Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    Yes, I was under increasing stress both physically and mentally. It was tough: I had finally found a place to work where I loved 99% of the people with whom I worked and had a job I loved, but I need more money (let's be honest, I'm 54 and need to get back to making reasonably good money before I even think about retiring) and I need less physical trashing.

Yup. My sister works for a company in Chicago that builds and runs assisted living facilities. They went into lockdown in late February, had a huge staff meeting to explain everything, and implemented precautions above and beyond the basics. And COVID-19 hadn't even been discovered in Illinois yet!

Thanks, Marius. It's so good to see you back as well! Thanks also for the kind words about what I do. I'm in a holding pattern now with my nonprofit. Things are really tough in Nepal (we haven't expanded out to other countries yet) and the elders are especially suffering. Lots of them are homeless and living in makeshift shelters -- I can't get my government contacts to tell me what's happened to them during this lockdown.

Okay, enough about all that!

Yesterday I did 55 minutes on my bike on the trainer. My hubs and I knocked together a table a couple of weeks ago so I could set up my laptop and watch Netflix while I was riding. So I've been on the trainer more often. My ultimate goal is to ride back and forth to Mama June's. She's at a higher elevation than us, so it's a trip straight downhill from here, then a ride up the highway, then back straight up a long hill on which I've never, ever seen another cyclist. I've done it once before and I spent a LOT of time walking my bike up parts of that hill.

After that, I did 5 sets of 12 modified pushups along with 4 sets of 20 total side lunges (10 each side), bodyweight only.

This a.m., I was back on the bike for 45 minutes, then started to do some straight bar, 30# overhead presses but there was no way. I checked out back of the barn, where the ranch owner was helping the hubs split wood and went back inside and changed, then headed back out to help . The 80 year old ranch owner was sitting on the ground in front of the splitter, then he'd reach over and struggle to get a 1/3 round over and set up. It was nerve-wracking. He's careless and they'd already done about six cords already this year, each time nearly injuring the hubs. I started to pull rounds and half rounds off the stack and helped set them up on the splitter, and set the smaller ones down near the ranch owner if he could manage them. There was the rest of my workout: Tons of 30-75 pound deadlifts and farmer's carries to finish off the last cord of wood.

Tomorrow it's back to the bike plus an upper body workout.
    Whoa, that's physical training old-style!
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

🥋 A Karate Kid age 64 🔥 Samraiwise's Avatar
    Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz
    My little sis A, you are amazing and also a strong lady.

Always Proud of you and Never Stop Loving You!

Tell your husband, I love him too.

The Cardigans - "For What It's Worth" (2003)
    🌺 Lauren Brooks Kelly (snailsrus) - Jul 25, 1991 – Jan 29, 2022
    Thread: RIP Snails : https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181070293&page=100

⭐ Samurai Break: 140kg(308lb) Failed Bench Press Recovery Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8eIkpZ29u0
    ⭐ Over 35 Journals > Samurai, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4832373&page=200
    📌 Please Call me Kaz, a 64-year-old 🥋 Karate Kid in Tokyo.

Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    Whoa, that's physical training old-style!
    Yeah, it was pretty crazy. My preference is for physical work like that -- doing tractor work, etc. Having to move stuff, getting up and down off the tractor or the trailer (like yesterday). Weight lifting and even yoga only go so far, but physical work moves our bodies in ways we don't normally move, and requires different types of flexibility and strength.

Originally Posted by Samraiwise View Post
    My little sis A, you are amazing and also a strong lady.

Always Proud of you and Never Stop Loving You!

Tell your husband, I love him too.

The Cardigans - "For What It's Worth" (2003)
    Thank you, Kaz! For anyone who doesn't already know, Kaz has been a huge inspiration and more than just a friend off-line -- he is truly my big brother and I am always in awe of him. <3

~~ * ~~

Okay, here's the latest!

Friday my forearms and biceps were too sore to do an upper body workout, so I stuck with the bike work but did a double.
    BIKE: a.m. = 55 min; p.m. = 50 min

Saturday didn't feel too well...the double session took a lot out of me. I did help with tractor work, though. The gear box for our MX6 field mower has crapped out after a measly 60 hours of mowing hay (insert extremely pissed off emoji here) and so the hubs and I had to load it onto the trailer. First we had to disassemble the trailer frame that my husband built, then we used the tractor to load the mower onto the trailer. It was not easy and required a lot of physical work from me on the ground.

