Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    That came darn close to putting tears in my eyes, Athena. I'm glad you have coyote songs for company. I love 'em too.
    my heart sings with them...and the sound of their howls echoing off the hills around us are, i think, what makes being alive so wonderful at times.

~~ * ~~

schedule went sideways again at work...no workout tuesday or wednesday. did legs today, with the workout broken into two sections: i had an appointment to get to when i was in the middle of my stiff-legged deads, so half was done this morning around 10am, and the other half done just now (6pm). log is in the barn (my workout log...not the fireplace logs ), so i'll try to remember weights, etc.

floor deads (standard bar, not oly): 50#-8, 8; 70#-8, 8; 80#-6, 6; 40#-16

SLDLS: 40#-10,10 -->8 hour break<-- 10, 10

tried to do bulgarian lunges but my ham tie-ins on my right leg haven't been happy with me in months

standing calves, bodyweight: 10, 16
    ...will do more sets next week...wussied out a bit on these tonight

threw in some speedskaters to loosen up the sides of the hips, 20 total

finished with single legged stiff-legged deads: 16#spinlocks - 6, only one set

~~ * ~~

wee bit fried today. crazy friggin week at work, lots of laughing and crying and "wth?!"-ing

more tomorrow.

cheers,
    athi

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You do what you can, when you can. I shouldn't say this, because I'm not practicing what I preach, but when time is short, have you considered myo-reps?

Speaking of coyote songs, some years back I was working a late night shift at a remote desert site. About 10 pm, were heard a racket going on right out in front of our building. There was a high pitched coyote call, followed a second or two later by a chorus of high-pitched yaps. We very carefully peeked out the front door, and there just a few yards away was a mother coyote sitting in front of three very attentive pups. She would give her best coyote verse of the song, and then the pups would enthusiastically try to imitate her, bouncing as they went, while she looked proudly on. It was a wonderful sight, and the three of us working that night agreed that it was probably one of the most glorious things we'd ever seen.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Athena has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You do what you can, when you can. I shouldn't say this, because I'm not practicing what I preach, but when time is short, have you considered myo-reps?

Speaking of coyote songs, some years back I was working a late night shift at a remote desert site. About 10 pm, were heard a racket going on right out in front of our building. There was a high pitched coyote call, followed a second or two later by a chorus of high-pitched yaps. We very carefully peeked out the front door, and there just a few yards away was a mother coyote sitting in front of three very attentive pups. She would give her best coyote verse of the song, and then the pups would enthusiastically try to imitate her, bouncing as they went, while she looked proudly on. It was a wonderful sight, and the three of us working that night agreed that it was probably one of the most glorious things we'd ever seen.
    ooohhhhh, i just love this story! i'll admit that coyote songs used to be something that instilled absolute fear in me. my entire body would stiffen up and i could sense the fear oozing out of every pore. about six years ago, my shaman gave me an assignment before i went on my then-annual solitary and silent retreat in a 9x13 cabin on an island with no running water and just a little electricity. halfway through the nine days, the coyotes came out to play and i stepped out onto the porch and just stood there, the happiest i think i'd ever been in my life. it was the most joyous sound i'd ever heard, suddenly.

as for what to do when time is short: yes, i've done myo reps. i've also used the approach of two quick warm up sets and then one set heavier than you think you can manage...then moving on to the next exercise. i seem to get better results from the one set approach when time is uber-short.

the deads did a number on my left QL. i should know better. i can't go too heavy too fast on deads. it messes with my scoliosis something fierce. i just couldn't help myself. nonetheless, it won't slow me down...which probably isn't overly wise...but it is what it is.

another workout yesterday. i return to work tomorrow and my schedule is filling up this week, so i'm taking advantage of my three day weekend!

bent over rows (standard bar), OH grip: 40#-12, 12; 50#-10 x 4 sets
    ...these loosened up my QL somehow...the last two sets at 50 were squeakers

SA dumbbell rows: 20-12 x 4 sets
    ...tougher than i expected...struggled through the last two sets on these as well

superset:
    rope upright rows: 23#-8 x 4 sets
    ...annoyed my shoulders at first but they were less annoyed by the end of the sets
    rear flyes: 10# dumbbells - 12 x 4 sets
    ...too damned lazy to adjust the spinlocks so i could increase the weight! (hey, at least i'm honest...)

