Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No fighting allowed on my thread :-))) Peace and love and thanks for all insight, always welcome

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by mamaherrera View Post
    so yeah. .. breath in as you're descending?? Or get it before you descend? sorry I'm so particular but I"m very anal on things like this. .. . . that's just me,
    You really are complicating this

Take a heavy squat just for example.

Get ready to do the squat
    Take a deep breath in.
    Then go down (while holding breath)
    Come back up really holding breath hard/tight and maybe allow a little air to escape (against strong resistance) as you near the top.
    Take a new lungful of air, hold and go down in the squat holding it, and repeat the rest as before.

It's not tai chi, you aren't breathing in and out in harmony with the moves. You are bracing your abdomen, core, back for support.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    thanks,you're so sweet, I think it's midlife crisis and I'm prone to injury as I have such bad body mechanics and then trying lately the VM, was making me dizzy so that has had me a bit worried and just looking for another safer option for me as far as breathing and taking care of my spine and my brain at the same time :-))
    You better be a woman.
    On the list for Bannukah

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    You better be a woman.
    Mama Herrera

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    Mama Herrera
    LMFAO I didn't even separated it I just read it as mamaherrera and didn't even think twice about the name itself
    On the list for Bannukah

mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50) mamaherrera will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    LMFAO I didn't even separated it I just read it as mamaherrera and didn't even think twice about the name itself
    Ok yes I"m glad you all figured out I'm a woman, so have some compassion. And sorry if i'm making it complicated but that's why I came to you all,, because I knwo you are the experts. I get different answers all the time. Tonight I asked a guy who does powerlifting, is a trainer, and he said that in the bodybuilding world, it's safe to breathe in on the descent and out of the return. But my husband says that doing that sounds risky for the spine. So now I just want to find a happy medium, where I feel good about what I"m doing and that I'm doing it in a way that's protecting myself as well. If I'm making it appear more complicated, it's only because I like lifting weights and want to stick with it, but I want to feel confident with my technique. So anyone that can give me a good happy me, thanks. I've heard of forced exhalation and breathing in on the descent.

OathofStone will become famous soon enough. (+50) OathofStone will become famous soon enough. (+50) OathofStone will become famous soon enough. (+50) OathofStone will become famous soon enough. (+50) OathofStone will become famous soon enough. (+50) OathofStone will become famous soon enough. (+50) OathofStone will become famous soon enough. (+50) OathofStone will become famous soon enough. (+50) OathofStone will become famous soon enough. (+50) OathofStone will become famous soon enough. (+50) OathofStone will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Very much a novice with zero expert advice on anything here.

Personally speaking at 39 just shy of 40, bad form and not enough rest really dummied me (per my recent posts)

At 33 I got in decent shape but it took 3 times the effort it did when I was younger, now I'm feeling like it's double or triple the effort it took me at 33.

Purely conjecture and recognizing the super fit people 10/20+ years on me I think age and body deterioration plays a big role too.

Ok yes I"m glad you all figured out I'm a woman, so have some compassion. And sorry if i'm making it complicated but that's why I came to you all,, because I knwo you are the experts. I get different answers all the time. Tonight I asked a guy who does powerlifting, is a trainer, and he said that in the bodybuilding world, it's safe to breathe in on the descent and out of the return. But my husband says that doing that sounds risky for the spine. So now I just want to find a happy medium, where I feel good about what I"m doing and that I'm doing it in a way that's protecting myself as well. If I'm making it appear more complicated, it's only because I like lifting weights and want to stick with it, but I want to feel confident with my technique. So anyone that can give me a good happy me, thanks. I've heard of forced exhalation and breathing in on the descent.
    glad you are a woman, can't imagine a man calling me "sweet"

Seriously though you are overthinking this. Unless you are lifting extremely heavy, just breathe normally. I have train many many many women and never had I ever had to teach them to breathe. I would be more concern with your form.
    On the list for Bannukah

Thanks and you are very sweet and I know Im overthinking, but its because ,y trainer insists I do vm. So breathe in as you descend, you dont need to take a breath in at top and hold it. And then exhale as you come up? So no breath holding?

supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) supramax has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks and you are very sweet and I know Im overthinking, but its because ,y trainer insists I do vm. So breathe in as you descend, you dont need to take a breath in at top and hold it. And then exhale as you come up? So no breath holding?
    Been answered a billion times already!