Sunday is my bodyfat day. I'm trying to stay focused, even though nothing has changed in the last six weeks. I don't look as if I've lost weight, I don't feel as if I've lost weight, and the numbers prove I haven't. I'm stuck at:
    ...wt: 138lbs
    ...BF%: 29.9%

Which translates to a whopping 41lbs of fat and a measly 97lbs of LBM.

Decided to just stay focused today instead of eating ice cream for breakfast.

start: 7:40a.m.
    SUPERSETS:

* Burpees with overhead presses: 10# dumbbells (one each hand) - 12 reps for 5 sets
    * Side lunges: 10# dumbbell (single) - 20 total for 2 sets; 20# dumbbells (one 10# each hand) - 20 total for 2 sets
    ...I only do four sets of side lunges

time: 8:00a.m.

SUPERSETS:

* modified pushups (I'm still a weakling): 12 reps for 5 sets
    * SA DB rows: 20#spinlocks - 12 reps for 5 sets

finished with --
    * Floor deads (light bar plus weight): 30# - 10 reps
    ...deads are pretty hard on my lower back -- but I need them to keep my lower back strong, so I'm easing into more sets very slowly

time: 8:22a.m.

Hubs had to start up the tractor, so I left the barn to finish later (it takes a long time to get the engine up to temperature).

Just before noon, I headed back out.

BIKE: 50 min

finished with --
    * Leg raises off bench: 10 reps x 2 sets

~~ * ~~

Food thus far today:
    Breakfast, post-workout: Smoothie with one scoop Hammer Vegan protein powder (chocolate); 1t each turmeric, cinnamon, cacao powder and L-Glutamine; 1/3C each frozen blueberries and frozen sweet cherries

Lunch, post-bike session: 1/2 apple with brie; Greek salad (1/2 avocado, 1/4 red pepper, 1/2 cuke, 1 small tomato, all chopped and topped with 1T Opa feta dill dressing 'cuz I'm too lazy to make my own dressing!); and two small pieces of my very own specially made Spanakopita.

Still hungry, so I'll likely scramble some eggs with seared asparagus and broccoli soon.

Stay well, stay strong, stay fierce and STAY HOME (if you can), peeps!
    ~Athi

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I feel you with the fat loss. It gets discouraging. I keep trying to remember that you push and push with no results then one day it seems like the fat just falls off. Then you stagnate again for a while.

That's what I keep hoping is going to happen, anyway.

Your training is still good as long as you keep moving. Being weak is okay. Being lazy isn't.

How long have you lived in Nepal. My wife and I have talked for years about visiting there. It's one of the locations where neither of us have been, but we feel like we already know it.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    I feel you with the fat loss. It gets discouraging. I keep trying to remember that you push and push with no results then one day it seems like the fat just falls off. Then you stagnate again for a while.

That's what I keep hoping is going to happen, anyway.

Your training is still good as long as you keep moving. Being weak is okay. Being lazy isn't.

How long have you lived in Nepal. My wife and I have talked for years about visiting there. It's one of the locations where neither of us have been, but we feel like we already know it.
    The fat thing just falling off happened to me years ago. I fought and fought and fought and nothing happened for six weeks...then it started falling off and wouldn't stop. I lost two pant sizes in one month. Freaked me out. I remember talking to a bodybuilding pro I knew and he just looked at me and said, "Hey, why fight it? Your body knows what it's doing. Just let it do it's thing." I took his word and ran with it. I miss him. He quit bodybuilding when his physician told him, "Either lose 30 pounds [of muscle] or have back surgery." He chose to drop 30 pounds of muscle. He really encouraged me to stay natural and stay true to myself. Good guy.

I've been back and forth to Nepal three times now. As for feeling as if you already know it, you already do know it. I knew it would feel like home before I even set foot on the tarmac. It's as much my home as Epsom and London, and more my home than here in the PacNW. We can chat about it offline, because there are reasons for this being true.

