TaipeiJustin is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How do yawl manage your diet in the modern world?

Hi everybody^^

I’ve been slowly bringing myself back from a morbid obese weight of 230kgs... I’m now 110kgs, but i still have another 30kgs or so that i’d like to lose and i’m finding it really challenging to keep my eating tight while also having a life.

I’d love to hear tips from those of you who are maintaining a high level of fitness. How do you maintain it on a day to day basis? I’d love your tips!

Thanks all and stay strong!^^

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    It really comes down to priorities and making smart choices. You can eat less during the day so you have more calories if you go out at night. You can also choose lesser calorie options (ie, lean meat like chicken or steak, salad without dressing/olives, etc).

hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000) hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000) hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000) hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000) hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000) hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000) hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000) hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000) hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000) hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000) hawaiistack is just really nice. (+1000)
    Congrats on the weight loss man that's alot to shed.
    I'd say the obvious I guess, good food choices and make it a lifestyle rather than a diet. I will add that having more muscle mass increases your calorie maintenance, so if you're not focusing your goals on weight training, do that.
    More muscle= more you can eat
    **Hates stupid Hats crew**

MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have a very small breakfast so I can eat more later on (I'm never hungry in the morning anyway).

I use the MyFitnessPal app so even if I eat out or eat "bad" foods I try and fit them in my macros and calories.

If I go over my alloted number of calories one day, then ah well, there's always tomorrow.

I schedule when I eat out and have cheat meals (where possible) so they're spread out and not several days in a row.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I just eat when I feel hungry... making sure each time I do I get a decent protein source if I can, and that most of my meals contain vegetables, some fruit, etc..

Pretty hard to gain lots of fat when you eat a lot of veggies and whole foods...

I don't track calories or macros... did that for over a decade and it gets very old, to the point where I was 'building meals' in my head hours before even eating them... that's a huge distraction.

Nowdays I just go meal to meal based on hunger, whether im training or planning on being active, and choose stuff that has good nutritional value and sits well/makes me feel good.

It's kind of silly to me that people are concerned that if they just eat like an adult, make common-sense choices, that they'll get huge. I mean really, does anyone think they'd FEEL good eating multiple king-sized candy bars, pints of ice cream, donuts, pizzas, etc, every day and nothing else?

It's balancing act... you need to factor in taste as well as what you feel like afterward.
    Last edited by AdamWW; 11-03-2018 at 09:42 AM.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    In a modern world? You mean with more choices? Mot sure what the question is...unless sarcastic
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by desslok View Post
    In a modern world? You mean with more choices? Mot sure what the question is...unless sarcastic
    I read "modern world" to mean with more people pestering you to eat out, and many foods being highly processed and with hidden sugars, etc.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by MrCarrot View Post
    I read "modern world" to mean with more people pestering you to eat out, and many foods being highly processed and with hidden sugars, etc.
    sugars are listed on labels. they're not 'hiding'.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    consider something like Intermittent Fasting to help manage your appetite. try to cook as much of your own food as possible, try to find the nutritional information for the restaurants that your friends like to frequent. try to exercise common sense and moderation: focus on a good entree and filling sides, skip the sweet drinks and the appetizers as just an example.
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000) Nedo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Firstly, hats off on the weight loss man!

Eat an abundance of different foods you like and keep switching it up, variety is the spice of life. Know that its also okay to deviate from time to time especially if you are back on track the next day.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by MrCarrot View Post
    As compared to what the ancient world, are we going back to the Mesozoic era? As if 50 years ago people didn't ask you to go out to lunch with them. I laughed at hidden sugars so hard my face hurts.

OP I eat a balanced and varied diet. I eat when I'm hungry. I avoid getting too hungry by eating 3-5 meals a day depending on my activity and hunger. I use moderation and common sense as well as remembering my long term goals to keep me on the right track. The fit of my clothes is an easy indicator of if I am eating too much or moving too little, or vice versa.

Originally Posted by TaipeiJustin View Post
    i’m finding it really challenging to keep my eating tight while also having a life.
    That is pretty common. Years of overeating tends to build habits. I've found that none of my friends really care what I eat. I can have fun and enjoy their company without overeating. I'm really the problem, I have to learn new habits to avoid overeating, because I don't have good habits.

If somebody tried to push food on me I'd just say no. I'm an adult I decide what I eat, do, and think. If you are having problems with boundaries, consider seeking the aid of a counselor.
    Last edited by EjnarKolinkar; 11-09-2018 at 08:40 AM.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl