imnotchad is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Trying to bulk up my obliques with little success - Narrow waist (Progress Pics)

I'm pretty self conscious about how narrow my waist is. I have broad shoulders and wide hips/big legs, so it is pretty noticeable. When I started lifting ~4 months ago, I made it a focus of mine to add and increase heavy weight to my core/oblique exercises. Fortunately, I see growth in my arms and back, unfortunately my waist isn't seeing much progress. Looking for advice on what muscles to hit/workouts to do so I can thicken my midsection. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Don't worry about bulking up your waist. Focus on your back, shoulders and chest - broadening this area will allow you to have a great V-taper. Target your core with regular volume.

For the record, the photos look fine.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That's the gist of it pretty much.

Oblique work isn't very transformative to shape in that way.

dzd17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dzd17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dzd17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dzd17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dzd17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dzd17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dzd17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dzd17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dzd17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dzd17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dzd17 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Doubt it's worse than me. At 12% body fat (about half a year ago), I was measuring at a 27.5" waist (and I could still pull a good one inch of fat around my waist), 35" hips, 24" quads.

bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by imnotchad View Post
    I'm pretty self conscious about how narrow my waist is. I have broad shoulders and wide hips/big legs, so it is pretty noticeable. When I started lifting ~4 months ago, I made it a focus of mine to add and increase heavy weight to my core/oblique exercises. Fortunately, I see growth in my arms and back, unfortunately my waist isn't seeing much progress. Looking for advice on what muscles to hit/workouts to do so I can thicken my midsection. Thanks in advance.
    Don't be self conscious about a narrow waist, that's what gives you the nice V-taper in your upper body, and with big legs comes the X-shape. That's pretty much the goal. Your waist SHOULDN'T be getting significantly wider, so definitely don't be concerned that yours isn't. If you really wanted to work on building muscle in your obliques, then classic exercises like Russian Twists would be a good place to start.

Honestly though, I'd just do some light overall ab work and then focus on developing your shoulders, back, and quads for the taper.
    BP: 280
    SQ: 455
    DL: 585
    Bodyweight 185

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bLinkMoore View Post
    Don't be self conscious about a narrow waist, that's what gives you the nice V-taper in your upper body, and with big legs comes the X-shape. That's pretty much the goal. Your waist SHOULDN'T be getting significantly wider, so definitely don't be concerned that yours isn't. If you really wanted to work on building muscle in your obliques, then classic exercises like Russian Twists would be a good place to start.

Honestly though, I'd just do some light overall ab work and then focus on developing your shoulders, back, and quads for the taper.
    His problem is that the V-taper ends too high. The lats come down to the upper four abdominals and the hips are actually too pronounced at that point. The misconception I think is that people want to widen that area particularly at the top, but obliques aren't what fills it out.

bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    His problem is that the V-taper ends too high. The lats come down to the upper four abdominals and the hips are actually too pronounced at that point. The misconception I think is that people want to widen that area particularly at the top, but obliques aren't what fills it out.
    Ohh I see what you mean. He wants the V-taper, but he wants it to come down farther and so in order to do that he wants to widen his waist so that the drop-off isn't as sharp.
    Yeah that's not something that's gonna be changed much by doing some oblique work haha
    BP: 280
    SQ: 455
    DL: 585
    Bodyweight 185

imnotchad is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    What might you suggest could fill it out, or what muscle groups would give me a more proportional look if I targeted/got them bigger?

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    your obliques won't hypertrophy very much unfortunately

Originally Posted by imnotchad View Post
    What might you suggest could fill it out, or what muscle groups would give me a more proportional look if I targeted/got them bigger?
    Chest and back progress to take emphasis away. I do think lower body work will have some influence, but not sure. Aside it looks like you might benefit from even a touch of direct ab work.

maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000) maddog352002 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I also noticed that your bf dropped or at a minimum stayed the same. Have you been seeing increases in muscle mass in other areas. Are your lifts increasing across the board?

Also genetics play a huge roll. Best of luck.