~~ * ~~

Okay, Tuesday, April 21, did a superset of bench pushups (4 sets of 15) plus one modified set of 15, with SA DB rows (spinlocks) at 20# - just four sets of 15...followed by an attempt at overhead presses but nearly puked.

I was still not feeling well even after all that rest for my belly strain. Went to the chiropractor twice last week. Belly felt better after the first visit but then I threw out an anterior and my right hip.

I'm pretty sure I biked at some point last week, but I didn't write it down.

Sunday, April 26, I got out on the road -- did a tough one hour ride. Felt great!

Monday, April 27, depressing news on the BF front. Increased fat by 1/2 pound (WTF?!), but I also did supposedly put on two pounds of muscle in one week. Gonna hold my breath on that one until next week's test. I know how much I'm eating. It's not too much, not too little. I just have no f'ing clue what's going on.

Today, April 28: solid workout.

Bench pushups: 4 sets of 15
    superset with
    SA DB rows (spinlocks): 20# - 4 sets of 15

Floor deads: straight bar + 30# - 2 sets of 10
    superset with
    Bodyweight bench squats: 2 sets of 10

OH presses: straight bar + 30# - 2 sets of 5

noodle arms after that...

Need to keep up the weight workouts. It is the answer to my weight loss, I know that for sure. And the biking -- can't wait to get back on the road tomorrow!

Cheers, everyone. I'll check in on everyone else's journals later.
    ~Athi

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good, well-rounded training there. Weights and riding are a great combo.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Good, well-rounded training there. Weights and riding are a great combo.
    Thanks! I remembered my other workouts from last week. I ran once, which is why I had to race back to the chiropractor. It really screwed me up. I am not saying I'm quitting running, because addiction sucks and makes you a liar, but I do know I need to quit.

Yesterday was 50 min's on the bike trainer so I could multi-task and start my online palliative care certification program. More weights to come this a.m.

Rainy morning as usual in the PacNW! Stay safe, peeps!

Athi

ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Thanks! I remembered my other workouts from last week. I ran once, which is why I had to race back to the chiropractor. It really screwed me up. I am not saying I'm quitting running, because addiction sucks and makes you a liar, but I do know I need to quit.

Yesterday was 50 min's on the bike trainer so I could multi-task and start my online palliative care certification program. More weights to come this a.m.

Athi
    If you know you need to quit, we'll remind you to quit!

I ran for years, but when I finally quit I needed no reminders. It was just too painful. That's why I took up weights the first time.

I grew up running, and occasionally look back with fondness on some enjoyable runs. Then I remember the pain of the final six months of it, and I still grimace. From time to time I'll indulge in a little sprinting (or what passes for sprinting in a 64 year old man), and experience no ill effects, but having to relive the final months of my endurance running life, it still hurts!

The weights will be your comfort!
    -Voltaire

Athi
    It's difficult to give up things that we love that are bad for us. Running hurts me, but I keep doing it, so I totally get you.

Also, taxation is theft.

ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ArchAngel'73 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hello.
    I did not know you lived on a farm. That's pretty commendable you know your way around equipment like that. I'm mechanically dis-inclined.
    And I agree with your bb'ing friend, why fight it indeed (the weight loss).
    Its also nice to see your excited for your workouts, reading that can be contagious for people like me who have lost some of the mojo since the gyms closed.

Back in the day, you were competing, right?
    Do you want to compete again?

okay, folks. i keep getting an "access denied" message whenever i try to post.

this forum crap is getting old.

gonna try this...gonna keep editing short posts until i can finish something...

nope, that didn't work.

workouts are continuing. did my version of sled drags yesterday with the tractor farrow (turned it upside down because i'm not crazy). i am hooked!!

looking at three things with regards to my constantly increasing weight:
    - figuring out how to lower my cortisol levels. i think something "broke" when i was under all that stress at the assisted living facility.
    - figuring out if there's something in my gut health that isn't working the way it should be.
    - taking an ayurvedic approach to balancing my systems. turns out i'm what they call a three-dosha, which explains a lot to me (but probably not to you guys!)