crashed around 8:30ish last night (the hubs and i started watching netflix early because he predicted i wouldn't last long!), then wide awake at 2:00am for over an hour. my left QL had stiffened up and i was having mild spasms up through my left oblique and lat and into my rhomboid and sub-scap. i don't want to take ibuprofen...took some yesterday and don't want to start sabotaging all the work i'm doing in the gym, so going to try an extra dose of curcumin phytosome with lots of cinnamon and turmeric in my diet today...fingers crossed.

as before, in the old days, i can't get attachments to load here. wanted to post a photo of the little tiny toad that came in to join me in the barn. these guys are about the size of my thumb just down to the first joint -- sometimes even smaller. buuuut, as the old days, i cannot get the stupid thing to load.

buggers.

*sigh*
    Attached Images

ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I got the toad pic -- cute little bugger! I used to see something similar to these when I was a kid in Louisiana, but I never figured out if they grow bigger eventually.
    I think you mentioned the scoliosis before, but I'd forgotten about it. Yes, you do need to be cautious with that, but I'm glad you don't let it stop you.

You got a really nice session in, and those spasms sound familiar! I think that's another risk when workout opportunities are intermittent. Ibuprofen doesn't do much for me, actually the only thing that I find effective is old-fashioned aspirin. Gotta be careful with that one too.

My wife uses lots of turmeric, and we started to grow one indoors just for the purpose of keeping her supplied... But she likes the plant so much she won't take the root!
    -Voltaire

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have never tried Tumeric. Benefits?
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

I got the toad pic -- cute little bugger! I used to see something similar to these when I was a kid in Louisiana, but I never figured out if they grow bigger eventually.
    I think you mentioned the scoliosis before, but I'd forgotten about it. Yes, you do need to be cautious with that, but I'm glad you don't let it stop you.

You got a really nice session in, and those spasms sound familiar! I think that's another risk when workout opportunities are intermittent. Ibuprofen doesn't do much for me, actually the only thing that I find effective is old-fashioned aspirin. Gotta be careful with that one too.

My wife uses lots of turmeric, and we started to grow one indoors just for the purpose of keeping her supplied... But she likes the plant so much she won't take the root!
    The spasms are a reminder that I can't quit lifting simply because my body needs it. I keep re-learning that lesson...over and over...

Tell your wife she can grow another plant. (Actually, that sounds like something I'd do...)

Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
    I have never tried Tumeric. Benefits?
    Turmeric is a root similar to ginger. It's orange in color and is one of the primary ingredients in most curry recipes. It's known for its many health benefits, not the least of which is an anti-inflammatory. You've probably heard of curcumin as a natural anti-inflammatory -- circumin is the active ingredient in the turmeric root that is the actual anti-inflammation compound.

There are two schools of thought in the herb world: One is the "whole plant" philosophy, which says, "Why separate one compound from a plant? Use the whole plant to get all the benefit." The other school of thought is that it requires SO MUCH of the whole plant to get the best results from that one compound, you may be overdosing on other compounds in order to get the amount needed of just the one compound. In other words, I require so much anti-inflammatory agent that I'd have to eat an enormous amount of turmeric to get the same benefit as if I'd just isolate the curcumin instead.

I do both just because I love how my body works and feels. I take one or two capsules of curcumin phytosome (this is curcumin with the black pepper enzyme added so that it's more bioavailable to the body) nearly every day, and I add turmeric to my protein shakes. But I'm nowhere near overdosing on any of it.

When I go to Nepal, I'll stop both because I eat curried food all day every day.

Saturday was a quick abdominal workout. It was quick because I was incredibly sore, incredibly fast.

Leg raises off the bench, with hip raises: 10 x 2 sets
    superset with
    Planks: 30 seconds each

That felt like all I could do.

Followed it with a one minute x-bench skydiver, and the 10 each side V-ups on each side.

Doesn't look like much in my journal but today (Tuesday), I'm still a bit sore.

Rest day Sunday.

Then Monday (yesterday), did a quick chest workout:

Pushups against the bench: 25(!!!)OMGOMGOMG, 15!!, 10!
    ...can't believe I got 25 out on the first set...didn't think the last two would come up, but they did...i was still so sore from my core workout I didn't know what would happen. (by the way, i keep my feet together on these with very strict form)

Flat flyes: 10#spinlocks - 12,10,10,10

Nice and sore today. Not sure about a workout today. I'll have to see what will work.