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You will soon see that most people around you actually want to be old.

Guys your age will complain of bad knees, bad backs, you name it. Cpap, high cholesterol, high bp, you name it.

they want an excuse to rot away and just sit on the couch and accept failure. If it wasnt for these bad knees I would run a marathon blah blah.

Just do what you want to do, train the way you want. Now keep in mind, just being a dickhead wont prevent injuries, they will come but you have to just plod along and find a work around.

Dave Draper has a great site dealing with nothing but old guys working around injuries so you arent alone.

The working with injuries is a real thing but its not something that you cannot deal with, You just have to train smart. Not saying to go light or weak, just maybe take an extra day off when you used to not to.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MCrow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    That depends on the person. If you are otherwise healthy and have good form you can lift into your 80's.

I think my time frame may be reduced because I have Scheuermann's Disease, Kyphosis and S****osis. I didn't know I had it until I broke my back in my late teens (compression fractures). I sorta avoid heavy squats and deads just because I've been advised against it.

But if you have an otherwise healthy spine and train properly you should be able to lift most of your life.
    Vikings--Wolves-Gophers
    ***United----MNUFC***
    *****Celiac Bruh*****

Thanks, so true but with positivity

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    38 is relatively young, I can't imagine worrying about potential issues from lifting at that age. I started at 49 and now at almost 51 I feel the same as I did in my 20’s other than some stiffness/flexibility. And I lift heavier and with more volume than I did in high school.
    Last edited by tblodg15; 11-10-2018 at 10:31 AM.
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I ran when I was young, and my knees felt as if they'd been punished. I gave that up and took up weight lifting. It's the best thing that ever happened to my knees.

I won't get into the breathing rules, you're getting plenty of guidance on that already, but as has been pointed out, 38 is still young, especially from a muscular strength standpoint. The first thing to go is speed and reaction time, but strength will stay with you much longer.

As a woman, lifting heavy -- for you -- is even more important as you age. Past menopause, many women especially start to deal with loss of bone density and the resulting fragility. Aerobic exercise doesn't have a huge effect on that. Resistance training does. You'll keep your muscles strong, your bones dense, and your organs vigorous. Aging is the best possible reason to keep lifting, not a reason to stop.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

very good points, all of it, and truly it's not that I feel old (well some days I do if i look in the mirror "-))) but mostly it's because of things you hear, injuries, my own injuries I've had already (due to bad imbalanaces and mobility) but I think I just needed a pep talk and to hear it from reality and not internet blogs. Thanks to all.

Thanks. I will definitely take a look. I also have my singing teacher telling me not tomdo it because its lots of pressure on vocal chords, so I was just looking for a happy medium.

OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PhantomMaxx again.

Thanks. I will definitely take a look. I also have my singing teacher telling me not tomdo it because its lots of pressure on vocal chords, so I was just looking for a happy medium.
    LOL your singer teacher? You can't mix up the two....
    On the list for Bannukah

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    LOL your singer teacher? You can't mix up the two....
    Why not?
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    Why not?
    I don't mean the actual singing I meant getting advice on breathing for working out from a singers perspective.
    On the list for Bannukah

Now I"m more confused then heck. so with sets of 5 reps, are you still safe if you breathe in going down, and bracing all the while, because if you're saying that even with good form, you can get injured, what is the best you can do to keep pressure down off eyes, vocal chords etc. and still keep spine safe?? Or the way Paul Chek says to breathe, which is breath in, brace, hold on the way down and then exhale in small amounts as you stand up?
    Please watch that video posted by Phantom Max. It not only describes what to do, but also why. (Or to spoil the ending... same as you say Paul Check advises)

will do! thanks

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by supramax View Post
    but maintain that form breakdown is the primary cause.
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I strongly feel that muscle imbalance is the primary cause of most injuries.

Just my honest opinion.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)