also, yes, going back in for blood work. my thyroid has barely worked for years, so i'll be looking at that as well.

posting this, then trying another post to continue...

okay, also starting a periodization program starting monday:

mondays: chest & back plus abs
    wednesdays: legs, shoulders, abs
    fridays: bis & tris plus abs
    other days: farrow drags, cycling, yoga

rotation:
    w/o 1: powerlifting
    w/o 2: hypertrophy
    w/o 3: endurance

i will rotate the PL, HT, and EN workouts weekly:
    week 1: PL, HT, EN
    week 2: HT, EN, PL
    week 3: EN, PL, HT

just need to mix it up a bit and get into some kind of a routine.

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    If you know you need to quit, we'll remind you to quit!

I ran for years, but when I finally quit I needed no reminders. It was just too painful. That's why I took up weights the first time.

I grew up running, and occasionally look back with fondness on some enjoyable runs. Then I remember the pain of the final six months of it, and I still grimace. From time to time I'll indulge in a little sprinting (or what passes for sprinting in a 64 year old man), and experience no ill effects, but having to relive the final months of my endurance running life, it still hurts!

The weights will be your comfort!
    I've quit several times...that's why I'm not saying I've quit again!

It's difficult to give up things that we love that are bad for us. Running hurts me, but I keep doing it, so I totally get you.
    Yeah, it hurts but I don't have any other exercise that works every aspect of my body and soul the way running does.

Originally Posted by ArchAngel'73 View Post
    Hello.
    I did not know you lived on a farm. That's pretty commendable you know your way around equipment like that. I'm mechanically dis-inclined.
    And I agree with your bb'ing friend, why fight it indeed (the weight loss).
    Its also nice to see your excited for your workouts, reading that can be contagious for people like me who have lost some of the mojo since the gyms closed.

Back in the day, you were competing, right?
    Do you want to compete again?
    we manage a ranch for a couple of city-dwellers. not sayin' more because they are a challenge to deal with. fortunately, my hubby deals with them...me, not so much.

weight loss was years and years ago. now i'm struggling with unexplained steady weight GAIN. need to figure out what the hell is happening. it's getting depressing.

and i always think of competing again, but it would take years and years of work and right now my focus is on trying to figure out why, no matter what i do, i literally put on fat each and every week. i'm tracking my food and my workouts and there's just NO WAY i should be putting on 1-2 lbs of fat each week.

[insert sobbing emoji here]

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Rooting for you!
    At age 64, I've exceeded all my prior PRs. Not “over the hill” yet. :)

My workout journal is here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176385621

we manage a ranch for a couple of city-dwellers. not sayin' more because they are a challenge to deal with. fortunately, my hubby deals with them...me, not so much.

weight loss was years and years ago. now i'm struggling with unexplained steady weight GAIN. need to figure out what the hell is happening. it's getting depressing.

and i always think of competing again, but it would take years and years of work and right now my focus is on trying to figure out why, no matter what i do, i literally put on fat each and every week. i'm tracking my food and my workouts and there's just NO WAY i should be putting on 1-2 lbs of fat each week.

[insert sobbing emoji here]
    I may have missed something upthread, but have you thought about having your thyroid hormones checked? Hypothyroidism can be insidious, and sneak up on you. My doctor told me my thyroid hormones were "critically low", and wondered that I wasn't feeling bad. I thought I was just on a successful bulk! After being on the medication for a month or so, I could feel the difference. It's a lifetime prescription for me now, but at least it's an easy pill to take.

Can't say that's what's happening in your case, but it might be worth checking on.
    -Voltaire

Okay, I haven't given up, folks. I've just been getting blasted from all sides.

My bodyweight is up, my bodyfat is up, and my mood is calm.

Thyroid issues under control. I've managed to incorporate a lot of Ayurvedic principles into my diet and daily routine, and started using a progesterone cream, and my last TSH showed 2.5 -- normal. Yay!

Fell on ice Dec 24, and really screwed myself up. Fortunately, I hung in my inversion table right away and snapped my back into place. Unfortunately, I still had to work through the agony. Work saved me. I had to focus, breathe, relax, and move. I think it helped me recover faster. Horrible back spasms for about five days, then everything began to subside to a manageable "OW" for a few more days. My back was even more crooked after that.