Cheers, everyone!
    Athi

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for the info on Tumeric. I love curries also, so I will increase my intake. The local Thai and Jamaican restaurants will love me.

Good workouts recently. Keep being you!

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    Saturday was a quick abdominal workout. It was quick because I was incredibly sore, incredibly fast.

Leg raises off the bench, with hip raises: 10 x 2 sets
    superset with
    Planks: 30 seconds each

That felt like all I could do.

Followed it with a one minute x-bench skydiver, and the 10 each side V-ups on each side.

Doesn't look like much in my journal but today (Tuesday), I'm still a bit sore.

Rest day Sunday.

Then Monday (yesterday), did a quick chest workout:

Pushups against the bench: 25(!!!)OMGOMGOMG, 15!!, 10!
    ...can't believe I got 25 out on the first set...didn't think the last two would come up, but they did...i was still so sore from my core workout I didn't know what would happen. (by the way, i keep my feet together on these with very strict form)

Flat flyes: 10#spinlocks - 12,10,10,10

Nice and sore today. Not sure about a workout today. I'll have to see what will work.

Cheers, everyone!
    Athi
    Well, don't over do it, but a good result. You're clawing your way back too! This is good to see... cautious, but still pushing.
    -Voltaire

🥋 A Karate Kid age 64 🔥 Samraiwise's Avatar
    Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz

Talking

HA, Coyote Songs! You Americans are all hopeless Romantics!!

Hard to understand for a sophisticated city boy like me.

Glad you are getting your hectic and chaotic life under control, a truly strong lady, cheers back Sister!!
    🌺 Lauren Brooks Kelly (snailsrus) - Jul 25, 1991 – Jan 29, 2022
    Thread: RIP Snails : https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181070293&page=100

⭐ Samurai Break: 140kg(308lb) Failed Bench Press Recovery Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8eIkpZ29u0
    ⭐ Over 35 Journals > Samurai, Without Ever Having Felt Sorry For Itself:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4832373&page=200
    📌 Please Call me Kaz, a 64-year-old 🥋 Karate Kid in Tokyo.

Originally Posted by Samraiwise View Post

Glad you are getting your hectic and chaotic life under control, a truly strong lady, cheers back Sister!!
    Come out to the wilds of Death Valley sometime my good man, and we’ll show you sophistication that will curl your hair!
    -Voltaire

Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz Samraiwise has the mod powerz
    Come out to the wilds of Death Valley sometime my good man, and we’ll show you sophistication that will curl your hair!
    Only if you serve me pancakes for breakfast.....maybe I would share a few pieces with Mr.Coyote.

You know my hair style.....only a fool tries to curl my hair!! Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!?

Spoiler!

Sorry sis, I was drunk last night..........
    Last edited by Samraiwise; 09-11-2019 at 04:55 PM.
    Thread: RIP Snails : https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181070293&page=100

Thanks for the info on Tumeric. I love curries also, so I will increase my intake. The local Thai and Jamaican restaurants will love me.

Good workouts recently. Keep being you!
    Glad to help the local restaurants' economies! Thanks for the encouragement. I'm just plugging away.

Well, don't over do it, but a good result. You're clawing your way back too! This is good to see... cautious, but still pushing.
    You got the impression I'm being cautious?! Ha! More like wimpy in my book. I know...I know...I'm not 43 anymore...or 33 for that matter. Cautious is good what you're *ahem* OUR AGE.

Only if you serve me pancakes for breakfast.....maybe I would share a few pieces with Mr.Coyote.

You know my hair style.....only a fool tries to curl my hair!! Hahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!?

Uh-oh my sister, don't cry, it's all Dave's fault. He distracted me while I was cutting your hair.....not that bad (just....you look exactly like borg queen).......I bet Coyotes like your new hair style........and sing for you,

"Listen babe........" After all, who cares about how high a mountain is, how low a valley is and how wide a river is!?

Oh somebody's calling me, I gotta go...... LOVE YA SISTER!

Sorry sis, I was drunk last night..........
    HAHA! You keep me smiling, Kaz! And funny you should post about shaving my head -- I want a buzz cut so badly but two things are holding me back: I have to have this lump removed from my head first and second, my husband would have a minor (if not major) stroke...as would all my friends. But I want to shave my head so stupidly badly!!

LOVE YA BACK!

