LuRui89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Calculate meals to reach macronutrient grams

Hey everyone,

After reading a lot of articles on this site, I've found it's very difficult to know if any given meal plan is right for me.

I'm sure they try to be as generic as possible, but I don't know if the amounts of food they suggest would actually help me build muscle or rather build fat.
    More importantly, I don't want to feel the effects of some wacky, or poorly executed, diet plan that would cause me grief in my professional life.

I tried using their calculator to determine my ideal macronutrient intake, and then I tried recording what I ate throughout the day.
    That was helpful but at the end of the day, for the last meal, there was always a specific amount I'd need to eat to reach the goal.

Given that especially nutrition affects everything throughout the day (focus, energy, stress), do you feel it's important to reach macronutrient/micronutrient goals with any significant level (+/- 5%) of precision?

formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) formicaman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Read the stickies. Namely https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001.
    You don't need a specific meal plan. Eat the foods you enjoy while making sure to hit your minimum protein (0.7-0.8 g/lb) and fats (0.4 g/lb) and getting enough fruits/veggies.

T0rM3nTeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) T0rM3nTeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) T0rM3nTeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) T0rM3nTeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) T0rM3nTeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) T0rM3nTeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) T0rM3nTeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) T0rM3nTeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) T0rM3nTeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) T0rM3nTeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250) T0rM3nTeD has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You're too worried about it and making it too technical. It's very simple.

1. Figure out how many calories you need to eat (are you trying to maintain weight, gain weight, lose weight).
    2. Eat a MINIMUM of 0.8g protein per lb of weight and 0.4g fat per lb of weight (so if you weigh 150lbs, 120g protein and 60g fat for example)

That's it.

You can eat more protein or fat if you want, you can eat as many carbs as you want. Just eat the right amount of calories, and eat the minimum protein and fat.

It absolutely is possible that I am making it too technical, and I generally agree with the approach you and formicaman suggested.

But there's got to be a reason some people weigh their foods to the exact gram for every meal. Anecdotally, those people seem to get great results.
    I'm just wondering if you think there's merit to reaching some goals very precisely (assuming it can easily be done).

Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by LuRui89 View Post
    It absolutely is possible that I am making it too technical, and I generally agree with the approach you and formicaman suggested.

But there's got to be a reason some people weigh their foods to the exact gram for every meal. Anecdotally, those people seem to get great results.
    I'm just wondering if you think there's merit to reaching some goals very precisely (assuming it can easily be done).
    People who weigh their meals that precisely are either OCD, competing or some blend of both.
    “Other gyms use machines… CrossFit builds them”

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

The reason people weigh their food is because it gives them a stable measurement, not because those measurements are exact reflections of caloric content or what they 'need' to get to their goal.

Because your body is not a 'closed system' and there are always multiple variables effecting muscle gain, training effectiveness, and energy expenditure, you literally can never know what you take in, what you burn, or how much you're growing/shrinking from fat or lean body mass; it just isn't possible.

However, again, by picking a consistent measurement system (ie - people who weigh foods), you at least control for one of the possible variables to a degree, and that is your intake. It'll never be spot-on, but again it helps steady the boat.

It is absolutely not required, but in many cases people who are 'into fitness' aren't necessarily the best at guessing how much energy they're taking in... try eye-balling 32grams (1 serving) of peanut butter and see how close you get... it's not easy for most people.

That being said, some people (I am one of them), do not weigh things at all.... however, I did also track/weigh/measure my foods for well over a decade, so at this point there is no reason for me to do so.... if I need to be in a surplus, I just do so with my knowledge. If I ever cut again, I know what it looks/feels like to be cutting...
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I've had pretty solid cutting and bulking results hitting min fat and protein goals described by tormented.

Hitting specific grams is nonsense. Doubt any pros even do it

Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    The reason people weigh their food is because it gives them a stable measurement, not because those measurements are exact reflections of caloric content or what they 'need' to get to their goal.