Starting January 1, I began a short stretching a yoga practice. I committed to three days a week, but did it daily, only missing two days in the first 14 days of January. On the 15th, I started incorporating my Egoscue exercises to start to straighten out my spine. It will take months, but I've got time.

I'm committed to my yoga and Egoscue daily until early March, when I can start to incorporate more walking into my routine. No weight lifting until I can get my scoliosis a bit under control.

That's all the news that I can squeeze in. Hoping the system will let me post...

Cheers, all, and happy f'ing 2021!
    Athi

HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000) HomeGymChains is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Glad to see you’re alive and kicking. Sounds like a rough time, but you are doing smart therapies!

Best wishes for a smooth recovery!
    (And thanks for the rows advice.)

Originally Posted by HomeGymChains View Post
    Glad to see you’re alive and kicking. Sounds like a rough time, but you are doing smart therapies!

Best wishes for a smooth recovery!
    (And thanks for the rows advice.)
    rough times are made easier when you're strong and fit.

OKAY, folks. i haven't given up -- just between finishing the book (my editor is growing impatient) plus running the non-profit plus working 40+ hours a week plus trying to have a normal life with the hubs and the dog...well, something had to give and it was my participation here.

started keto on march 10, started working out again march 20. haven't been doing as much yoga and back exercises as i'd like but it's all good. workouts are HIIT on caffeine only, just like the old days. (caffeine on an empty stomach -- meaning in the a.m. -- releases triglycerides and free fatty acids into the blood stream to be used as fuel; if you don't work out, the triglycerides and fatty acids just get reabsorbed.)

kicked my own butt to oregon and back this a.m. hiit circuits of burpees with 10# overhead presses (i love these things...they kick my butt), plus 17.5# woodchoppers and 10# standing rear flyes. the weight isn't much but i'm just fine with that. i'm still getting a good workout in.

have lost only 4lbs since march 10 but oh, well. it's coming off and that's all that matters.

one of my dearest friends has asked me to be best man at her wedding early next year. her future wife has chosen the gridesmaids dresses and it's very sleek and sexy so i've got my work cut out for me!!

okay, i'll check in with everyone else later.

and remember: love makes the world go around. hate just kills people.

cheers,
    athi

StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Good going getting through everything - always remember: light weights are just fine and moving more weight doesn't necessarily mean anything. If in doubt, move lesser weight MORE and make up the difference Do it faster and get bonus/free cardio for a double whammy!

And congrats on being the #1 draft pick for the wedding! I did that for a friend once and it was a blast.
    Lifting. Hockey. Headbanging.

My Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175144571

Thumbs up

Yay Athena!!!
    Hard work, done well!

Originally Posted by StinnerOzz View Post
    Good going getting through everything - always remember: light weights are just fine and moving more weight doesn't necessarily mean anything. If in doubt, move lesser weight MORE and make up the difference Do it faster and get bonus/free cardio for a double whammy!

And congrats on being the #1 draft pick for the wedding! I did that for a friend once and it was a blast.
    "move less weight more" -- HA! Back in my competition days I would have scoffed at you and insulted your parents. I was mortified during my light weeks ("active resting" weeks) when I'd have to do dumbbell bench presses with puny 40-lb dumbbells. But I also recall an interview with some top models and their trainer. The trainer's tools of the trade consisted of 3# and 5# dumbbells, and the models hated him but loved the results -- beautiful, toned arms and everything else. They did a ton of reps with those little baby weights.

Yeah, I can't wait to see my friend again. Haven't seen her in ages -- she lives about three hours away now. She looks SO HAPPY, I can't help but be happy for her.

Yay Athena!!!
    Hard work, done well!
    Thanks for popping in! Hope all is well!

~~ * ~~

Okay, my right knee is not happy with me for doing step ups with 35 lbs in dumbbells. I had to get on my bike trainer two days ago to try and work out the inflammation, then rested yesterday. This a.m. was 30 minutes of hard work on the trainer, followed by one set of woodchoppers with a 17.5# spinlock.

