Thread: Newbie

thevibe2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I joined the gym 6 weeks ago, i have been going approximately once a week, spending an hour on the machines. In my session i have been doing the usual upper body exercises, i tend to walk 2 miles a day so not concentrated on my lower body. I see there are loads of workout programmes out there but they all involve 3 or 4 visits to the gym a week, with my lifestyle i struggle to attend more than twice weekly. Are there any weekly workouts out there?

I have noticed a change in my body and the muscle growing during my short time I've been going, i tend to lift on the machines anything from 15k - 25kg over 3 sets of 5-10 reps, the later i tend not to be able to overcome, this maybe because i need to attend more regular i don't know.

I also tend to hold my excess weight around my stomach (not talking loads), i aim to gain a lean flat stomach can you offer any advice, will the gym help over time, currently I weigh 72kg, 180cm tall.

BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000)
    Allpro is a good workout that can be done twice a week ... you just do 2 heavy sessions per week instead of a heavy, medium and light session. Its full body so pretty much hits everything in the one workout plus it incorporates a progression scheme too.
    Cheers,
    Bill K

Mcash540 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by thevibe2 View Post
    I joined the gym 6 weeks ago, i have been going approximately once a week, spending an hour on the machines. In my session i have been doing the usual upper body exercises, i tend to walk 2 miles a day so not concentrated on my lower body. I see there are loads of workout programmes out there but they all involve 3 or 4 visits to the gym a week, with my lifestyle i struggle to attend more than twice weekly. Are there any weekly workouts out there?

I have noticed a change in my body and the muscle growing during my short time I've been going, i tend to lift on the machines anything from 15k - 25kg over 3 sets of 5-10 reps, the later i tend not to be able to overcome, this maybe because i need to attend more regular i don't know.

I also tend to hold my excess weight around my stomach (not talking loads), i aim to gain a lean flat stomach can you offer any advice, will the gym help over time, currently I weigh 72kg, 180cm tall.
    Patience/consistency is the biggest key. The gym work will surely help and a decent eating plan goes along way. Typically at our age stomach fat will be the last thing to go. Try not become obsessed with staring at one area and just work on weight loss as a whole body goal and the rest will fall in place.

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have noticed a change in my body and the muscle growing during my short time I've been going, i tend to lift on the machines anything from 15k - 25kg over 3 sets of 5-10 reps, the later i tend not to be able to overcome, this maybe because i need to attend more regular i don't know..
    I'd look into an organized weights program with a built in progression model and greater frequency (more workouts per week).

Nutrition forum has some good info, might be worth a review to be sure you are supporting your goals with your diet.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i tend to walk 2 miles a day so not concentrated on my lower body.
    Walking is good, don't quit it. You still need to add some resistance training for your lower half though. It's got a multitude of benefits and walking isn't enough.
    330->210. Drop me a PM if you're just getting started and want some advice.
    Do what you love and you'll never workout a day in your life.

beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50) beerbelly will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I have found "The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40" by Jonathon Sullivan and Andy Baker to be extremely helpful and geared towards our demographics (over 40 strength training). To start, I think it has you on a basic linear progression similar to Starting Strength, but with adaptations for being over 40 (such as lifting whole body two times per week, cutting back squat volume if your knees hurt, etc.). I would highly recommend that book to start. Once you get comfortable with the gym and start stalling on linear progress, you can shift over to cutting more weight/bodybuilding, strength training, whatever.

Good luck!