the Holidays. Me personally I'm going to try to enjoy the holidays and not be too strict on myself. It's important for me to enjoy family, friends, and life!

Registered User PowerIsNowledge's Avatar
    PowerIsNowledge will become famous soon enough. (+50) PowerIsNowledge will become famous soon enough. (+50) PowerIsNowledge will become famous soon enough. (+50) PowerIsNowledge will become famous soon enough. (+50) PowerIsNowledge will become famous soon enough. (+50) PowerIsNowledge will become famous soon enough. (+50) PowerIsNowledge will become famous soon enough. (+50) PowerIsNowledge will become famous soon enough. (+50) PowerIsNowledge will become famous soon enough. (+50) PowerIsNowledge will become famous soon enough. (+50) PowerIsNowledge will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Congrats man - I know the feeling of coming back is amazing. Feels like a journey worth making.