Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)

Ordinary guy, lifting at 60

Well, Kaz says I should start my own workout journal thread. I tried to object since my lifts aren’t that heavy, but when Kaz says to do something, resistance is futile.

I'm going to reserve a couple of posts at the beginning, since it will take a while to introduce myself, and then start posting workouts. Nothing great, but better than I used to be.

Background:

I started out as a tall, skinny ectomorph. My dad bought me a hundred pound "Dan Lurie" cast iron weight set in high school, but I didn't use it much then. Around age 23 I was renting a house with three other guys and set up the weights and a bench in the basement. The basement had a dirt floor and was only about five feet tall, so I couldn't do much besides bench press and seated dumbbell curls. One of my housemates gave me a lot of grief and the sarcastic nickname of "Scrap Iron" but I did make some progress. I was really happy the first time I benched the whole set, and treated myself to my first pair of 25-pound plates, which I had to lug back on a bus, since I had no car. I found out it was nice to leave the 25's on the bar and leave the smaller weights on the dumbbells, so as soon as I could bench 125, I bought another pair of 25's and lugged them back on the bus.

When I got married at age 28, I moved out into an apartment with four equal-sized rooms, but my wife was still living in another state, so I was able to set them up as a living room, kitchen, bedroom, and weight room. I started lifting a bit more seriously (and even had high enough ceilings to stand up during workouts!). At age 30 I was hired near her and moved to her apartment. I didn't bring my own weights, but I did have access to three gyms and started working out somewhat seriously. (Our apartment complex had a small workout room with treadmills and a Universal gym, I had the university gym where I worked, and I also joined a full-scale commercial gym near the apartment. This is the period when I set my highest previous personal records.

When we moved into our first and then second house, I was able to spread out in the basement and bought more weights to be able to have more bars set up at the same time. By buying up second-hand weight sets, I had lots of dumbbells, so eventually had about six pairs set up for different weights. Still, with early career and then child-rearing, I didn't work out enough to make any real progress.
    Last edited by HomeGymChains; 10-28-2018 at 04:11 PM.
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not “over the hill” yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621

MesoPeaks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MesoPeaks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MesoPeaks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MesoPeaks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MesoPeaks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MesoPeaks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MesoPeaks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MesoPeaks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MesoPeaks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MesoPeaks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MesoPeaks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    60 y/o

Good luck Sir!

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)

What's all this about CHAINS???

It's my unique and cheap home-grown safety solution.

About two years ago I started getting more serious about working out at home. I lost control of a bench press and dropped a 170-pound barbell on my neck -- not onto my chest, but straight down onto my neck. I am extremely lucky to still be alive, with only a few days of black-and-blue bruises. I resolved never to be in that situation again.

I decided to use chains as a safety system for bench press. The length of the chain is set about half an inch below touch, so if I get in trouble I can slide out under it. The elastic cords keep the links headed upward from the bar to keep the lift smoother and quieter.

Then I decided that I could also use it for squats, which I never used to do at home. Not as good as a real squat rack, since the bar starting position is at the bottom of the lift instead of the top of the lift, but hey, it's a technique, and I'm finally doing squats at home. Here's a picture with the bar hanging at the bottom of my squat setting, before I move the bench out of the way.

Then I got tired of fussing with the "quick links" that needed a wrench to tighten and loosen, so I replaced them with "grab hooks" for instant length adjustments.

And hey, as long as I had the framework up there, I added a pulley.

Elsewhere in the basement, I have a powerlifting bar for deadlifts, an e-z curl bar, and dumbbells. I am working on getting more space cleared out and organized. I also plan to buy an incline/decline bench and a real rack.

As far as why I’ve stayed with standard plates instead of Olympic...

I had bought up three sets of cheap used standard plates over the years, which was cool because I was able to set up five pairs of dumbbells at different weights so I never had to change plates during a workout. When I started lifting more, I gradually needed to buy a few additional 25-pound plates per year. When I got even more serious in the past two years, I considered buying an Olympic set, but instead I bought two standard-plate powerlifting bars that I am EXTREMELY happy to have. (Seriously, it became awkward and dangerous to be using over 200 pounds on the bars that came with the 100 pound standard sets. I’ve had 475 on the powerlifting bars and they felt completely secure.) Just recently added a couple of 50-pound plates to make a nicer starting height for deadlifts, but otherwise a stack of 25s on the bar is fine for me. So I’m a happy camper with standard plates, but that makes me unusual.
    Last edited by HomeGymChains; 10-28-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Originally Posted by MesoPeaks View Post
    60 y/o

Good luck Sir!
    Thanks!!!