~~ * ~~

Okay, today was a rest day -- yesterday was a late shift ending at 2:30am, home at 3:00am...slept until almost 11:00am and then it was a scramble to get to work again on time today. And today was a 10 hour day with no rest, no break, no sitting, no stopping. Back spasms at around 11:00pm and I just had to look at the night nurse and say, "LOOK, I NEED TO SIT DOWN. No, wait. FIRST, I need to pee. THEN, I need to get a sugar-free hot cocoa. THEN, I need to SIT DOWN and FINISH MY WORK." It was just a crazy, crazy night. No break last night either.

Yesterday's workout was a good gone. I'm seeing progress in just the short time I've been back and I think getting myself back to my roots has helped me handle the stress at work.

Here's what I did yesterday (Tuesday):

OH presses: 10#spinlocks - 10 x 4 sets, felt like pushing through on set five and got out 16 reps. time to increase weight!
    superset with
    rear flyes: 10#db - 12
    ...then realized i had just done standing rear flyes a few days ago so switched to --
    incline rear flyes, pronated grip: 10# - 10 x 4 sets...tough!

front/side raises: 10#db - 10 (so hard after the overhead presses i was in tears)
    ...had to drop to 6#spinlocks for 10 reps (still crying)
    ...had to drop to 5#spinlocks for two sets of 10 reps that were still so freaking hard i was toast

finished with just one set of tri-angled presses: 3#plates for just one set of 16 reps (three moves, one each angle, counts as one rep)

everything was on fire. and i was happyyyyyyyy!

~~ * ~~

it's 1:30am here, so time to crash finally. yay, me! i get to work out again in seven hours!

You got the impression I'm being cautious?! Ha! More like wimpy in my book. I know...I know...I'm not 43 anymore...or 33 for that matter. Cautious is good what you're *ahem* OUR AGE.
    Nothing wimpy about you at all, Athena. You have the heart of a warrior from what I can see. You face your challenges and you deal with them.

And if you want to shave your head, nobody here is going to dare to say a word! (Other than the inevitable entertaining remarks)
    -Voltaire

No wimp in this room. Just a worker.

My
    $.02 - It is your hair, do with it what you want.

StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Being cautious is good at any age! I know plenty of people in their 20s and 30s who never listen to their bodies or take precaution, and they're endlessly paying for it. Trust yourself
    Lifting. Hockey. Headbanging.

My Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175144571

Nothing wimpy about you at all, Athena. You have the heart of a warrior from what I can see. You face your challenges and you deal with them.

And if you want to shave your head, nobody here is going to dare to say a word! (Other than the inevitable entertaining remarks)
    I'm fighting for it every day. I'm not stressing about what split I'm doing or what I'm supposed to do on what day...I'm just training. Progress comes with the work.

No wimp in this room. Just a worker.

My
    $.02 - It is your hair, do with it what you want.
    Thanks. I'll likely shave it after I grow it out again (it's a few inches long right now). At some point in the next year or so I need to have this lump removed from my head (the medical bills seem to never stop...), and I'll shave it then.

Originally Posted by StinnerOzz View Post
    Being cautious is good at any age! I know plenty of people in their 20s and 30s who never listen to their bodies or take precaution, and they're endlessly paying for it. Trust yourself
    I was cautious in my 30s and 40s and still managed to injure myself. Can't afford an injury at 53 on any level.

~~ * ~~

Okay, quick run-through of the last three sessions:

Thursday
    haven't done squats in years and my body is begging for something different. Propped the spinlocks on my shoulders and hung on my inversion table between sets to pop everything back out in my spine. Felt the quads tearing in the first set and I couldn't believe how hard just 10# per shoulder felt -- but it was so, so, so good to feel muscle tissue tearing!
    spinlock shoulder squats: 10# x 10 reps for an agonizing 5 sets

right from there to deads, as much as my body begged me not to do them...
    floor deads: 50# 10 reps for 4 sets and cried during every set

i was pretty well sick to my stomach after deads and that's all i had time for that day. was delighted with the feeling of being back in it.

Saturday
    only had a few minutes again but wanted to finish up hamstrings at least...

