Thread: My New Journey

Excaliburger is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile My New Journey

Hi, my name is Anthony. For a decent chunk of my life, I've been overweight. It hasn't always been like that though. When I was younger, I was really fit because my dad had me and my sister do daily exercise routines, and sports as an after-school thing. After 2nd grade, I started living with my mom, and that's when I started eating horribly, not working out, and gaining a lot of weight. I'm 22 now, and I'm kinda done being overweight. The heaviest I've ever been was 334 lbs, and that was 3 weeks ago. I came down to Texas a little before that time, and that's when my dad kept providing me with nothing but clean food. Even without doing a lot of exercise, I've dropped down to 319 lbs. Last I checked was Tuesday, October 9th, 2018. That same day was the day I started doing the Keto diet, as well as implementing intermittent fasting. Today is Thursday, October 11th, 2018, and I'm looking forward to doing this. This is the first time I've looked forward to doing anything in a very long time.

I'm not sure how often I'll be posting, but I will try to do it weekly. I'll be exercising every day, and I plan to fast every other day. I'm not eating too much, and I'll increase intake as needed. I'll be posting pictures of my body as it is right now, as well as the only meal I had today.

Next weigh-in and post should be Tuesday, October 16th, 2018. I'm really curious as to what 2 days has done, and the anticipation is really making me want to weigh myself now, but I'll hold back until Tuesday, and hopefully we see some results.
    Attached Images

Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Congrats on the lifestyle change and good luck. With that said, I HIGHLY recommend that you drop the keto, IF, fasting route and get on a routine that is sustainable. Read the stickies in the nutrition section. It’s all about calories in versus calories out.
    “Other gyms use machines… CrossFit builds them”

DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Vandeman17 View Post
    Congrats on the lifestyle change and good luck. With that said, I HIGHLY recommend that you drop the keto, IF, fasting route and get on a routine that is sustainable. Read the stickies in the nutrition section. It’s all about calories in versus calories out.
    First off, hi, and you have WAY more expertise than me. But, if the Keto route is showing progress for him, and he’s having no problems sustaining it, then what would be the benefit in dropping it?

I don’t do keto or fast, but I’ve tried it before, and it’s ability to quench hunger seems extremely useful to me during a weight loss journey. Especially if the OP enjoys it and it works for him.

Also congrats on embarking on this journey OP. :-)

Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DreadPir8 View Post
    First off, hi, and you have WAY more expertise than me. But, if the Keto route is showing progress for him, and he’s having no problems sustaining it, then what would be the benefit in dropping it?

I don’t do keto or fast, but I’ve tried it before, and it’s ability to quench hunger seems extremely useful to me during a weight loss journey. Especially if the OP enjoys it and it works for him.

Also congrats on embarking on this journey OP. :-)
    My response was based upon the combination of doing keto, IF and having a fasting day as once. People who are very overweight had to work to get there and often try to rush results through trendy/fad diets. My advice was that the same results can be achieved through portion control and caloric deficit. I am a firm believer in keeping things simple and sustainable, especially for newer people
    “Other gyms use machines… CrossFit builds them”

DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000) DreadPir8 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Vandeman17 View Post
    My response was based upon the combination of doing keto, IF and having a fasting day as once. People who are very overweight had to work to get there and often try to rush results through trendy/fad diets. My advice was that the same results can be achieved through portion control and caloric deficit. I am a firm believer in keeping things simple and sustainable, especially for newer people
    I gotcha. Thanks for the response.

I tried keto for 2 weeks (obviously never got into ketosis), but IF was extremely easy for me during that time because I was NEVER hungry. And I’m typically a voracious eater.

But eating bacon and butter all the time didn’t seem healthy to me so I stopped. :-)

I appreciate the support guys. The plan right now is to do Keto for a solid month or so since, through the research I've done, it takes roughly 7-30 days to reach ketosis. I would like to say that anything that I put forth like "it takes 7-30 days to reach ketosis" is all from any research I've done, so if there's something I say that could be wrong, I'm more than happy to hear anything that says what I'm seeing is wrong.

Of course, if keto+fasting just isn't working, then I certainly will stop it, but until I hit a point where I realize that it isn't working (excluding plateaus since those are seemingly natural no matter what), then I'll switch to something else. I don't want to be held down by one thing.

Any and all advice is appreciated. My choices are mine to make, and the choice to change my life around from a constant fattening phase is something that is gonna be new, but I don't want to shut myself off from the opinions, options, and advice that people have. I've done too much to myself to be closed off to the ideas of successful people. Regardless, I have my dad to help me through, and he knows a lot of things I could do to help myself. If I have this thread, and my dad, I have no excuse to fail.