🥋 A Karate Kid age 64 🔥 Samraiwise's Avatar
    Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz
    Can you believe this guy? Where have you been hiding all those years, eh?

You will be a great asset, actually already are a great asset but not here until now. Some already knew you've been very active that home gym thread.

Thanks for the great story of your home gym (and your wife, your marriage has been a far happier one than mine it seems, dammn. ).

Your home gym history reminds me of mine, at age 24 I didn't have my own car and with no internet shopping these days, I bought plates from the shops in the city and brought them back a few at a time by riding a commuter bus back from work. That is my bitter but at the same time the fondest memories. Above all, your safety consciousness and will of actually doing something about it is what we should learn more from you. *bow*

Welcome and good luck, this is awesome to us all!! Pray stay here as long as you can and share your story as many as you..... remember!?

BTW, can I call you, SIR!?
    🌺 Lauren Brooks Kelly (snailsrus) - Jul 25, 1991 – Jan 29, 2022
    Thread: RIP Snails : https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181070293&page=100

⭐ Samurai Break: 140kg(308lb) Failed Bench Press Recovery Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8eIkpZ29u0
    ⭐ Over 35 Journals > Samurai, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4832373&page=200
    📌 Please Call me Kaz, a 64-year-old 🥋 Karate Kid in Tokyo.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Samraiwise View Post
    Can you believe this guy? Where have you been hiding all those years, eh?

You will be a great asset, actually already are a great asset but not here until now. Some already knew you've been very active that home gym thread.

Thanks for the great story of your home gym (and your wife, your marriage has been a far happier one than mine it seems, dammn. ).
    Thank you for your kind words and long-time encouragement!

I’m not quite sure where you got the “happier marriage” impression. Perhaps I should talk about how it’s taken until now to not have to argue each time I want to go downstairs to work out. Even so, I still get hassles if it seems like I’m working out more than a half hour. (All my venting though is a topic for another sort of website.)

Your home gym history reminds me of mine, at age 24 I didn't have my own car and with no internet shopping these days, I bought plates from the shops in the city and brought them back a few at a time by riding a commuter bus back from work. That is my bitter but at the same time the fondest memories. Above all, your safety consciousness and will of actually doing something about it is what we should learn more from you. *bow*

Welcome and good luck, this is awesome to us all!! Pray stay here as long as you can and share your story as many as you..... remember!?

BTW, can I call you, SIR!?
    Thanks again for the warm welcome! You can call me whatever you want, but I will never look as good or be able to lift as much as you, so perhaps then I will need to call you “SENSEI”.

Current status

During my prior major workout period around age 30, I did most of my lifting on machines, so the only PR I know from those days was a 100 pound curl, which was pretty good for my ectomorph-self. More recently, using home weights before the safety chains, I would rep 125 for bench press, but was reluctant to work heavier very often (for good reason it turned out!)

Two years ago, after adding the safety chains and buying the powerlifting bars, I started ramping up my lifting, working heavier on bench press and finally starting to do lower body work at home.

I first focused on powerlifting-type training because I really wanted to hit a couple of one-rep-max goals: 200 pounds for squat, 200 pounds for deadlift, and 101 pounds for curl and 200 pounds for bench, which I finally did the week of my 60th birthday.

Now that I made those ego-1RM, I’m trying to stay injury-free and add volume and intensity like two of my heroes here, Kaz and ElrondHubbard.