SLDLs: 30#-10; 40# - 10; 50# - 10, then AMRAP for 16

single legged SLDLs; 10# spinlocks - 6, 8, 10! ... as i warmed up, the reps came out

have been jones-ing for some bench dips...so...i superset the above with them...
    bench dips: 9, 10, 10 <-- tough, tough, tough, but felt fantasic

Sunday

thorough workout today. back with a set of bi's to balance the dips yesterday

BO straight bar rows, OH grip: 40# - 12; 50# - 12, 12; 60# - 9; 50# - 12

SA spinlock rows: 20#-10, 12; 26#-8, 8; 20#- 12

rope upright rows: 23# x 8 reps x 4 sets
    superset with
    rear flyes: 10db x 10 reps x 4 sets <-- time to move up to 10# spinlocks on these

finished with
    concentration curls: 10# spinlocks - 10, 10, 8 <--nearly had to assist myself on reps 7&8 here!

~~ * ~~

okay, gotta get ready for work. i'll check in with everyone else's journal tonight or tomorrow.

cheers, everyone -- and happy sunday!
    athi

but it was so, so, so good to feel muscle tissue tearing!
    spinlock shoulder squats: 10# x 10 reps for an agonizing 5 sets

right from there to deads, as much as my body begged me not to do them...
    floor deads: 50# 10 reps for 4 sets and cried during every set

i was pretty well sick to my stomach after deads ..............

Sis.........I think your body hates you.

Sis.........I think your body hates you.
    unfortunately, not as much as i'd hope it would hate me! i was sore but not horribly sore...not "oh my god i need help getting off the toilet" sore.

no workout today. i was going to be too rushed to be relaxed, if that makes sense. went to work today and discovered my day off tomorrow isn't a day off...i was put on the schedule to work side by side with the new girl...and let's just say that i'll be auditing her work at the end of the shift. tomorrow's plan for a workout is a core and chest workout. fingers crossed.

okay, finally back in the states! didn't get anything much done by way of a workout. i think i did ten pushups on two different mornings while i was gone. since i didn't stay in one place very long the first month in nepal, i didn't go back to the little gym (or to any of the others around town) to join up and i managed to not bother to do anything in my room. i never acclimated on this trip...my heart was racing all the time and my asthma was acting up. got to *****, however, and was floored at the gyms there -- including gold's gym! i've decided when i go back (eventually) i'm definitely going thru ***** again (partly because i want to go back to the souks and really have a look around) and definitely gonna hit the gym while i'm there.

first morning back, went to the barn to get myself into the groove when the hubby worked out. i kept it simple and light but it didn't feel light at all.

bench squats to warm up: 0-10 reps; 10#db - 10 x 2 sets

spinlock squats: 10# each x 6 reps x 3 sets

sldls: 30# x 6 reps x 3 sets

that's honestly all my legs could take...unfortunately.

i'm thrilled that i took my lysol wipes on every flight with me. wiped down every inch of both arm rests, every inch of the seat belt, and every millimeter of the screen on the seatback in front of me and the tray table! i think it helped keep me healthy. also, i just kept thinking about all these travelers from around the country, many who don't use soap when/if they do wash their hands...and lots of adults who still pick their noses...ick.

tomorrow is another work out. yay!
    ~athi

okay, finally back in the states! didn't get anything much done by way of a workout. i think i did ten pushups on two different mornings while i was gone. since i didn't stay in one place very long the first month in nepal, i didn't go back to the little gym (or to any of the others around town) to join up and i managed to not bother to do anything in my room. i never acclimated on this trip...my heart was racing all the time and my asthma was acting up. got to *****, however, and was floored at the gyms there -- including gold's gym! i've decided when i go back (eventually) i'm definitely going thru ***** again (partly because i want to go back to the souks and really have a look around) and definitely gonna hit the gym while i'm there.

first morning back, went to the barn to get myself into the groove when the hubby worked out. i kept it simple and light but it didn't feel light at all.

bench squats to warm up: 0-10 reps; 10#db - 10 x 2 sets

spinlock squats: 10# each x 6 reps x 3 sets

sldls: 30# x 6 reps x 3 sets

that's honestly all my legs could take...unfortunately.

i'm thrilled that i took my lysol wipes on every flight with me. wiped down every inch of both arm rests, every inch of the seat belt, and every millimeter of the screen on the seatback in front of me and the tray table! i think it helped keep me healthy. also, i just kept thinking about all these travelers from around the country, many who don't use soap when/if they do wash their hands...and lots of adults who still pick their noses...ick.

tomorrow is another work out. yay!
    ~athi
    Great to have you back, Athena! My daughter spent a summer in Nepal a few years back, and it left her with some health issues that took time to correct. My wife's acupuncturist worked in Nepal for a while and came back with unpleasant eye infections. Sounds like that part of the world is not for the faint of heart!

