boogeymaster is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile Question regarding saftey?

Hey everyone. I'm doing research and was curious to see how safe people feel working out alone. I wanted to know if you ever feel comfortable doing maxes or lifting heavy at alone, or if there are ever instances where you feel unsafe working out alone. Any insight is appreciated!

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I feel that it's normal to expect the body to be able to control the weight given that it's within and including your one rep max range. Getting the body mechanics familiarized is probably part of that, but your muscles are doing what they're built to do.
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

my non-edited 'before'pic etet1919's Avatar
    etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's a good question. This is a matter of knowing what you're capable of doing, and that comes from gaining experience in the gym and developing a high level of "body awareness." Body awareness, for me, means, instinctively knowing just how low to go while squatting heavy on the hack squat machine or maintaining proper form doing heavy DB shoulder presses while some "dumbbell" steps in front of me to block my vision.

How long have you been in the gym? You can start building strength, but don't strive for 1 RM, if you're new. Always go with a weight you're confident you can do (if you don't have a spotter) for at least 8-10 reps. That's to play it safe.

I, myself, started out training in the 6-8 rep range. That's where I felt most comfortable, but I know everyone has their own "comfort zones." I can honestly say after 14 years of hard progressive work, because of some reoccurring injuries, my natural confidence has taken a huge hit recently. And that thought alone scares the hell out of me. Imagine feeling completely confident in your abilities, and then, BAM - anticipated and limiting injury sets you back again and again... . And you're left stewing over the setback, because much of your self-identity was always wrapped up in fitness and athletics. Every time I go to the gym with the intent to push myself to the max (6-8 reps, now), I experience intense anxiety now. But I also know a lot of that is mental. If I have enough natural adrenaline, I can push past the negative feelings and do what I had intended to do.

A good rule of thumb is to have a competent spotter if you're unsure while lifting heavy. Experience in knowing one's own capabilities , common sense and feeling "in the flow" will help determine whether you feel "safe" or not. I hope I made sense or helped in any way.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It's called a power rack.

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    And then again, if you're lucky to get on it, there's THIS option... Thanks for reminding us.

Gayle1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gayle1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gayle1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gayle1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gayle1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gayle1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gayle1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gayle1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gayle1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gayle1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Gayle1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don’t decline bench alone. Besides that, I can always do the roll of shame or drop the bar off my back.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by keyboardworkout View Post
    It's called a power rack.
    I actually call that a cage.
    Originally Posted by Gayle1 View Post
    I don’t decline bench alone. Besides that, I can always do the roll of shame or drop the bar off my back.
    Actually yeah this is a sketched out apparatus.

blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000)
    i mostly train solo because i'm very picky when it comes to finding a training partner. i don't feel unsafe when performing and executing the exercises alone because i know what i'm doing and how to dump the weights safely. the only times i feel unsafe is because of other people. some people have no gym etiquette at all and are rude AF. using today as an example, right after i walked out with the bar on my back, some idiot comes and squeezes into the back area to grab weights between my squat rack and the one next to mines, almost bumping into the barbell in the process, then i'm just standing there with the bar on my back waiting for him to get out so i can start my set. i'm not sure why, but a lot of people tend to do this to me quite a lot at this gym whenever i'm setting up for squats or bench press. there's weights all over the gym but they seem to purposely come near me to grab weights and making me feel unsafe.

Originally Posted by blazy4lyfe View Post
    i mostly train solo because i'm very picky when it comes to finding a training partner. i don't feel unsafe when performing and executing the exercises alone because i know what i'm doing and how to dump the weights safely. the only times i feel unsafe is because of other people. some people have no gym etiquette at all and are rude AF. using today as an example, right after i walked out with the bar on my back, some idiot comes and squeezes into the back area to grab weights between my squat rack and the one next to mines, almost bumping into the barbell in the process, then i'm just standing there with the bar on my back waiting for him to get out so i can start my set. i'm not sure why, but a lot of people tend to do this to me quite a lot at this gym whenever i'm setting up for squats or bench press. there's weights all over the gym but they seem to purposely come near me to grab weights and making me feel unsafe.
    Yeah that's something I feel weird about when sometimes going for weights on my own rack. I try to be extra spatially conscious just not to bother people that have just unracked.

Originally Posted by etet1919 View Post
    It's a good question. This is a matter of knowing what you're capable of doing, and that comes from gaining experience in the gym and developing a high level of "body awareness." Body awareness, for me, means, instinctively knowing just how low to go while squatting heavy on the hack squat machine or maintaining proper form doing heavy DB shoulder presses while some "dumbbell" steps in front of me to block my vision.