Thanks guys. Will always love to hear from you.

Thread update: Today is Tuesday, October 16th, 2018. It is one week after I started Keto and exercise, and it seems to be paying off. Before I post my number, I should probably say how I got the number. In my initial post, I said that I was 319 lbs. I got that number from weighing myself on my scale 3 times and averaging the numbers. I find it more accurate that way. I did the same thing for today's number, and after a solid week of doing Keto and exercising somehow and someway, I've dropped to 312 lbs. Breaking that down day by day, that's a pound a day, and while I think day to day measurements aren't really that significant, assuming I can keep that up, I can be where I want to be by my 23rd birthday, and I think that should be a goal of mine. No longer be overweight by the time I'm 23.

After calculating it out, If I lose at least a pound or more a day, I'll be under my initial goal of 210 by January 29th, and then I just need to keep that going for another 6 weeks, and I'll be at a standard weight for the first time since 2nd grade. I'm

I'm getting excited. It's pretty cool knowing I could be under my weight before I even officially get another year older. The only thing I have to worry about is a plateau, and oh god, let's hope that doesn't happen.

I'll post an update again next Tuesday, October 23rd, 2018. Until then, I hope any who are on their paths to weight loss also have success. I hope I do as well.

misterworkout12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Wow thx for the share

So I haven't updated in a while, and that's due to a few things.

Around this time last week, I had (what seemed like) a heart-attack-like event. The night prior to the event, I could feel something was wrong with me. My arms got kinda pale and the veins became an obvious maze of a deep blue color. My arms were "falling asleep" due to low blood flow or something like that. I didn't think too much of it because I was tired and just wanted to sleep. The next morning, I had the same issue. Slightly less than it had been the night before, so it wasn't too bad. I thought it was getting better. Then, as if Murphy's Law read my thoughts on how I was doing, IT happened. My left arm went cold and numb. The only thing I could feel was how cold it was, and even that was fading. Then in response, my heart leapt from standard sitting down BPM to a number I'm not sure I could fathom in terms of BPM. It started pumping so hard, it was like I had just sprinted as fast as I could. I called my dad, told him that I was gonna call 911 cause that isn't normal or good, and when the ambulance arrived, they were a bit surprised as to who it was. Some 22 year old kid who, as I described, was having a heart attack. I had no idea what it was, I had to describe it quickly for them to have an idea of what was going on. The EMTs said that I was fine after some time, but they have no idea what it was. One of them said that he also did Keto, and it kicked his ass as well. Could've been an effect from Keto, but can't confirm. For the rest of the day and the day after, my heart felt like an overused and sore muscle. I had never felt that before.

Because of that, I stopped working out for about 4 days. I didn't want to risk making another "episode" happen, and since the EMTs had suggested that I might be a tad malnourished because I had eaten so little over the course of 3 weeks, I ate more. I finished off our tortilla wraps and ate similarly to what I had eaten before I moved down here. Pretty much just ate til the feeling of hunger went away. My choices weren't too bad though. Clean meat and carbs. The only thing I lacked was vegetables. Still getting used to that. Love me some BBQ chicken wraps.

So that's pretty much it. Got back into the diet Monday, and same in terms of eating. Ever since Sunday, I've eaten so little. I start the morning with Super Beets and MyoVite for the gym, come back and have a protein shake. Monday's shake had blueberries in it, but Tuesday's didn't. After that, I didn't eat the whole day. Tuesday morning, same thing before gym, come back and have a protein shake. Tried to eat some chicken thighs, but they made me wanna throw up, so I couldn't have had more than 3 small bites. Later that night, microwaved some leftover bacon strips (4 pieces), and then went to bed. Yesterday morning took a break from the gym so muscles could repair. Still slightly sore because the first day I made a mistake that I shouldn't have, but hey, live and learn. I don't think I ate at all yesterday until the Halloween party that I went to. I pretty much filled a bowl of chili and ate through what could essentially be considered a spoonful or 2 of the chili and stopped. Then had some candy because hey, it's a party. A much smaller amount of candy than I would've had if I hadn't been on a diet. All of it was Fun Size, so it was 4 Crunch bars, 2 Twix, and a Snickers with peanut butter. All the tiny Fun Size versions.

I'm still at 313 lbs as of right now. Not sure when that'll drop. As long as I keep up with the diet and exercise, I'll be okay. The updates might still be intermittent though. It's hard for me to stick to something like this. The forum I mean.