My bench is now 175 for 10 reps. I have had knee surgery and a severe back injury in the past, so I don’t plan to push the 1RM for those, but my squats are up to 195 for 3 reps.
    Last edited by HomeGymChains; 10-29-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Monday October 8, 2018

Dumbbell bench warmup 32.5 x 20
    Bench 135 x 4,10,12,12,15,15
    Pulldown 125 x 10,10,10,10,10,8
    Curl 52.5 x 10,10,10,10,8,8

Wednesday October 10, 2018

Bench 130 x 10,20,15,20
    Curl 52.5 x 10,12,10,12
    Deadlift 125 x 5,5,5
    Squat 60 x 10,10,10
    Overhead press 60 x 5,10,10

Monday October 15, 2018

Bench 125 x 16,30; 135 x 20,20
    Curl 62.5 x 8,8,8,8
    Deadlift 125 x 5,5,5
    Squat 60 x 12,15,20
    Lat pulldown 125 x 10,10,10
    Calf raise 60 x 20,20

Friday October 19, 2018
    short workout

Deadlift 125 x 5,5,5,1,1
    Standing calf raise 125 x 10,20,25
    Bench 135 x 3; 155 x 3; 175 x 10

Saturday October 27, 2018

I had packed away the bench and my deadlift setup in preparation for a contractor to replace the furnace in the basement. So I tried to think up what I could do with just my EZ curl bar and the pulley that would be fast and high volume. I just grabbed the bar and just kept lifting, just transitioning from one exercise to the next.

Curl 62.5 x 8,8,8,8,8,8
    Overhead press 62.5 x 12,12,12,12,12
    Squat 62.5 x 12,12,12,12,15
    Standing calf raise 62.5 x 12,12,20,20,20,20
    Narrow grip pulldown 125 x 12; 100 x 12,15,15,15
    Deadlift 62.5 x 12
    Last edited by HomeGymChains; 10-29-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Let’s get one thing straight before we go any farther, HGC. You are NOT an ordinary guy! If you were, we’d be seeing no sign of you in this here forum. I’m really impressed by both your perseverance and your resourcefulness. I never would have thought of the kind of chain setup you’re using. It’s great when we feel safe enough under the bar to take some risks and push a bit harder. Your close call made me feel squeamish for a little while!

Nice to have your journal here—I’m going to enjoy checking in!

*edit: And it’s smart of you to listen to Kaz. He’s a veritable font (not Comic Sans) of wisdom, and of literature!
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Thank you for the kind welcome for my thread! Would rep you, but on spread.

(And nice joke about font of wisdom!)

Tuesday October 30, 2018

Furnace installation was smooth, but didn’t get to set up bench and deadlift yet, and I realized how much I liked the previous workout: high volume and no rest time got my heart pumping, used the rubber-coated plates so I could do a fun set in five minutes without my wife hearing the clinking of plates and getting a chance to complain, a bit later head downstairs for another silent set. A stealth workout!!!

So I increased the bar to 75 pounds and did that sort of workout again...

Curl 75 x 5,5,5,5,5,5,5
    Overhead press 75 x 10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10
    Squat 75 x 15,15,15,15,15,15,15,15,15
    Standing calf raise 75 x 20,20,20,20,20,20,20,20,20
    Deadlift 75 x 15

According to BodySpace, this was my highest weight total for a home workout day at 33,825 pounds lifted. (Looking back, I have one higher at 38,000 from a commercial gym. Not really a fair comparison, since I didn’t get credit for my body weight for the squats and calves at home. In the gym, I got to count reps at 300 pounds for leg press and 250 for seated calf raise. Nevertheless, I’ll try to beat that total at home someday.)
    Last edited by HomeGymChains; 10-30-2018 at 09:26 PM.

🥋 A Karate Kid age 64 🔥 Samraiwise's Avatar
    Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by HomeGymChains View Post
    Now that I made those ego-1RM, I’m trying to stay injury-free and add volume and intensity like two of my heroes here, Kaz and ElrondHubbard.

My bench is now 175 for 10 reps. I have had knee surgery and a severe back injury in the past, so I don’t plan to push the 1RM for those, but my squats are up to 195 for 3 reps.
    My current bench 12 RM is 176 lbs (80 kg) and not so different from yours, 1RM is a very unique # and the one thing no calculator can calculate. You either can lift the load or not, you know what I mean!? Besides your hero is always no one but yourself, sir (you are a year older than me, right!? )

BTW, here in this "Over 35 Workout Journal" section, there always are many good-hearted-shy-observers, who just watch over us but never post/reply. I am sure that the gist of your home gym philosophy is the very insight some of them have been seeking all these years. Enjoy the great responsibility, you certainly deserve it, my friend, Sir !!