How long have you been in the gym? You can start building strength, but don't strive for 1 RM, if you're new. Always go with a weight you're confident you can do (if you don't have a spotter) for at least 8-10 reps. That's to play it safe.

I, myself, started out training in the 6-8 rep range. That's where I felt most comfortable, but I know everyone has their own "comfort zones." I can honestly say after 14 years of hard progressive work, because of some reoccurring injuries, my natural confidence has taken a huge hit recently. And that thought alone scares the hell out of me. Imagine feeling completely confident in your abilities, and then, BAM - anticipated and limiting injury sets you back again and again... . And you're left stewing over the setback, because much of your self-identity was always wrapped up in fitness and athletics. Every time I go to the gym with the intent to push myself to the max (6-8 reps, now), I experience intense anxiety now. But I also know a lot of that is mental. If I have enough natural adrenaline, I can push past the negative feelings and do what I had intended to do.

A good rule of thumb is to have a competent spotter if you're unsure while lifting heavy. Experience in knowing one's own capabilities , common sense and feeling "in the flow" will help determine whether you feel "safe" or not. I hope I made sense or helped in any way.
    This is great. It's what I was thinking pretty much.

If you're squatting or pushing weight or whatever, the idea that you're in complete control of the weight is encompassed in the idea of performing each repetition. It becomes more of a movement pattern issue recognized by the body instead of a happenstance of strength and just making sure you don't drop it one way or the other.

Of course everyone's seen the video of the guy dropping 300 lbs on his neck, but that's much more of a complex level that's more complicated than basic idea of lifting heavy.

Originally Posted by Gayle1 View Post
    Yeah, who cares if you drop the bar and make noise? As long as you can do it safely. We're at the GYM, NOT a funeral home!

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    This is great. It's what I was thinking pretty much.

If you're squatting or pushing weight or whatever, the idea that you're in complete control of the weight is encompassed in the idea of performing each repetition. It becomes more of a movement pattern issue recognized by the body instead of a happenstance of strength and just making sure you don't drop it one way or the other.

Of course everyone's seen the video of the guy dropping 300 lbs on his neck, but that's much more of a complex level that's more complicated than basic idea of lifting heavy.
    Thanks for the compliment GeneralSerpant

I was waiting for someone to bring up the underrated subject of GYM ETTIQUETTE!! I could go on and on about this topic, but I have to get ready for the gym now. All I quickly say now is, I wish management would enforce the etiquette "rules" on the floor instead of just being concerned about sales and operations. People could get seriously hurt; when they see someone lifting heavy they could just ignorantly disregard that member's personal space, completely blocking their vision, to gawk at themselves up close in the mirror to do twelve lb. dumbbell curls! I have better examples that have made me so angry and frustrated in the past, but it should be addressed because it will keep happening.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I was waiting for someone to bring up the underrated subject of GYM ETTIQUETTE!! I could go on and on about this topic, but I have to get ready for the gym now. All I quickly say now is, I wish management would enforce the etiquette "rules" on the floor instead of just being concerned about sales and operations. People could get seriously hurt; when they see someone lifting heavy they could just ignorantly disregard that member's personal space, completely blocking their vision, to gawk at themselves up close in the mirror to do twelve lb. dumbbell curls! I have better examples that have made me so angry and frustrated in the past, but it should be addressed because it will keep happening.
    I don't entirely disagree about this except 9ne part.
    What do you mean blocking vision? If you mean of some Deadlifting or squatting they shouldn't be looking at a mirror while performing those anyway... So blocking one isnt an issue.

In fact, since at best mirrors in a gym are a pointless distraction, and at worst an encouragement for poor form blocking one would really be a favour...
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Davinci515 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Davinci515 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Davinci515 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Davinci515 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Davinci515 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Davinci515 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Davinci515 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Davinci515 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Davinci515 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Davinci515 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Davinci515 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post
    What do you mean blocking vision? If you mean of some Deadlifting or squatting they shouldn't be looking at a mirror while performing those anyway... So blocking one isnt an issue.

In fact, since at best mirrors in a gym are a pointless distraction, and at worst an encouragement for poor form blocking one would really be a favour...
    I Disagree about the mirrors. 90% of the time they are used for pure ego boost but I use them quite often to check my form. I can usually tell by my body movements if im using momentum but visually seeing it helps confirm and allows me to adjust.

Agreed. You can have a natural sense of "body awareness" but the mirrors are there for safety purposes in all body building aspects.