Take your time, and ease back into it. I'll bet you feel a big relief right now!
    -Voltaire

PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000) PtReyesGreg is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Welcome back Athena! That would be great to travel to Nepal and *****. I'm super jealous.
    If in doubt, squat and run hills. So you walk into the gym and don't know what to do? Then squat and run hills. Have a miserable day at work and want to break someone's neck but aren't sure who's? Then squat and run hills. - Wendler

ISSA Certified Personal Trainer
    My Blog: https://slavinstrength.wordpress.com/
    IG: @greg_slavin

Welcome back Athi. Would love to hear more about your trip.

Great to have you back, Athena! My daughter spent a summer in Nepal a few years back, and it left her with some health issues that took time to correct. My wife's acupuncturist worked in Nepal for a while and came back with unpleasant eye infections. Sounds like that part of the world is not for the faint of heart!

Take your time, and ease back into it. I'll bet you feel a big relief right now!
    Originally Posted by PtReyesGreg View Post
    Welcome back Athena! That would be great to travel to Nepal and *****. I'm super jealous.
    Welcome back Athi. Would love to hear more about your trip.
    Well, I gave up trying to keep my journal updated because the system wouldn't let me. It kept taking a rest day. [insert angry face emoji here]

Right about now, I'm looking pretty damned smart about wiping every surface with Lysol wipes on every flight I took!

Okay, quick update: Have quit my job at the assisted living facility. While other places were in lockdown already, we were considering implementing visiting hours. i don't know about the conversations behind the scenes, but I do know my right knee is trashed, my left wrist will never be the same, I wasn't sleeping well because of the hours, and I'd put on 12 pounds (although it looks closer to 15) during my time there. Oh, and did I mention my hair was falling out? Yup. Big ol' chunk of hair -- I mean, big...as in 2.5 inches in diameter -- missing from the side of my head and hair thinning everywhere.

So, it was time to quit anyway.

Went back to work with Mama June, the 96 year old woman who lives with her daughter and son in law, and who's basically in isolation. There are two other caregivers there, one of whom is overly, over-the-top, freaked out about COVID-19, and the other who kind of seems to be taking it seriously. We have our precautions and are doing okay thus far.

Have had time to help the hubby around the ranch and to work on the tractor with him, too. Yay! Sleeping much better and back on my natural sleep schedule. Yay! Workouts have started up again. Yay!

I'm driving myself crazy. I want to do yoga every day, run every day, bike every day, and lift four times a week. Um...no. Keeping the weights simple for right now and it feels good. Started running again even though I'm not supposed to. Went out Saturday evening for a run and pushed so hard I was physically sick. I didn't throw up, but I was just sick all over. You couldn't touch my diaphragm or my belly, because my rectus abdominus was just that sore. Still sore Sunday and didn't feel good because of it. Felt a little better Monday, and somewhat better today. I can't believe I had to take three days off, but I'm trying to be smart about getting enough rest.

Into it five week now and the weight hasn't budged. So I'm changing my morning pre-breakfast routine to see if that will help. Fortunately, the day I gave notice, my compulsive eating stopped cold. Double yay!

Okay, let's see if the system will take this post. If not, you'll never know, eh? Hahaha!

Well, I gave up trying to keep my journal updated because the system wouldn't let me. It kept taking a rest day. [insert angry face emoji here]

Right about now, I'm looking pretty damned smart about wiping every surface with Lysol wipes on every flight I took!

Okay, quick update: Have quit my job at the assisted living facility. While other places were in lockdown already, we were considering implementing visiting hours. i don't know about the conversations behind the scenes, but I do know my right knee is trashed, my left wrist will never be the same, I wasn't sleeping well because of the hours, and I'd put on 12 pounds (although it looks closer to 15) during my time there. Oh, and did I mention my hair was falling out? Yup. Big ol' chunk of hair -- I mean, big...as in 2.5 inches in diameter -- missing from the side of my head and hair thinning everywhere.

So, it was time to quit anyway.

Went back to work with Mama June, the 96 year old woman who lives with her daughter and son in law, and who's basically in isolation. There are two other caregivers there, one of whom is overly, over-the-top, freaked out about COVID-19, and the other who kind of seems to be taking it seriously. We have our precautions and are doing okay thus far.