Because your body is not a 'closed system' and there are always multiple variables effecting muscle gain, training effectiveness, and energy expenditure, you literally can never know what you take in, what you burn, or how much you're growing/shrinking from fat or lean body mass; it just isn't possible.

However, again, by picking a consistent measurement system (ie - people who weigh foods), you at least control for one of the possible variables to a degree, and that is your intake. It'll never be spot-on, but again it helps steady the boat.

It is absolutely not required, but in many cases people who are 'into fitness' aren't necessarily the best at guessing how much energy they're taking in... try eye-balling 32grams (1 serving) of peanut butter and see how close you get... it's not easy for most people.

That being said, some people (I am one of them), do not weigh things at all.... however, I did also track/weigh/measure my foods for well over a decade, so at this point there is no reason for me to do so.... if I need to be in a surplus, I just do so with my knowledge. If I ever cut again, I know what it looks/feels like to be cutting...
    Sorry I know it's tedious to go back and forth about this. You gave a great answer.

So for someone just starting out, or getting back into it after a long break, it's not totally unreasonable to measure food (not necessarily to the exact gram with a scale).

I couldn't eyeball 32 grams of peanut butter on a cutting board, but I know it takes 2 tablespoons to equal 32 grams.
    Furthermore, I can calculate the amount I need to reach, say, a protein shake. For example, it takes 1 rounded scoop of Gold Standard Whey, 15 average sized blueberries, and about 1/2 tablespoon peanut butter to reach the macronutrients in a 14 oz Muscle Milk Vanilla Creme protein shake to within a gram.

It takes about 30 seconds to do that calculation and minimal time measuring.

The problem seems to be more a matter of "how much is needed" rather than "can we get to the exact amount". Does that seem fair?
    Last edited by LuRui89; 10-16-2018 at 06:03 PM.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Sorry I know it's tedious to go back and forth about this. You gave a great answer.

So for someone just starting out, or getting back into it after a long break, it's not totally unreasonable to measure food (not necessarily to the exact gram with a scale).
    I couldn't eyeball 32 grams of peanut butter on a cutting board, but I know it takes 2 tablespoons to equal 32 grams.
    Furthermore, I can calculate the amount I need to reach, say, a protein shake. For example, it takes 1 rounded scoop of Gold Standard Whey, 15 average sized blueberries, and about 1/2 tablespoon peanut butter to reach the macronutrients in a 14 oz Muscle Milk Vanilla Creme protein shake to within a gram.
    It takes about 30 seconds to do that calculation and minimal time measuring.

The problem seems to be more a matter of "how much is needed" rather than "can we get to the exact amount". Does that seem fair?

Whether you're bulking or cutting, you'll likely be aiming for a surplus or a deficit with enough 'wiggle room' that over or undershooting total calories for a day won't happen unless you really f*ck up.

For example, if you're trying to 'cut', and you're targeting a -500 calorie target for a day, that's a pretty big margin to play with, especially if you're just a casual lifter trying to trim down.

Similarly, when you're bulking, hitting the calorie number is going to be most important for 99% of people. I say this because, as active people with some experience in nutrition/tracking, you know what foods are highest in protein, carbs, and fats... UNELSS you're having a meal out and they're cooking with tons of oil, etc...

In my case, for example, I don't even bother thinking about protein, carbs, and fats, because although I might not always eat the 'perfect' or 'optimal' amount of protein per day, or the 'perfect' amount of fats, etc, I'm ALWAYS able to get enough of everything to function at a high level. As long as total energy intake is sufficient, there's zero chance I won't hit my minimums.

That is, in my opinion, the best way to go about it... at least for me. I make sure each meal as a protein component, I make sure I include some fats here and there, and I make sure my total calories are above my maintenance. As long as I'm not hungry and have lots of energy, I know i'm in a surplus.

If you're not as intuitive as I am, targeting protein and total calories is a good option.
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"