Gotta run. Time to git to work.

Cheers, all --
    Athi

StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The trainer's tools of the trade consisted of 3# and 5# dumbbells, and the models hated him but loved the results -- beautiful, toned arms and everything else. They did a ton of reps with those little baby weights.

I did a multiple drop set the other day for trap/rear delt mobility work and ended up w/my wife's pink 5 pounders! They killed - lol
    Lifting. Hockey. Headbanging.

My Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175144571

Thumbs up

I did a multiple drop set the other day for trap/rear delt mobility work and ended up w/my wife's pink 5 pounders! They killed - lol
    Agreed! Back in the day when I could hang out in hotel gyms, on two separate trips I ran the rack with drop sets of bench press. I was surprised to find that it was possible to be completely killed by five-pound dumbbells to the point where I absolutely could not move.

HAHA! been there!

Agreed! Back in the day when I could hang out in hotel gyms, on two separate trips I ran the rack with drop sets of bench press. I was surprised to find that it was possible to be completely killed by five-pound dumbbells to the point where I absolutely could not move.
    completely killed both physically and mentally.

i remember when "prettyhardcore" (nancy) and i were doing this program -- can't recall the name of it...RPG? RBG? CMYK? -- but it was the program where you did one week powerlifting, one week hypertrophy, and one week endurance...so each week the rep range, pause and timing would change. the endurance week was humiliating.

okay, yes it's been over a month since i've been in here, but it's been crazy everywhere in my life. the one constant, though, is that my keto journey and workouts are continuing. i've discovered that i'm EXTREMELY sensitive to carbs, and it's a nice educational experience.

i'm proud of the fact that i've actually stuck with this for two months -- two months of keto and six solid weeks of workouts, and i'm not interested in slowing down. back on a mon - wed - fri split (check and back on monday, legs and shoulders on wednesday, bis and tris on friday, abs all the time), plus jogging once a week, lots of cycling on my trainer for now, and functional training in between (burpees with overhead presses, woodchoppers, etc.)

the scale has barely budged, and my two month photos don't show much difference from my day 1 photos, but oh well. my bodyfat is going down, little by little, and muscle is going up, little by little, and you can't ask for more than that at age 56.

okay, gotta check in with you guys, then gotta head out to get my bike worked on.

cheers,
    athi

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by athena View Post

i'm proud of the fact that i've actually stuck with this for two months -- two months of keto and six solid weeks of workouts, and i'm not interested in slowing down.

My bodyfat is going down, little by little, and muscle is going up, little by little, and you can't ask for more than that at age 56. :d
    Way to go Athena!!!

Way to go Athena!!!
    thanks!

i know, i know -- two days in a row?? something must be wrong, but there isn't anything wrong. i just wanted to pop in and update my journal with a workout.

didn't do legs and shoulders as scheduled yesterday -- i didn't have the energy for ANYTHING except work (and i got called in an hour early, too). too sore all over and going on just a few hours of sleep yesterday.

today i was out in the barn at 5:30 a.m. -- almost like the old days.

no real weights to report because i don't have the time...but here's the gist:

double sets of standing, unweighted lunges with deads
    ...haven't done lunges in a long time and have been working back into getting my hips and knees stretched out before i can add weights.
    ...felt good!

straight legged deads superset with woodchoppers
    ...kept the sldl's lighter and worked with various foot widths, always with toes very slightly pigeon-toed
    ...woodchoppers were tough -- 22.5#

straight bar overhead presses with rear flyes -- haven't been doing straight bar overheads and wow am i weak on them.

lots of stretching in between sets and hanging on the inversion table. came in just under an hour for the workout.

also, here's a photo of my wall of inspiration, and a close up on my old abs.

20210504_072925[1].jpg
    20210504_082131[1].jpg

could someone please tell me how to get the damned photos to appear in the post?? this attachment crap is getting old -- and i'm old, too, and forgot how to do that little trick.

LOVELY. and the wall of inspiration is sideways!! aw, screw it. i don't have time to fix it. just turn yer head to the side to view it. ugh. gotta get reading for work.

Thumbs up

Nice inspiration Athena!!!