Have had time to help the hubby around the ranch and to work on the tractor with him, too. Yay! Sleeping much better and back on my natural sleep schedule. Yay! Workouts have started up again. Yay!

I'm driving myself crazy. I want to do yoga every day, run every day, bike every day, and lift four times a week. Um...no. Keeping the weights simple for right now and it feels good. Started running again even though I'm not supposed to. Went out Saturday evening for a run and pushed so hard I was physically sick. I didn't throw up, but I was just sick all over. You couldn't touch my diaphragm or my belly, because my rectus abdominus was just that sore. Still sore Sunday and didn't feel good because of it. Felt a little better Monday, and somewhat better today. I can't believe I had to take three days off, but I'm trying to be smart about getting enough rest.

Into it five week now and the weight hasn't budged. So I'm changing my morning pre-breakfast routine to see if that will help. Fortunately, the day I gave notice, my compulsive eating stopped cold. Double yay!

Okay, let's see if the system will take this post. If not, you'll never know, eh? Hahaha!
    glad to see you posting again, Athena. And yes, I know, I know! Sounds like you've been handling way more stress than is good for you. I hope your current situation works out better.
    -Voltaire

StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StinnerOzz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My mother lives in a nursing home and they've been completely locked down w/no visiting hours since early March if not late Feb! It may as well be that way, I'm sure if they opened it up someone from out in public would eventually harm people.
    Lifting. Hockey. Headbanging.

My Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175144571

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's great to know you're still alive and kicking. God bless you for the work you do.

Keep doing what you can. It'll come together at some point.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

glad to see you posting again, Athena. And yes, I know, I know! Sounds like you've been handling way more stress than is good for you. I hope your current situation works out better.
    Yes, I was under increasing stress both physically and mentally. It was tough: I had finally found a place to work where I loved 99% of the people with whom I worked and had a job I loved, but I need more money (let's be honest, I'm 54 and need to get back to making reasonably good money before I even think about retiring) and I need less physical trashing.

Originally Posted by StinnerOzz View Post
    My mother lives in a nursing home and they've been completely locked down w/no visiting hours since early March if not late Feb! It may as well be that way, I'm sure if they opened it up someone from out in public would eventually harm people.
    Yup. My sister works for a company in Chicago that builds and runs assisted living facilities. They went into lockdown in late February, had a huge staff meeting to explain everything, and implemented precautions above and beyond the basics. And COVID-19 hadn't even been discovered in Illinois yet!

Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    It's great to know you're still alive and kicking. God bless you for the work you do.

Keep doing what you can. It'll come together at some point.
    Thanks, Marius. It's so good to see you back as well! Thanks also for the kind words about what I do. I'm in a holding pattern now with my nonprofit. Things are really tough in Nepal (we haven't expanded out to other countries yet) and the elders are especially suffering. Lots of them are homeless and living in makeshift shelters -- I can't get my government contacts to tell me what's happened to them during this lockdown.

Okay, enough about all that!

Yesterday I did 55 minutes on my bike on the trainer. My hubs and I knocked together a table a couple of weeks ago so I could set up my laptop and watch Netflix while I was riding. So I've been on the trainer more often. My ultimate goal is to ride back and forth to Mama June's. She's at a higher elevation than us, so it's a trip straight downhill from here, then a ride up the highway, then back straight up a long hill on which I've never, ever seen another cyclist. I've done it once before and I spent a LOT of time walking my bike up parts of that hill.

After that, I did 5 sets of 12 modified pushups along with 4 sets of 20 total side lunges (10 each side), bodyweight only.

This a.m., I was back on the bike for 45 minutes, then started to do some straight bar, 30# overhead presses but there was no way. I checked out back of the barn, where the ranch owner was helping the hubs split wood and went back inside and changed, then headed back out to help . The 80 year old ranch owner was sitting on the ground in front of the splitter, then he'd reach over and struggle to get a 1/3 round over and set up. It was nerve-wracking. He's careless and they'd already done about six cords already this year, each time nearly injuring the hubs. I started to pull rounds and half rounds off the stack and helped set them up on the splitter, and set the smaller ones down near the ranch owner if he could manage them. There was the rest of my workout: Tons of 30-75 pound deadlifts and farmer's carries to finish off the last cord of wood.

Tomorrow it's back to the bike plus an upper body workout.