Kyle10101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kyle10101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kyle10101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kyle10101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kyle10101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kyle10101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kyle10101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kyle10101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kyle10101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kyle10101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Kyle10101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Alter egos; do they work?

I have watched different interviews of celebrities and athletes using alter egos to get success. I struggle with depression, anxiety and lack of confidence. I am contemplating creating an alter ego and tricking my mind to make myself less anxious, depressed and have more confidence so I can start being more productive. Has anyone tried this and if so what was your experience? Any tips on how to create an alter ego and what traits your alter ego should possess?

irmocool is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) irmocool is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) irmocool is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) irmocool is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) irmocool is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) irmocool is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) irmocool is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) irmocool is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) irmocool is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) irmocool is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) irmocool is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    yes, fake it to you make it. thing about alter egos are they become real
    Cutting season:
    -------------------------- starting: 209 lb ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( · ͜͞ʖ·) =ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ goal: 175 lb---------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------current: 189.4--------------------------------------------------

etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Kyle10101 View Post
    I have watched different interviews of celebrities and athletes using alter egos to get success. I struggle with depression, anxiety and lack of confidence. I am contemplating creating an alter ego and tricking my mind to make myself less anxious, depressed and have more confidence so I can start being more productive. Has anyone tried this and if so what was your experience? Any tips on how to create an alter ego and what traits your alter ego should possess?
    This is an interesting question! Athletes have long been using sports psychology techniques such as " mental visualization" and positive reinforcement self-talk to help them achieve their goals. Celebrities such as Beyoncé, for example, has admitted to adopting a "stage persona" she named "Sasha Fierce" to get her into prime performance mode! I think a lot of people would say there is real psychological science behind some of the best success stories or results.

You, or anyone, can definitely train your mind to reduce those anxious thoughts that negatively affect performance. One of the ways is through "cognitive behavioral therapy," where you simply and systematically "catch" yourself thinking negative and defeating thoughts, and then challenging and replacing them with more realistic thought patterns. Example: You're recovering from your last set, anxiously waiting for your turn at the bar. Your head automatically goes to, ' Schit! What if I fail on this weight in front of these guys? My heart is pounding, my legs are shaking- why am I being a wussy?" You have to mindfully stay in the present to catch that negative voice so you can immediately challenge it with, " I've done this weight recently. I did 2 sets of 8 reps with good form...I've got this... just breathe.." The trick is be aware of the negative thoughts, confronting their "validity" with objective facts and then not giving counterproductive anxiety any power by ignoring it.

Sometimes it takes only a little pep talk. Sometimes it takes continuous and gradual desensitization to reduce/eliminate those self-sabotaging thoughts. But it's quite common, and with practice and patience anyone can reduce their anxiety levels when it comes to performance. Keep in mind, healthy levels of anxiety and adrenaline can help increase your performance. The key is recognizing the difference and applying the techniques so your "alter ego" can always be true confidence.
    Last edited by etet1919; 11-24-2018 at 09:01 AM. Reason: grammer