bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Nordic Lifting Shoes/Sleeves

Not sure how often this part of the forum is used for equipment REVIEWS, but here's one.

I've been on the fence about buying knee sleeves and squat shoes for a long time. Honestly, it was mostly ego. My squat isn't particularly good (~315 @ 170BW) so I didn't want to look all goofy, showing up in my powerlifter gear and busting out some 250lb squats.
    Then I heard about the Smolov program, and I know I'm probably going to get some criticism for trying out such an intense peaking program for little reason other than to push myself and see how high I can push it, but that's not the point of this thread haha.
    So anyways, I was reading up on this program to see if I really wanted to do it, and one of the most common things I heard people saying was "yeah, it bumped my squat up 100 pounds, but I have arthritis in my knees now". That wasn't particularly appealing, at 18 years old.
    So I started REALLY looking at squat shoes and sleeves. Basically said, "**** it, I'm already doing this program that I realistically shouldn't be doing, I'm at least going to be safe about it. Hell with ego".
    BEST DECISION

I settled on the Nordic Lifting 7mm Neoprene Knee Sleeves and the Nordic Lifting Men's Squat Shoe, for a combination of reasons; chiefly the fact that I got shoes and sleeves for <$120, compared to $200+ for some of the nice Adidas shoes.

Honestly, best $120 I ever spent. They're so much nicer than I could have hoped for, and the difference is incredible. It felt a bit weird to squat with a significantly elevated heel, after 4+ months of doing all my lifts in socks, but after a couple sets I started noticing how much smoother everything felt. Yesterday, I hit a 10x3 @275lbs--last time I squatted 275lbs was a few weeks ago, and it was for a 3x5 that almost killed me. I know that the biggest factor in being able to hit weights like that is just that I'm getting stronger, but I fully attribute the fact that my knees didn't hate me afterwards to this new gear. Even the slow, grinding reps have been smoother than they used to--something about that slightly compression on the knees and little bit of lift in the heel with the hard sole, makes a world of difference.

Never in my life have I been so excited at the fact that I *get to* squat heavy 4x per week. I'm so excited to see what my max is at the end of the first four weeks of the program--maybe I'll post a video.

Until then, I hope that someone who's been thinking about taking the leap and buying shoes and/or sleeves sees this and it helps convince you to make the purchase--you'll be so happy if you do.
    Last edited by bLinkMoore; 10-14-2018 at 11:37 PM.
    BP: 280
    SQ: 455
    DL: 585
    Bodyweight 185