Jeppa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Stretching dumbbell fly

Whenever I do dumbbell flyes and go to deep on the stretch my pecs get sore for 4/5 days. I don't think this is normal but what am I doing wrong? I don't feel any discomfort when going deep.
    Last edited by Jeppa; 10-18-2018 at 05:18 AM.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Some exercises cause more DOMS (soreness) than others - this is one of them. That shouldn't be taken to mean that it's effective for muscle/strength gain though.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Some exercises cause more DOMS (soreness) than others - this is one of them. That shouldn't be taken to mean that it's effective for muscle/strength gain though.
    Agree. It also keeps me from working out my chest again after like 3/4 days because of the soreness. So should I go less deep because it might not be effective for gains? I'm afraid that it is more a stretching exercise when I go deep.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Keep depth to a comfortable level. It's easy to pick up a strain from that kind of passive stretching.

I prefer to use cables or a pec deck for this kind of movement. The force curve for DB flys is kind of sucky.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Stretching is fine as long as it's not over done.
    Go to far on DB flys with weight and you can be asking for shoulder issues or even possibly a pec tear.
    The soreness your experiencing is probably because you don't normally use that range of motion in normal day to day activity so the muscle (pecs)are stretched beyond the normal range of motion and under pressure from weight.
    Make sure on your off days you do some static stretches with arm holding a post and turn your body several times on both sides.

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Stretching is fine as long as it's not over done.
    Go to far on DB flys with weight and you can be asking for shoulder issues or even possibly a pec tear.
    The soreness your experiencing is probably because you don't normally use that range of motion in normal day to day activity so the muscle (pecs)are stretched beyond the normal range of motion and under pressure from weight.
    Make sure on your off days you do some static stretches with arm holding a post and turn your body several times on both sides.
    Static stretching seems to help indeed. I did it yesterday and the soreness has reduced significantly today. I will not go as deep anymore because of possible injuries. Thanks all!