adaw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Help with Diet/Program - Should I Keep Getting Leaner?

Hi guys!

So I posted something similar a couple weeks before but didn't get any replies. Thought I'd give it another shot and frame the question differently. I know this is a common one - but I feel having some more experienced opinions would be helpful to guide me in the right direction.

I’ve been working out seriously for about 3 years now, and have made some decent progress (progress pic/current pics attached below).

I’ve been cutting for two-three months since July and its been moving slowly. I’ve gone from about 168-160 pounds in this period. It wouldn’t be so frustrating if it weren’t for the fact I always seem to plateau after losing 7/8 pounds every time I cut. I've never been lean as I've wanted.

My workouts are organized in a standard push, pull, legs routine with about 15 minutes of HIIT cardio every other day. I do compounds and accessory lifts usually in the 8-12 rep range for accessories and 4-8 for compounds. Usually I hit the gym for an hour 5-6 days a week.

To be clear, my goal from the start has always to have visible abs - an aesthetically pleasing physique that isn’t necessarily massive, but still muscular. I want to look toned, I’ve never seen my abs before and it’s a huge goal for me - and will make bulking up later much easier to digest (no pun intended) when I get there. I’ve read a lot about getting lean before getting bigger and I’m inclined to agree with this approach based on my goals.

I’ve never been able to achieve the lean physique I want yet, though I feel I am getting closer. Here are my stats:
    5’10"
    Approx. 161 pounds

So what do you guys think? Should I push further and keep getting leaner/cutting - am I just looking for an excuse to give up? Should I be focusing on building muscle to achieve the physique I want in the first place? The other thing I wonder is if this has to do with my actual abs being underdeveloped? I feel like there’s a decent layer of fat there, when I sit down for instance there are obvious fat folds on my stomach.

Thanks in advance for all your opinions!
    Attached Images

daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you've been lifting seriously for 3 years (assuming you were on a good routine), you should have the musculature to support a decent cut and look muscular. My internet is being weird, so I haven't seen your pics, so I'm assuming this is the case. Having visible abs is not difficult, just continue on a caloric deficit until they start to show up. You say you plateau after cutting, what does that mean? If you stop losing weight, you're no longer in a caloric deficit. Are you counting calories?

What does your routine look like, and what are your lifts?

adaw1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by daudi81 View Post
    If you've been lifting seriously for 3 years (assuming you were on a good routine), you should have the musculature to support a decent cut and look muscular. My internet is being weird, so I haven't seen your pics, so I'm assuming this is the case. Having visible abs is not difficult, just continue on a caloric deficit until they start to show up. You say you plateau after cutting, what does that mean? If you stop losing weight, you're no longer in a caloric deficit. Are you counting calories?

What does your routine look like, and what are your lifts?
    Thanks for the reply, daudi81!

I also don’t know how I forgot to bring up diet in general in my post, since that’s most of what I put the most attention too changing when getting leaner. So, I eat about 160-170g of protein a day. I track my calories on myfitnesspal daily. Calories are currently 2300/day (though I seem to be able to eat under that now no problem - more around 2100). Should I be cutting even more calories if I'm not losing weight?

As of a couple weeks ago I’ve been intermittent fasting on weekdays and it’s been moving the scale a little bit. Who knows if it’s water weight since before I was notorious for eating late (and weighing myself in the morning).

daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by adaw1 View Post
    Should I be cutting even more calories if I'm not losing weight?
    Yep. If you're not losing weight, you're not in a deficit. If you're not in a deficit, you're not losing overall body fat, which will make it difficult to see abs if they aren't already visible.

tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) tblodg15 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You look fairly lean now so if it was me I think I would focus on building muscle. If seeing your abs is your largest overall goal then yes lower your calories more and continue cutting. But as you said it is possible that your abs still need to be developed and by the time you get lean enough to see them now you will be really skinny overall. Focus on the positive and you definitely look better now in your before and after pic!
    Bodybuilding is much more than an hour in the gym a few days a week---it's a lifestyle that changes all your perceptions about how to live, eat, and rest. It feeds the mind as much (and sometimes more so) than the body.
    ~Originally posted by ironwill2008