Kevin8363786 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Arrow Squats and deadlifts

Can i do heavy squats and heavy deadlift on the same day twice a week or would it be better to do separate excersises 2 days in a row
    Ex:
    Monday:deadlift/pull day
    Tuesday: squat/quad day
    Wedsnday: push day
    Thursday: Deadlift/pull day
    Friday:squat/push day
    Last edited by Kevin8363786; 10-19-2018 at 11:43 AM.

Registered User NoGainNoPainBro's Avatar
    NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    if you just started working out, this might work. But after a few months in, this will get very difficult for most people. Heavy squats are so intense that there is not much energy left in the tank for heavy deadlifts.

Starting Strength reduces the deadlift volume bcs of this:
    3x5 squats
    (3x5 bench or press)
    1x5 deadlifts

Other alternatives are doing them on separate days, or when you want to do a pull on squat day, to do a pull that forces you to use less weight:
    - power cleans/snatches
    - stiff leg deadlift
    - snatch grip deadlift
    - deficit deadlift
    etc

But if you are preparing for a meet, it would actually be benificial to do both exercises heavy on the same day, since you will have to do the same at the meet.

Right now my program has it to where I don't do normal squats and deadlifts 2 days in a row its a variation and assistance
    What mine is right now:
    Mondayeadlift/pull day
    Tuesday: Squat variation and squat assistance
    Thursday Deadlift variation and assistance and pull variation
    Friday: Squat and push variation and assistance
    would this be good?

mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What are your poundages? That'd give us a better picture of an appropriate program to recommend. You only have a list of exercises listed and not a progression..
    "The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds." -Henry Rollins

geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250) geoffstgermaine has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It's honestly volume dependent. We'd need to know more about your program and not just your split.

I only deadlift once per week, squat 2-3 and bench 3-4 plus limited assistance/accessory work. As a result I don't generally do competition squat and deadlift on the same day, though sometimes I might have a day that has deadlift with a squat accessory movement such as front squats or a competition squat paired with a deadlift accessory like a block pull or an RDL.
    Meet Best: 220/125/260 kg for a 384 Wilks IPF Nov 2018.

On squat,bench and deads I go 3*3 and for assistance excersises it's 8-12 reps for 3-4 sets

jeffc1994 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Kevin8363786 View Post
    Can i do heavy squats and heavy deadlift on the same day twice a week or would it be better to do separate excersises 2 days in a row
    Ex:
    Monday:deadlift/pull day
    Tuesday: squat/quad day
    Thursday: Deadlift/pull day
    Friday:squat/push day
    I used to do something similar but what I find is that when you reach high RPE on one lift your next exercise is going to suffer. As others have said, it'll come down to your volume. If you still want to go for it, I recommend doing squats first for safety reasons (squatting while fatigued from deadlifts can be dangerous, but deadlifting while fatigued is relatively safe).