* Do not discouraged by the "Replies" but actually it's the "Views" you should count. Good luck, my friend.
    Last edited by Samraiwise; 10-31-2018 at 05:42 PM.
    🌺 Lauren Brooks Kelly (snailsrus) - Jul 25, 1991 – Jan 29, 2022
    Thread: RIP Snails : https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181070293&page=100

⭐ Samurai Break: 140kg(308lb) Failed Bench Press Recovery Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8eIkpZ29u0
    ⭐ Over 35 Journals > Samurai, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4832373&page=200
    📌 Please Call me Kaz, a 64-year-old 🥋 Karate Kid in Tokyo.

Next goals

After I hit my bench press and curl 1RM goals just before I turned 60 in September, Kaz told me I should set new goals. (And when he says to do something, resistance is futile! )

I plan to work more for size and symmetry than 1RM this coming year, so after thinking about it, I have the idea that I should aim to 1RM my bodyweight in those main lifts mentioned above (lat pulldown, squat, deadlift, and bench) by age 61. I am pretty optimistic about being able to make them, and it gives a secret added incentive: Right now my scale gives me readings from 231 to 235. This goal will give me an additional incentive to lose a few pounds by then.

In addition, I will aim for a curl of 105. (I don’t want to set a goal more aggressive than that, since the state record for my age bracket is 118, and it took me about a year to go from an easy 90 to finally hit 101.)

Short, odd workout

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

This workout is short, since much of the time was used to start restoring my workout spaces after the furnace contractors.

This workout is also odd, and I blame Kaz! Until last week, I had planned to keep this upcoming year focused on good overall habits and balanced full-body improvement rather than chasing 1RM goals. But since he had suggested I set some goals for before I hit age 61, last week I blithely enough set some 1RM goals. Unfortunately, I then immediately started to plan how to reach them as fast as possible, and today was my first workout after daydreaming for a week about reaching those new goals.

So it’s not really Kaz’s fault!!! I just set bad goals. Next time I will perhaps set 10RM goals, since I am too scared and careless about my eating habits to set body composition goals.

Lat pulldown
    100 pounds x 10 reps
    150 x 3
    200 x 1
    235 x 1 (PR and goal for the year!)

EZ-bar curl
    62.5 lbs x 8,8,8
    (Lighter, since the previous workout with so many reps at 75 pounds wasn’t good for my elbow)

Deadlift
    125 x 5,5

Standing calf raise
    100 pounds x 10 reps
    150 x 3
    200 x 1
    235 x 2 (PR. Not really a goal, but just another way to lift the stupid magic number of 235. <sigh>)

I really had promised myself I would start lifting smarter in the upcoming year. <double sigh>

Slightly short, more sensible

Thursday November 8, 2018

Workout was slightly short since I had to set up bench area after the furnace installation. Looks like I was able to get the 1RM crazy out of my system during the last workout, since I did manage to keep things more sensible tonight. To protect my joints and tendons I plan to build up my volume at these weights before going heavier. (Deadlift especially, due to prior injury.)

Bench 100x10; 150x4; 180x10 PR; 160 x 10,8
    Curl 62.5 x 8,8,8,8
    Deadlift 125 x 5,5,5,5
    Standing calf raise 125 x 10,10,10,10

StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Awesome no-nonsense setup you have there. Kudos for kicking ass at your age. I hope to get there as well.
    Lifting. Hockey. Headbanging.

My Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175144571

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    HGC,

I'm a fan of homemade gym equipment too. I actually have a squat rack made from 4x4's (the vertical members) and 2x6's (the horizontal members). I've made gym rings from pvc pipe heated in an oven and bent around a paint can before it cooled, and I made 70# dumbbells out of cinder blocks for farmer's carries

Keep up the great work!
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Payton1221 View Post
    HGC,

I'm a fan of homemade gym equipment too. I actually have a squat rack made from 4x4's (the vertical members) and 2x6's (the horizontal members). I've made gym rings from pvc pipe heated in an oven and bent around a paint can before it cooled, and I made 70# dumbbells out of cinder blocks for farmer's carries

Keep up the great work!
    That's an ingenious idea, Mark. I'd have never thought of PVC rings.
    -Voltaire

Saturday November 10, 2018

Squat
    100 x 10,10
    150 x 10
    200 x 3 PR
    235 x 1 PR
    200 x 10 PR, x10

Deadlift 125 x 5,5,5,5,5,5

Standing calf raise 125 x 10,10,10,10,10,10

Happy I’m getting my volume up (19,585 pounds according to BodySpace).

