stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

So where do I start

So well firstly hello.
    Been reading This forum for a week or so and thought I’d finally take the plunge and join .
    so a friend of mine has been hitting the gym a lot, completely changed his diet and well couldn’t believe it when I seen him and the strange thing was he weighed the same but was like in real good shape so been speaking to him quite a bit recently as I said I wanted to change the way I look and as well I’m 40 years old and thought better late then never lol.
    so his advice has been pretty much what is said here a lot, good diet and stick to your Goal and take it a step at a time and slowly but surly you’ll get there but it won’t change over night but you have to start somewhere.

so about me I’m 40 years old weigh 207 lbs as of 4 weeks ago and height is 5”9 and well have a fair bit of fat unfortunately lol so joined a gym about 4 weeks ago now I hate gyms well for the simple reason i just felt out of place like what the hell im I doing but as time as gone on it’s got better I work nights so been going after work 3 times a week mainly doing weights but just trying to get into the routine of going really rather then just driving past it diet I believe my calorie maintance level is 2,500 so been cutting that down to 2,000

ive been really good sticking to it only thing I do feel I have trouble with is my protein intake like trying to take in about 150g but I’d say I’m only hitting 100g don’t take protein shakes should that be something I should look into?
    use to have like McDonald’s twice a week crisps loads of coke and Pepsi but completely cut all that out

i now weigh 200lbs so like how much do I need to get down to I did try to enclose a pic or when I started a month ago and me now and also a pic of what kinda look I wanna achieve but couldn’t seem to add pic? thanks for your patience as I I’m sure answered all these questions a million times but it seems a very helpful and insightful site

*was able to add pics in progress
    Last edited by stephens799; 10-21-2018 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Photo

shellymcdonald is not very well liked. (-100) shellymcdonald is not very well liked. (-100) shellymcdonald is not very well liked. (-100) shellymcdonald is not very well liked. (-100) shellymcdonald is not very well liked. (-100) shellymcdonald is not very well liked. (-100) shellymcdonald is not very well liked. (-100) shellymcdonald is not very well liked. (-100) shellymcdonald is not very well liked. (-100) shellymcdonald is not very well liked. (-100) shellymcdonald is not very well liked. (-100)
    ...snip....
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 10-22-2018 at 04:50 AM. Reason: irrelevant supp nonsense
    [no advertising in signature - read the forum rules]

JSim83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JSim83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JSim83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JSim83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JSim83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JSim83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JSim83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JSim83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JSim83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JSim83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JSim83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Where do you start?

Start by reading this thread: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=165843261

How much do you need to cut?

Well, for your starting weight, your BMI is 30.6, which puts you to the obese category and since you are new to lifting and you don't have much muscle mass, I think you should drop enough weight to put you to the "normal BMI" category. BMI is not perfect by any means, but I think it applies pretty well for regular people who does not lift weights. Therefore you are most likely looking at dropping down to 150-160 lbs.

Where to get protein?

There is loads of foods that are high in protein. Use your imagination and do some research. Tuna, salmon, chicken, beef, pork, eggs, cottage cheese etc. just to name a few from my diet.
    My fat loss log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173521121

stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10) stephens799 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you for the replies.

So Drop to 150-160 so I’m looking at dropping 40-50lbs ouch lol I’d be looking at next year wouldn’t I to get down to that weight?
    I’ve done diets before but like crash dieting I guess it’s only now I realise that it was the wrong way to go about it like feel like this is the way to go.
    I’ll look into getting some protein shakes like just to be in shape and have a athletic physique would be amazing lol

BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by stephens799 View Post
    Thank you for the replies.

So Drop to 150-160 so I’m looking at dropping 40-50lbs ouch lol I’d be looking at next year wouldn’t I to get down to that weight?
    I’ve done diets before but like crash dieting I guess it’s only now I realise that it was the wrong way to go about it like feel like this is the way to go.
    I’ll look into getting some protein shakes like just to be in shape and have a athletic physique would be amazing lol
    Ignore the 1st reply to you.

Read the stickies, do your best to get nutritional goals met via whole foods. "Supplements" are so named for a reason.
    Old, but not obsolete.
    Geezer Crew

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by shellymcdonald View Post
    Hello Stephens!
    First of all - its never too late to start!
    Great thing that you cut off the junk food and drinks. I would suggest keep taking around 2500 calories a day, but focusing on high quality food and very important - take protein powder and BCAA's.
    If you are wondering what king of protein and bcaa's to take, I would suggest the gold standart protein on optimum nutrition and Amino X on BSN.
    Keep working at least 3 times a week and you will be great!
    Best of luck
    Another fail post by you
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by BS57 View Post
    Ignore the 1st reply to you.