Originally Posted by WolfRose7 View Post

I specifically meant heavy DB shoulder presses in that post (you need to maintain stability!). Or, another example might be heavy one-arm DB rows (I have to watch that my core doesn't twist too much). There are so many examples, but I understand in the powerlifting community, you guys are rarely, if ever, using mirrors to guide you.

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Davinci515 View Post
    I Disagree about the mirrors. 90% of the time they are used for pure ego boost but I use them quite often to check my form. I can usually tell by my body movements if im using momentum but visually seeing it helps confirm and allows me to adjust.
    simply filming yourself can achieve that, and it will be more organic since you aren't actively trying to check the mirror to look at your form, changing your head position. you might be able to look in the mirror and check if you are hitting parallel but other factors in form would be a lot harder to see simply by looking in the mirror. Proprioception and body awareness are key and it is important to have that feel when doing a movement instead of having to rely on a mirror. Many gyms don't have mirrors for that specific reason and it really isn't a safety issue. A power rack with safeties set properly is really all the safety you need. You can't really see yourself in a mirror when you bench presumably, nor would anybody even try to if a mirror was in close proximity.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I specifically meant heavy DB shoulder presses in that post (you need to maintain stability!). Or, another example might be heavy one-arm DB rows (I have to watch that my core doesn't twist too much). There are so many examples, but I understand in the powerlifting community, you guys are rarely, if ever, using mirrors to guide you.
    I'll be honest my overhead work is lacking, so not sure about the use for Db OHP (though I suppose it's at least not something you have to change head position to see in one) , though have never needed or wanted one for Barbell press.

I do db row a **** tonne though, and despite the db section of my gym having wall to wall mirrors I ignore them
    Kinda feel like cranking my neck back whilst even db rowing would be disruptive personally

To stay somewhat on topic -

I bench with safeties set up to correct height (above chest with flat back, just below with shoulders back and standard arch) so bench is no danger at all alone.
    Squat I guess a little, again not hard to dump with correct height safeties (just below your comp/regular depth), or with no safeties at all. Safeties to low can be dodgy.
    Last edited by WolfRose7; 10-20-2018 at 09:14 AM.
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

Chocolate nipples of peac Muzzlrpress's Avatar
    Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Muzzlrpress has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The only lift I ask for a spotter on is if I'm doing max weight is bench, though I have failed solo and rely on the "roll of shame" to get out. Can't think of anything else I would need a spotter fot. Squats I just sink onto the safeties if I fail, but bailing is an option depending on your setup.
    ***The Misadventires of Gandalf the Black***
    **Best Meet Lifts***/***Best Gym Lifts*** (strength status: retired)
    S/457.5 ~ 465x3
    B/325 ~ 315x5/350x1
    D/512.6 ~ 495x3
    ***Big Dock Crew***
    ***Block Crew***
    ***High Tast Crew***
    ***2022 Aesthetics Crew***
    ***Chess Crew***
    ***I have chosen violence***

blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000) blazy4lyfe is just really nice. (+1000)
    yeah, when i do dumbbell exercises sometimes there will be 1 douchebag that will purposely stand in front of me. while i don't really need the mirror at all so it's not a big deal, but it's just that there's so much space, there's no reason to be so close to me, then when i want to put the weights back to leave or want to switch weights, i can't because they're standing there between me and the dumbbell rack flailing/swinging dumbbells non-stop for like 50 reps straight. i'm just left sitting behind him waiting endlessly lol.

yeah, when i do dumbbell exercises sometimes there will be 1 douchebag that will purposely stand in front of me. while i don't really need the mirror at all so it's not a big deal, but it's just that there's so much space, there's no reason to be so close to me, then when i want to put the weights back to leave or want to switch weights, i can't because they're standing there between me and the dumbbell rack flailing/swinging dumbbells non-stop for like 50 reps straight. i'm just left sitting behind him waiting endlessly lol.
    Don't people understand they're not going to get anything out of "flailing" 50 reps of DB curls by now? Haven't they read excessive reps= weight too light to get benefits? Anyway, I'm personally fed up with the members who have NO respect or regards for your personal space you're working in. For instance, you're pushing the sled on the turf. Two chummy friends come along, place their towels down on the turf in the direct line your running in, and proceed to sit down and chat like they're sunning on the beach and you're supposed to move for them. Or, you're on the turf doing walking lunges with more weight on your back than you weigh. Suddenly, someone darts right in front of your stepping, almost throwing you off balance. Then multiple people decide to follow his lead, but instead, casually stroll in your path like they're in a park and you and your massive looking barbell don't even exist. Who cares if anyone gets hurt, right? I have to stop my rant now because I could go on and on....
    Last edited by etet1919; 10-20-2018 at 01:31 PM. Reason: spelling