Happy to have checked off the second of my five goals before age 61. (Squat 235)

Happier to start doing higher intensity squats (200 x 10 PR). (I clearly have some nervousness to get over about using heavier weights, since as soon as I found out that 235 wasn’t so bad, I did 200 x 10 twice, compared with my previous heaviest reps of 195 x 3.)

Rant about personal trainer

I had worked with a personal trainer during a three-month trial membership at a commercial gym a few years back. We got along very well and he seemed very knowledgeable about how to train with careful recovery from my prior knee and back troubles. The only reason I didn’t continue with him is that I would have had to continue my membership (probably about $30/month + some occasional fee for training sessions).

Recently I’ve been getting cheery broadcast emails from him every few weeks about general training advice. I finally realized he must be trying to drum up business, so I asked him where he is working now. He replied that he has his own gym now! and could set up a much better program for me! I emailed that since I work out at home, I would only want a few sessions spread out over the year to set up a diet and exercise program, do periodic body composition assessments, and check my form on exercises. He said that would be great! He could certainly accommodate that! No problem! Only $199/month.

After I told him what I thought of that price, he hasn’t emailed back. Oh well — maybe after I hit the lottery.

Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Payton1221 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    That's an ingenious idea, Mark. I'd have never thought of PVC rings.
    I saw it on the internet. If memory serves, I filled it with sand and then duct taped the ends before putting it in the oven on a cookie sheet to soften (can't remember temp nor time though). I then brought it out with heavy gloves or pot holders and wrapped it around a gallon paint can because it was a good diameter for the rings. The sand inside ensures that the pipe's cross-section is rolled somewhat uniformly instead of being mashed flat in the few higher stress area. The paint can with the rolled pipe was placed in the sink and I had my wife spray some water on it (watch the steam!) to quickly cool it.

Originally Posted by HomeGymChains View Post
    He said that would be great! He could certainly accommodate that! No problem! Only $199/month.
    It's like CrossFit has significantly increased the value of a workout to many, when in reality, the basics can be reduced to three big ideas that shouldn't require "professional oversight" for most people: lifting, nutrition, and rest.

* Lifting: use primarily (if not exclusively for a while) compound lifts while striving for progressive overload over time

* Nutrition: Eat below maintenance to lose weight; eat above to gain; and eat sufficient protein, fat, micronutrients, and fiber

* Rest: your body needs time to heal. Deload occasionally, and if you hit a plateau, reduce the weights 15% and slowly work back up to see if you can break that plateu.
    Pull-Up PR: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177233951

Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Filmbuff81 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    But think about all the great bosu ball lifts he could program For you!

I’ve quite neglected shoulders over the years, so I thought I would try facepulls for the first time.

Facepulls 60 x 12,12,12,12
    Upright row 62.5 x 10
    Shrug 125 x 12
    Side raise 10ea x 8; 5ea x 10,10
    Dumbbell shoulder press 32.5 x 10

Unhappy Personal apology to Kaz

I’m extremely sorry for my doubly-inappropriate attempt at humor. It was not representative of my immense respect for you.

Won’t happen again.

One month layoff due to personal, medical, and family issues. Restarting slowly...

Thursday December 13, 2018

Deadlift
    125 x 5,5

Bench
    100 x 5,5,5
    150 x 5
    175 x 3
    185 x 5,6 (PR)

Future posts will probably be infrequent and irregular.

I know those things can sneak up on us, HGC. It will certainly happen again when you least expect it. Glad you're back, though -- I'd rather your future posts be frequent than regular!
    -Voltaire

Thanks for the encouragement!

Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Deadlift
    125 x 5,5
    145 x 5,5,5
    (Raising reps weight. Will see how back injury site holds up.)

Curl
    65.5 x 8,7,7,7,6
    (Raising reps weight. Will see how elbow tendonitis holds up.)

Bench
    100 x 5,10
    150 x 5
    170 x 2
    190 x 7 PR
    (Just to celebrate the new year. And push toward this year’s BP goal of 235.)

Dumbbell bench
    32.5 x 25