Read the stickies, do your best to get nutritional goals met via whole foods. "Supplements" are so named for a reason.
    Yeah I’ve been reading through them I don’t know if this sounds stupid just not trying to confuse myself like diet,routine,cut,bulk,reps what excercises to do, like I’m at 200lbs from what I’ve read get a good routine going continue Heathly diet with a calorie deficit of around 500 a day get down to a decent weight and will hopefully see some results and see where I go from there guess I’m trying to break it down into stages lol

I do have one question have people ever experienced like issues with diets ie. so my wife isn’t on a diet likes to binge out every now and then we have 2 kids so like to eat out now and then when I go out I find I’m either eating completely different to them healthier option or say she will cook for them and I’ll make myself something for myself because I’m trying to stick to my diet I do feel she’s starting to get a little fed up of it lol

BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah I’ve been reading through them I don’t know if this sounds stupid just not trying to confuse myself like diet,routine,cut,bulk,reps what excercises to do, like I’m at 200lbs from what I’ve read get a good routine going continue Heathly diet with a calorie deficit of around 500 a day get down to a decent weight and will hopefully see some results and see where I go from there guess I’m trying to break it down into stages lol

I do have one question have people ever experienced like issues with diets ie. so my wife isn’t on a diet likes to binge out every now and then we have 2 kids so like to eat out now and then when I go out I find I’m either eating completely different to them healthier option or say she will cook for them and I’ll make myself something for myself because I’m trying to stick to my diet I do feel she’s starting to get a little fed up of it lol
    You'll only be confused if you make yourself so. Things are spelled-out here in the stickies, all you have to do is follow their direction. If there's specific something you don't understand, come back here and ask.

I see you have pics in your BS Profile, and you definitely need to cut. If you're looking for a program, I've been using AllPro Beginner, just started my 4th cycle this AM. I'm cutting as well, lol...even though I've gained a couple pounds in the past 2 weeks. There's clear instructions on how the program works, just use it as it's laid-out:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=169172473

You'll have to be patient, otherwise you'll be like some others here who workout 3 times, and wonder why they haven't lost 15% bf and have a "6 pack" yet, therefore gaining the attention of every supermodel within a 500 mile radius.

Regarding eating out, I wouldn't worry about a meal a week, as long as you accurately track your daily intake. You can even drop a hundred or 200 cals a day if you
    know you'll be exceeding your daily limit on the weekend outing. Main thing is, if you drop a bit (like 1 pound, or close to it) weekly. if you go 2-4 weeks, and have maintained or gained, what you're doing isn't working, so you need to reevaluate and make appropriate changes.

You can still go out, and limit your intake. Going to the boofay doesn't require 6 plates, and 2 trips to the desert bar. I would think your wife would be happy you plan to take better care of yourself, and that said....tread lightly. She may not be interested in making any changes in her lifestyle, and could very well piss her off when she starts seeing changes in you. It could either motivate her....act as a wedge, or maybe be indifferent. Point is, don't push her towards anything, let her see you do it, again, maybe she'll follow suite, maybe not.

You can eat how you please, even if it requires you handling your own meal prep. Learn how/why.....and you can answer her questions should she become curious.
    Old, but not obsolete.
    Geezer Crew

Really appreciate that advice and shall try and put into practice and yeah the hope is she kinda jumps on board and that it could be a better life style change for the both of us.

So I’ll continue with diet I’m still losing around 1-2lbs a week so will try keep this up with also going to the gym and see where it takes me

So I’m gonna start the all pro next week beginner I’m still losing weight but at around maybe 1lb a week which I’m ok with slow and steady I guess lol

I’m looking at buying a barbell and some dumbbells the set has weights of around 70kg I’ve never done squats with weights before so thought it would help when I’m not able to get to the gym is this a good idea or overkill and do I just try and start doing squats with a really manageable weight? And just take it from there
    Advice much appreciated

So I’m gonna start the all pro next week beginner I’m still losing weight but at around maybe 1lb a week which I’m ok with slow and steady I guess lol

I’m looking at buying a barbell and some dumbbells the set has weights of around 70kg I’ve never done squats with weights before so thought it would help when I’m not able to get to the gym is this a good idea or overkill and do I just try and start doing squats with a really manageable weight? And just take it from there
    Advice much appreciated
    Get a 300 pound Olympic Barbell/Plates....you can find a set for $200 (I bought a set at that price months ago at Dicks). You can skip the dumbells for now, as AP doesn't require them. Get a decent rack and bench, (look at SprawlMart online if on a budget). Personally I'd rather have a home gym, much more convenient, and no waiting, lol. Makes it easier to not find an excuse to not "go to the gym".

ETA: I got this for $200

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fuel-Pure...Bench/51879531

Start doing squats with body weight while you're getting equipped, then the empty bar, then add weight as per AP. Be sure to watch videos for proper form, forget weight, get your form right, then weight.
    Old, but not obsolete.
    Geezer Crew

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Fail post
    He isn't here to give advice, he's a snake oil salesman
    Old, but not obsolete.
    Geezer Crew

Jameskofi is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi, Stephens
    A few months ago I was fat and I honestly did not like what I saw in the mirror, but I took courage and I started doing gym and I started losing weight I also had some help, do not get demoralized and trained hard

So it’s been a month since I’ve been on my diet and done my first week of allpro work out started to see some gains in what I can lift not a lot but progress all the same I’ve started to see a difference pic wise in weight lose just slow but slow and steady wins the race I guess lol

Started at 207lbs never done weights
    Now at 195lbs updated pic in my progress pic just keep losing while lifting I’m guessing

So it’s been a month since I’ve been on my diet and done my first week of allpro work out started to see some gains in what I can lift not a lot but progress all the same I’ve started to see a difference pic wise in weight lose just slow but slow and steady wins the race I guess lol

Started at 207lbs never done weights
    Now at 195lbs updated pic in my progress pic just keep losing while lifting I’m guessing
    Congrats! Things go the way you want, once you understand the basics. It is (as it should be) a slow process, which is why patience and persistence are a couple important things to remember.

Just an FYI, AllPro will begin to get tougher, so be sure in advance, you're familiar with the program protocol in dealing with failed test day reps, which will happen at some point.

Keep on keepin' on!
    Old, but not obsolete.
    Geezer Crew