robsleeps is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Brand new looking for pointers

I'm 34 and just started going to the gym about 2 months ago. I'm 6' and started at about 175LBS and am now at 165 LBS. My goal is not to lose weight but to gain a little muscle. I do not want to be a huge body builder or anything crazy like that. My routine at the gym normally goes like so and in this order....

Run 1.5 miles at 2 degree incline on treadmill at 7.5mph followed by walking another half mile (I started out walking 1 mile at 4 mph so I have increased my stamina noticeably)

4 sets of 10 reps on the seated abdominal crunch machine with 120LBS

4 sets of 10 tricep pull downs with 90 LBS

3 sets of 8 seated bench press with 85 LBS

4 sets of 15 seated calf presses with 120 LBS

On days I can't get to the gym I'll do 3 sets of 15 crunches with 3 sets of 20 abdominal leg raises and either 1 set of max push-ups (currently 30) or 3 sets of 15 push-ups. Today I added a 60 second plank also since I couldn't get to the gym after work.

Is there a better order of doing things? Am I wasting my time with this routine I made up? I'd like to get my 6 pack back and hopefully fix my annoying back which I think has gotten better since starting at the gym.

BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000) BJP2k14 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes, youre wasting your time to be frank. If you want to get the best bang for your buck i'd recommend the starting strength LP.

17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Follow a professionally written novice routine, you are routine is very incomplete. Lots of routines in the stickies.

Weight loss, should be mainly done through a caloric deficit. Do the cardio after your weight lifting as all it's doing is preventing you from lifting properly.
    Texas Method Log *https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173755621*

Program spreadsheet **https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14MPWVNPbfmfkuoTMDaGih3pbM2-KQHZuSjcJPuwVE9c/edit?usp=sharing**

FMH Crew Little Beast

So cardio last is better? I was just assuming running first was getting my metabolism going but I can see how it does affect me on the weight lifting machines.

Another issue for me is time. Usually when I'm at the gym I am on a time limit between 45 minutes to an hour because I have to get my kids so I need to develop the most efficient work out in that time frame.

I'll take a look at the pre written routines today. Thank you!

dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dest0 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you're in a caloric deficit (read the stickies in the nutrition section) you'll lose weight. You don't have to do cardio to lose weight.

You can do cardio for overall health though or if you're training for something.

If I only have an hour to work out, that's barely enough time for me to lift weights, let alone do cardio.

Also, your workout routine, well, sucks.. so get in a proven program like 'Fierce 5' (in the sticky of the exercise section) or 'Starting Strength' as mentioned above.
    “One of the greatest experiences in life is achieving personal goals that others said would be, ‘impossible to attain.’ Be proud of your success and share your story with others.” -Robert Cheeke

I read some of the routines on here and I just dont think my back is ready for things such as deadlifts. I've had back issues for a few years now and that's 1 of 2 of my motivations for getting my gym membership. The other being getting in shape like I used to be. I do not need to lose weight and I have a BMI right in the middle of the healthy range for my height. I do cardio for general health and to increase my stamina to keep up with my kids.

I'm looking to build up my core/lower back muscles so that I can do deadlifts and similar exercises without standing sideways the next few days after. Any routines for the crippled back people such as myself?

daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) daveminnich is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by robsleeps View Post
    I read some of the routines on here and I just dont think my back is ready for things such as deadlifts. I've had back issues for a few years now and that's 1 of 2 of my motivations for getting my gym membership. The other being getting in shape like I used to be. I do not need to lose weight and I have a BMI right in the middle of the healthy range for my height. I do cardio for general health and to increase my stamina to keep up with my kids.

I'm looking to build up my core/lower back muscles so that I can do deadlifts and similar exercises without standing sideways the next few days after. Any routines for the crippled back people such as myself?
    First of all, if you have back issues, talk to your physician about what you can and can't do.

Secondly, no one says you have to start with heavy weights on the lifts you're concerned with. Just start light. But please get on a proven lifting program.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    If your back issues are muscle related then weight training done properly should fix the issue.

If it's to do with spine/disks then you might need to get professional advice before starting training. But avoiding the area for your whole life will not solve the problem.

Thank you guys for the information. I'm not necessarily ignoring my back problem but have been babying it for to long which is why I am working on it now. I can say that my back would hurt pretty much every morning when I got up but since starting at the gym it only hurts a couple days per week if I sleep in a weird position so it's already making progress. Strangely the only exercise that affects my back that I currently do is the seated calf presses where i push the bar down using mainly my ankles. When i stand up from that machine i feel it in my back so i dont use that machine every time.

pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Don't see much to the program that will build any muscle. High probability that your back problems are related to being sedentary, and having little flexibility in your hips. Would consider a stretching program or yoga.